MLS - July 30 - Columbus (Home)

The thing to do now is say your team didn’t lose due to the pitch size, but then still say they lost due to the pitch size.

"That would never happen in another league around the world"

Meanwhile, at her former league, at her former team:

Honestly, IMO, this is unbelievably idiotic and more tired than NYCFC fans waiting for a SSS. When Columbus beat us at “home” last time (or should we say at neutral site [RBA]), NYC was , again IMO, making them look pathetic for most of the match. Good on Columbus that they won the game with two goals on set pieces. Not sure how field size affects free kicks. (Jebus) When you look at the NYCFC goals from last night, is there a way to analyze how field size skewed in NYCFC’s favor? (First one on a set piece)
Columbus defending just looked horrid from the highlights I saw. Also, only one of Columbus’s Five goals in the last three games have come from the field run of play I believe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Honestly, IMO, this is unbelievably idiotic and more tired than NYCFC fans waiting for a SSS. When Columbus beat us at “home” last time (or should we say at neutral site [RBA]), NYC was , again IMO, making them look pathetic for most of the match. Good on Columbus that they won the game with two goals on set pieces. Not sure how field size affects free kicks. (Jebus) When you look at the NYCFC goals from last night, is there a way to analyze how field size skewed in NYCFC’s favor? (First one on a set piece)
Columbus defending just looked horrid from the highlights I saw. Also, only one of Columbus’s Five goals in the last three games have come from the field run of play I believe?

columbus fan:

1st goal - corner is closer to the goal on such a narrow field, so it's easier to hit the target attacker
2nd goal - field is shorter so easier to hit those long balls and get in on goal faster
3rd goal - shitty surface made the ball spin for what seemed like an eternity, hypnotizing afful and other defenders while nycfc took advantage since they are immune to such shitty surface effects
4th goal - Kelly screwed us. It was totally offsides.

in all seriousness.. it's a sad excuse. YS has hosted many international matches with no issues. The only problems with YS for soccer specific purposes are the sightlines in half the sections, the poor camera angles for TV, and the infield sod, which isn't always the best.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Two things on refereeing and one fun moment:

1. If you are going to call a garbage time penalty for a team down 4-0, you have to call one for a team up 5-0. Be consistent, PRO.
2. Nagbe picked up the ball twice before the whistle blew. That should be a yellow card.

When Erik Hurtado was being subbed on, I said "Erik Hurtado, get the vaccine!"

1. If you are going to call a garbage time penalty for a team down 4-0, you have to call one for a team up 5-0. Be consistent, PRO.
2. Nagbe picked up the ball twice before the whistle blew. That should be a yellow card.

The second time Nagbe picked up the ball was the worst one IMO and he definitely should’ve gotten a yellow for that.

kelly was calling a lot of extremely soft fouls against us all night, while letting the same or worse go against the crew. it really makes you wonder what he was really seeing. the one where nagbe picked up the ball because parks was bumping him from behind was no where near a foul and I think kelly only blew the whistle because nagbe picked up the ball, which is bs.

I sat in the stands watching the game last night, realizing we were without Jimmy and Sean and still unable to play 3 DPs at the same time, and thought: This is an MLS Cup-winning team. Maybe we catch NE, maybe we don't, but 538 is right -- this is the team to beat and I don't think anyone else has the depth we have or anything close to it.

That is literally the most positive thing I have ever posted on this site, other than compliments to Outfield articles.

The other point about our home advantage: NYCFC is a good team so it has a better home record than league average and a better away record than league average. But the team exceeds league average more for away games than home games, which means that comparatively, we do not have a particularly strong home advantage. We are simply a good team that naturally wins a lot of home games. I haven't checked this since some time in 2019, because in 2020 "home" rarely meant what it usually means for the entire league, and this year we still play as much at RBA as at YS.

I forget if we ever resolved this on the forum, but the latest Google Maps update has pitch lines on Yankee Stadium. It's not perfect, but the pitch is clearly 70 yards wide.
View attachment 11327

That's funny -- I did the same exact thing this morning and got 210 feet as well.

I also measured the visible corner of the 18 to corresponding corner of the 18 and got 222 feet. As long as the 18 is truly 18 yards, it measures on Google Maps exactly 110x70.

Watched the MLS in 15 video today.
Tinnerholm showing on his dramatic flair after Medina decides not to pass to a wide open Anton and shoot the ball straight into the keeper.
Other funny note:
Keaton’s celebration
Is that a big bird dance?

Last edited:
Tinnerholm showing on his dramatic flair after Medina decides not to pass to a wide open Anton and shoot the ball straight into the keeper.
Other funny note that as Keaton’s celebration. Is that a big bird dance?
Now that you mention it, that was a weird celebration. Must be some sort of inside joke. He looked like a dolphin to me

Other funny note that as Keaton’s celebration. Is that a big bird dance?

really wish medina had seen him out wide. you could see his disappointment and apologies to anton after he realized he had made the wrong decision. would have been great to get anton on the board with a goal. he was a beast last night and i want that anton every game from now on.

Following up on the "unfair advantage" of playing at Yankee Stadium:
From 2016-19 NYCFC had a Home PPG that exceeded league average by a factor of 1.16 and an Away PPG average that exceeded league average by a factor of 1.39. NYCFC ranked 4th in Home PPG and 3rd in Away PPG. In sum, NYCFC was a better Away team than it was a Home team. There is no evidence that Yankee Stadium contributed to NYCFC's overall record. Cue the eye test objections from those who are "just sure" it has to help NYCFC regardless of data.

FWIW, in 2020-21 NYCFC Home PPG went down but was higher compared to league average, while their rank went from 4th to 5th.
The Away PPG went up but lower compared to league average and rank from 3rd to 6th.

Overall, away teams have done better in 2020-21, which makes sense, given how many teams are still not playing at their true homes and much of last year was in empty stadiums.

PPGLeague AverageRatio to League AverageLeague Rank
2016-19 H
2.10​
1.81​
1.16​
2020-21 H
2.00​
1.66​
1.20​
2016-19 A
1.29​
0.93​