MLS - July 8 - Columbus (Away)

I thought overall we played a pretty good game. we created chances and had shots on goal. Crew keeper was having himself a game and sometimes, that's just how it is.

Santi, Haak, and Parks had a great game. Santi pulling that long ball out of the air and slipping it into Haak for a 2 touch finish top corner... exquisite! that's the kind of stuff we need to do more of.

Biggest bummer for me is magno. I'm really hyped for this kid. He's got so much potential, but I don't see the effort. No idea what it could be, but something/someone needs to a light a fire under his ass. If he ran hard when he was on tonight and played strong, he'd have changed the game. Instead, he was a liability.

Barraza is also kind of a bummer. He didn't have a terrible game per se. I just don't feel confident with him in goal. His footwork is better than Freese and that's likely why he gets the start, but lately, he hasn't shown any real ability to make use of it. A lot of wasted kicks out of bounds and long balls to nobody.

Reactions: Revfugee and Vallos
It was a good game by us. I disagree that Barraza has been a bummer, I thought he did a great job today. The only reason they scored as far as I can see is bc of a deflection.

That being said, come on. Down a man we tie after up a goal. We should have won that game, and the fact we didn't isn't even surprising. When I watched us go down a man, I knew "somehow this is either gonna end a tie (0-0) or with columbus winning" - I was right, although the score wasn't 0-0. It's getting REALLY annoying. I don't care that we played really well. I want us to win. Play good soccer and win.

And because of that, this performance, to me, is unacceptable.

Reactions: snugglefarts
The question I have is how difficult is it up a goal and a man to get the ball and control the game… Slow the pace down… cause it looked impossible tonight.

And it looks like another let’s dump on Magno session and I at the moment, am all in until someone can help me walk it off.

get 2 or 3 strikers in ASAP because the current options aren’t even good enough as backups, then forfeit the league cup game and spend the next 4 weeks doing shooting practice and integrating the new players

In 20 games against the rest of MLS Columbus scores 2.05 goals per game. Against NYCFC 1.0 per. As noted above we stopped conceding set piece goals. In the last 8 games NYCFC played 5 times without it's national team D-Mid and all but 30 minutes without it's DP center back, and conceded just 6 goals.*

Complaining about a deflected goal during 12 minutes of extra time is really beside the point. We don't score enough.

In 20 games against the rest of MLS Columbus scores 2.05 goals per game. Against NYCFC 1.0 per. As noted above we stopped conceding set piece goals. In the last 8 games NYCFC played 5 times without it's national team D-Mid and all but 30 minutes without it's DP center back, and conceded just 6 goals.*

Complaining about a deflected goal during 12 minutes of extra time is really beside the point. We don't score enough.
100% agreed. Barraza has been good, imo. The defence has been good (some people will say losing callens was bad, but I mean our defense has still been pretty solid without him...).... it's the offense. It's really, really starting to get annoying.

I know people will say it was because of Taty leaving, but I have been pointing this out since last season before taty even left... we just haven't been good enough - last season i went to multiple yawn-enducing games where we either tied 0-0 or won like 1-0. It's not just this season. We need something more.

The question I have is how difficult is it up a goal and a man to get the ball and control the game… Slow the pace down… cause it looked impossible tonight.
If your team is up a man and up a goal, one of two things should happen:

1. Possess the ball and slow the game down, win fouls and generally squeeze the life out of the other team.

2. Take advantage of the extra space provided and the pressing/aggressive pushing forward by the other team to be lethal on the counter and run up the score.

This team did neither of those two things. Really disappointing to concede there.

We've very recently shown some better attacking promise but on the season so far (minus today's match) FBRef has us at only +0.3 xGD, which is 11th in the Eastern Conference and the lowest positive xGD in the East.
We're both not creating enough in the aggregate (maybe this is changing?) *and* failing to capitalize on what we do create.
Defensively, however, we're the fourth best team in the East by xGA (tied with Cincy) and 7th best by GA.

In 11 previous Home games, Columbus scored 29 goals for an average of 2.6 goals per game. We held them to one.

Don't make me look up the stats about teams who score after going down a man. Don't go there. This was an amazing defensive performance against the best offense in the league.
This. NYCFC’s problem is not preventing goals. It’s scoring them.

Nycfc also kept the highest scoring home team to one goal without nycfc’s starting DM and starting CB (who only played 30 mins or so). They actually have been better over the last games even with Chanot, Sands, Martins all missing time.

Watched on delay.

In any other season a draw at Columbus with a rotated squad would be fine.

Very disappointing that we failed to possess and kill the match.

However, tonight there was so much progress and promise. Gaby was a weird combo of unlucky and not quite good enough. Our second string pitched a shutout for 90+ minutes against the top scoring team in the league in their house, Haak finished clinically (fight me on that), and the backline was pinging line breaking passes all night.

Pretty sure that if Eloi Room is in the net we win 3-1 or 4-1. Or if we had a real striker.

I’ve been saying for weeks that this team is better than its results. We are playing with one hand tied behind our back until we get a real striker.

We didn’t lose draw because of Talles and I still think he can be useful, but he was by far the worst of our subs tonight. The others all brought energy and he did not.

Bottom line: no excuse for not possessing up a man and up a goal. But if we had a striker we would have been up more than one goal.

P.S. Haak was excellent both ways. Really thrilled to see him score.

Reminder that Columbus was at full strength for 68 minutes. This was only the second time this season that Columbus at home failed to score in the first half. Their average time of first goal at home is 27 minutes. As it happens, the only other game they didn't score in the first half they also equalized in added time for a 1-1 draw against the Revs. They've only been shut out once all year, away to Charlotte. Even on the road, they score in the first half more than half the time and 1 of the few times they did not was against us.

It's impossible to spend 20 minutes diddling with the ball in the corner near the opposing goal. After Nancy's red the Crew were buzzing like NYCFC did after Yangel's ejection against Chicago in 2017 and the double red game against RB in 2018. When that happens, especially when the team playing short is at home, all the opponent can do is try to hold on, even with the advantage. The other team exists and is entitled to affect the game conditions even a man down.

As for finishing, even after these last 2 games NYC has 24 goals on 24.04 xG in 23 games. It's not finishing. It also has nothing to do with knowing how to close out games or a winner's mentality. NYCFC fails to generate sufficient good shot opportunities. One goal per game on one xGoal per game ain't enough.

In 2021, NYCFC had single digit shot counts in 5.8% of its games. This year it is 33.3%.
2021 NYCFC shot 20 or more times in 20.6% of games. This year it is 8.3%.

I know people will say it was because of Taty leaving, but I have been pointing this out since last season before taty even left... we just haven't been good enough - last season i went to multiple yawn-enducing games where we either tied 0-0 or won like 1-0. It's not just this season. We need something more.
I remember you saying that last year. I also remember that even before Taty left NYCFC had a weird inverted bell curve for scoring goals. They either scored 0-1, or 4 or more. They rarely scored 2 or 3. But before Taty left they also were held scoreless just once. This year 6 times in about the same number of games. That, plus 5 games of 4 or more goals, all before Taty left, make a huge difference between then and now IMO.

Reactions: Shwafta
. But before Taty left they also were held scoreless just once.
Ahh, see I couldn't remember what the scores were exactly, I just remember they were scraping close, so they must have been those 1-0 games. I remember, I think, Chicago where the game was boring as all heck and we got ice cream in mets hats, and we won on an heber penalty maybe?

Reactions: mgarbowski