MLS - July 3 - Atlanta (Home)

Really frustrating result there. Felt like we were way too passive at times offensively, trying to dribble the ball into the net. Also feels like the team has let down the intensity a bit since the coaching change. Not the first time they've given up late leads.

Obviously nowhere even close to being concerned yet, but definitely annoying to see this team dropping points they have no business dropping.

Also, our attendance is embarrassing. MLS Cup Champions, holiday weekend, beautiful afternoon, and we can't even crack 18,000? Where have the fans gone? This team was averaging 24,000 fans a game like 3 years ago; we're MLS Cup champions and the stadium is empty. So disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers
Frustrating to give up two leads. I feel like a draw magnet right now. Was also at the Rapids match and I recently went to a Hartford Athletic match that ended 1-1.

On a bright spot Taty is tied for top scorer in the league now with 10 and hit the 50 mark in MLS overall with his second. Please please please can we keep him till the end of the season ?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
we gave up a lot of chances on goal. atlanta are a good attacking side and the showed it. they had a good bunch of chances on goal and johnson came up with some decent saves. a clinical finish and a slip + slow man marking were the difference for us on defense. wouldn't have mattered if we were as clinical in front of goal. taty's missed header and santi's post came back to haunt us.

we looked pretty good for the last game in a rough 2 weeks with congestion, ronny, and some injuries. wasn't pretty but this team can bounce back.

I blame whoever calibrated santi's bionic leg today. first it was too strong. then it was too weak.

Also, we need a #8 parks type player badly. I wouldn't mind seeing Santi play as an #8. His defensive workrate is decent and he's a good ball carrier. Zel would be good if he got more minutes to improve... but I also think he prefers playing as a regista.

anyway - a week off and then a rough 3 game week ahead.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
we gave up a lot of chances on goal. atlanta are a good attacking side and the showed it. they had a good bunch of chances on goal and johnson came up with some decent saves. a clinical finish and a slip + slow man marking were the difference for us on defense. wouldn't have mattered if we were as clinical in front of goal. taty's missed header and santi's post came back to haunt us.

we looked pretty good for the last game in a rough 2 weeks with congestion, ronny, and some injuries. wasn't pretty but this team can bounce back.

I blame whoever calibrated santi's bionic leg today. first it was too strong. then it was too weak.

Also, we need a #8 parks type player badly. I wouldn't mind seeing Santi play as an #8. His defensive workrate is decent and he's a good ball carrier. Zel would be good if he got more minutes to improve... but I also think he prefers playing as a regista.

anyway - a week off and then a rough 3 game week ahead.
Maybe unfair but when I read “Zel”, I had a bit of a convulsive reaction. Thinking about him and Gloster on the field at the same time gives me the shivers. Is Gedion getting time at NYCFC Dos?
Hope he’s improving.

Our first half was relentless. I think its unfair to hang lack of energy on the team after that. They showed plenty. They just couldn’t summon enough space In the box to find room for a finish. Keaton provides this depth. We are missing him.

I didnt see the equalizer (I had moved to the away end so we couldscore in bunches as we had every time I moved there before) but I thought Chanot and Fredo had their best matches in a long time before that. I’ll have to watch the replay but its hard to pick out a anyone who had a bad match, other than Santi’s bionic leg Calibration issues.

Nice to see Taty back in form. Though that may just hasten his exit. I really don’t get why he hasn’t sold yet. Given what Harrison has done in the prem it’s hard to imagine Taty wouldn’t do even better

Nice to see Taty back in form. Though that may just hasten his exit. I really don’t get why he hasn’t sold yet. Given what Harrison has done in the prem it’s hard to imagine Taty wouldn’t do even better
I was thinking during the game that this is the type of performance that should cause someone to pull the trigger and pay up.

Feel like defensively we haven't really been up to the standard lately. Johnson made 6 saves each of the last two games -- so that's 18 SOG against in the last two games. Just not good enough.

Glad I was able to tell the referee how bad his handling of the match and calls were and he could hear it.

It was hot today. Shocked there wasn’t a cooling break.

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
Also, our attendance is embarrassing. MLS Cup Champions, holiday weekend, beautiful afternoon, and we can't even crack 18,000? Where have the fans gone? This team was averaging 24,000 fans a game like 3 years ago; we're MLS Cup champions and the stadium is empty. So disappointing.

It did not surprisre me that attendance was lower as I suspect many locals started summer vacations this weekend. It did seem to me that there were more first timers and fewer regulars. Our section had new people, there were more families, and there was also an attempt at a wave in the second half. Starting a wave in a one goal game at a soccer match is not something for the regulars.

Report out from pitchside. As a newbie (and idiot) I learned some things.
  • Gates open 90 minutes before kickoff. Line to get in at the suite entrance already 50-100 deep by 10 minutes before gates open. Not a big deal if just entering stadium. But the process is surprisingly slow for the highest paying tickets in the stadium.
  • Because, once through ticketing there is another line to get bracelets. TIP - go to the line all the way on the righthand wall. That line is for both bracelets (Legends and pitchside). The other lines to the desk in the middle are for Legends only. (Or so I was told.) All of these lines moves surprisingly slowly.
  • Once past there we went straight into Legends. While others appeared to just grab tables on their own, we greeted the hostess and she took us to a table. Glass of wine was expensive, but a deep pour. We were given bottled water but asked for sparkling and got bottles of that.
  • Buffet was all good. Round 1 - lamb chops, roast chicken, sirloin (I think), garlic broccoli, roasted potatoes, tomato cucumber salad, pulled pork nachos. Round 2 - shrimp cocktail, crab claws (I said yes to the cup of melted butter but it was a waste as the cocktail sauce and remoulade (?) were better for dipping), 2nd pulled pork nachos. Also, when asking for a plate of shrimp and crab claws it is a fairly obscene amount they pile on the plate. Round 3 (dessert) - loved the ben & jerry's selection. IMHO the pastries aren't all that worth it. Brownies are good. The rest, meh.
  • Lion suggested eating and then getting to the seats for warmups. We could have skipped rounds 2 and 3 and done that. But honestly, it was hot, and we didn't see the point. I guess players/coaches might be chatty. We quite enjoyed sticking around and taking full advantage of the food and the air conditioning. Though I can see the value of being less stuffed and filling the gap with food at halftime.
  • On our way out we grabbed a plate full of the meh pastries, not realizing (a) we were already full to capacity and (b) you can't take food to pitchside. But if you have friends on the outside, this is a nice option.
  • Also on our way out we didn't know where to go. So we followed people downstairs which is how you get to Legends along the 1st and 3rd baseline seats, not pitchside. But we did discover that before getting out to the seats there is a wall of chocolate bars and peanuts for the taking.
  • The actual way to pitchside is to exit the restaurant onto the concourse and walk around to the monument park entrance (where we were told to throw away our free food).
  • As you come onto the field there are big coolers of soda and water on ice (no seltzer).
  • Halftime in the Pepsi restaurant (or whatever it's called). The food is a selection of the same food from Legends. Looked perfectly good but we were still stuffed. We did partake of the ice cream freezer and more drinks.
  • As mentioned before most of the seats on our side were empty. We were the last two seats on the endline on the away side. There were probably 20 empty seats between us and the next people seated.
  • The view / vibe really is a cool experience. It's extremely close when players come over for corner kicks. That said, I've sat front row or close to it in a few places. It's a fun experience if you can swing it sometime. But I don't know that I got more joy from what we did yesterday than my usual food rituals and seats in the front row of 136 (for $35ish dollars). Not meaning to take anything away from pitchside. It's more a comment that I really love my experience at YS - in 135, in PS, a couple times adjacent to chicken bucket. They're all special in different ways.

Parks smiles in spirit!

zfecndmper39np9x01pp.jpg

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Report out from pitchside. As a newbie (and idiot) I learned some things.
  • Gates open 90 minutes before kickoff. Line to get in at the suite entrance already 50-100 deep by 10 minutes before gates open. Not a big deal if just entering stadium. But the process is surprisingly slow for the highest paying tickets in the stadium.
  • Because, once through ticketing there is another line to get bracelets. TIP - go to the line all the way on the righthand wall. That line is for both bracelets (Legends and pitchside). The other lines to the desk in the middle are for Legends only. (Or so I was told.) All of these lines moves surprisingly slowly.
  • Once past there we went straight into Legends. While others appeared to just grab tables on their own, we greeted the hostess and she took us to a table. Glass of wine was expensive, but a deep pour. We were given bottled water but asked for sparkling and got bottles of that.
  • Buffet was all good. Round 1 - lamb chops, roast chicken, sirloin (I think), garlic broccoli, roasted potatoes, tomato cucumber salad, pulled pork nachos. Round 2 - shrimp cocktail, crab claws (I said yes to the cup of melted butter but it was a waste as the cocktail sauce and remoulade (?) were better for dipping), 2nd pulled pork nachos. Also, when asking for a plate of shrimp and crab claws it is a fairly obscene amount they pile on the plate. Round 3 (dessert) - loved the ben & jerry's selection. IMHO the pastries aren't all that worth it. Brownies are good. The rest, meh.
  • Lion suggested eating and then getting to the seats for warmups. We could have skipped rounds 2 and 3 and done that. But honestly, it was hot, and we didn't see the point. I guess players/coaches might be chatty. We quite enjoyed sticking around and taking full advantage of the food and the air conditioning. Though I can see the value of being less stuffed and filling the gap with food at halftime.
  • On our way out we grabbed a plate full of the meh pastries, not realizing (a) we were already full to capacity and (b) you can't take food to pitchside. But if you have friends on the outside, this is a nice option.
  • Also on our way out we didn't know where to go. So we followed people downstairs which is how you get to Legends along the 1st and 3rd baseline seats, not pitchside. But we did discover that before getting out to the seats there is a wall of chocolate bars and peanuts for the taking.
  • The actual way to pitchside is to exit the restaurant onto the concourse and walk around to the monument park entrance (where we were told to throw away our free food).
  • As you come onto the field there are big coolers of soda and water on ice (no seltzer).
  • Halftime in the Pepsi restaurant (or whatever it's called). The food is a selection of the same food from Legends. Looked perfectly good but we were still stuffed. We did partake of the ice cream freezer and more drinks.
  • As mentioned before most of the seats on our side were empty. We were the last two seats on the endline on the away side. There were probably 20 empty seats between us and the next people seated.
  • The view / vibe really is a cool experience. It's extremely close when players come over for corner kicks. That said, I've sat front row or close to it in a few places. It's a fun experience if you can swing it sometime. But I don't know that I got more joy from what we did yesterday than my usual food rituals and seats in the front row of 136 (for $35ish dollars). Not meaning to take anything away from pitchside. It's more a comment that I really love my experience at YS - in 135, in PS, a couple times adjacent to chicken bucket. They're all special in different ways.
Footy taking a moment to enjoy the fine food at Legends.
giphy.gif