MLS - July 8 - Columbus (Away)

At the game last night my friend was wearing a James Sands jersey. Someone pats him on the back in plain clothes and says “nice jersey”. My friend responds jokingly “we have the better brother!” I laughed and said “what if that’s his parents you jerk!” Turns out it was the Sands family hahaha the mom was none to happy with my friend and scolded him. The father was very friendly and chatted with us for a few seconds saying they’ve been disappointed by the lack of Sands jerseys in the stands haha They also laughed that no sons were playing in the game and they had this date scheduled all year on the calendar. They’re going to Cincy today to watch James play. Told them we love watching James and we appreciate his hard work. Then we went our separate ways.

What a beautiful stadium and incredible atmosphere. People saying our renderings looked like the Crew stadium. I’d be more than happy with it. Best away stadium I’ve seen so far.

Onto Cincy to see TQL and the USMNT!

a9e456609ebc1847.png

At the game last night my friend was wearing a James Sands jersey. Someone pats him on the back in plain clothes and says “nice jersey”. My friend responds jokingly “we have the better brother!” I laughed and said “what if that’s his parents you jerk!” Turns out it was the Sands family hahaha the mom was none to happy with my friend and scolded him. The father was very friendly and chatted with us for a few seconds saying they’ve been disappointed by the lack of Sands jerseys in the stands haha They also laughed that no sons were playing in the game and they had this date scheduled all year on the calendar. They’re going to Cincy today to watch James play. Told them we love watching James and we appreciate his hard work. Then we went our separate ways.

What a beautiful stadium and incredible atmosphere. People saying our renderings looked like the Crew stadium. I’d be more than happy with it. Best away stadium I’ve seen so far.

Onto Cincy to see TQL and the USMNT!
This is an absolutely hilarious story. Love that you shared it! thanks!!
Hopefully they get next year to witness the Sands battle lol.

Watching MLS Wrap-Up, the host says this was our first ever trip to Lower.com field. It was not, we played there last year. Really, MLS is producing these shows and are just messing up with easy stats and figures. It's very disappointing.

• Sad
Reactions: Kenny and moogoo
lots from this game, so posting here. presented by an unkel!

I just noticed that after the call on the kick to Chanot's face, the Crew players talking to the ref were mimicking how Chanot moved his head down towards the ball and into the kick. Which he did in fact do.
NYCFC fans might remember the 2018 playoff game with Atlanta where an NYCFC goal was waved off when Martinez dove head first towards a Villa bicycle kick and Villa was called for dangerous play. It's the same principle. You're entitled to head the ball and opponents have an obligation not to kick you in the head, even if you put your head in the way of their foot. I know some folks here still think the 2018 call was wrong but it's the right call then and the right call on Saturday.
Crew fans are super salty about this game, and most non-NYCFC fans seem to be taking their side. But most of their ire is about the dissent calls which the Instant Replay feature can't really address. We don't know what Cucho said after the first half ended. But if Crew fans keep this up they could rival Philly fans for sheer obnoxiousness.

Last edited:
I just noticed that after the call on the kick to Chanot's face, the Crew players talking to the ref were mimicking how Chanot moved his head down towards the ball and into the kick. Which he did in fact do.
NYCFC fans might remember the 2018 playoff game with Atlanta where an NYCFC goal was waved off when Martinez dove head first towards a Villa bicycle kick and Villa was called for dangerous play. It's the same principle. You're entitled to head the ball and opponents have an obligation not to kick you in the head, even if you put your head in the way of their foot. I know some folks here still think the 2018 call was wrong but it's the right call then and the right call on Saturday.
Crew fans are super salty about this game, and most non-NYCFC fans seem to be taking their side. But most of their ire is about the dissent calls which the Instant Replay feature can't really address. We don't know what Cucho said after the first half ended. But if Crew fans keep this up they could rival Philly fans for sheer obnoxiousness.

During the game the announcers said something about thinking the players were arguing chanot lowered his head too much and therefore it wasn't a high boot.

Clearly, his head wasn't very low. I remember being upset about the villa foul. I'd have to look at the replay again but I seem to remember being upset because I didn't think Martinez actually got kicked. Time to go digging..

Update.. ok went back and looked. Martinez jump and turns his back to the ball as villa attempts the bike. Think I was upset at the time because he didn't actually try to play the ball and villa didn't actually make contact with Martinez. But with a calmer head, I can understand a dangerous play call. I don't think it's clear cut as what cucho did to chanot though

Last edited:
During the game the announcers said something about thinking the players were arguing chanot lowered his head too much and therefore it wasn't a high boot.

Clearly, his head wasn't very low. I remember being upset about the villa foul. I'd have to look at the replay again but I seem to remember being upset because I didn't think Martinez actually got kicked. Time to go digging..
I looked at it just before posting. It's hard to tell. Head, ball and foot all came together but it's not certain that foot and head connected. That's why I wrote "dangerous play" rather than "kicking Martinez in the head." Fouls can occur without contact.

Reactions: Shwafta and moogoo
Here's the Atlanta sequence:

It's definitely not a great idea by Villa to try that when he sees martinez running towards him... Def a foul in hindsight.

Chanot call was also the right one, imo. Yes his head goes down a bit, but that's a totally legitimate head level.

Reactions: mgarbowski
If we're being honest, that ref was an embarrassment on Saturday. Crew fans have every right to be annoyed.

This
I still believe that Josef Martinez didn't a play on the ball but rather made a play onto Villa's leg to draw the contact.
What a coincidence. That's just what Crew fans are saying.

My advice to anyone who complains about ref calls or rulings or whatever is the same as Bob Newhart in this clip. Doesn't mater if you're a Crew fan, Union fan, or NYCFC, or whatever.

Last edited: