MLS - June 19 - Colorado (Home)

Attendance was listed as 19,812. Probably our largest amount of people inside the stadium this year. Felt a lot better than previous games.

Team looked rusty, and Colorado came to muck it up. They were going for 0-0, and they almost got the smash and grab. That connection between Maxi and Talles for the goal was gorgeous. I agree that the ref was inconsistent at best -- way too many whistles at times, then other times he let the teams play. Frustrating.

All things considered, not a terrible outing. First game after a layoff is always a bit rough around the edges, but seems like we'll be just fine here.

Almost 20 K that's not bad. I believe we used to do mid 20's way back in the day? I guess there are a lot of factors the stadium issues, covid etc. that contributed to that. I was impressed with the atmosphere this was actually my second match attended (and second 1-1 draw) this week after going to the Hartford Athletic match midweek. Doing them both so close together you do really notice the big step up between the leagues both in quality of play and crowd size/atmosphere.

The contact by the keeper on Magno early in the first half was a penalty. I am fairly shocked it wasn't overturned. There was clear contact, and it was enough to cause Magno to fall. Further, if there were not contact, Magno would have gotten to the ball and had a shot at an open goal - albeit from a tough angle.

There was a camera shot from behind the goal that was extremely convincing, but they only showed it once on the broadcast, and I haven't found it on line.

- Colorado GK picking up the ball outside the 18 on Taty's first chance.
- This missed penalty.
- 4 minutes of added time then 2 minutes of added time?
- On a shot the goalkeeper collected the ball, then placed the ball on the ground, then picked the ball up again.
- Maxi's foul on Jack Price that was very soft, but not calling the "foul" on Cacha that led to Colorado's goal.
- There was another time or time we won the ball high up the field but a whistle was called against us.

I tried to measure Ronny's sub patterns a while back, I forget when, but maybe last year during the slide? Problem is I could not figure out a way to check that directly with public data that doesn't require manually reviewing sub patterns for all the individual games for multiple teams, which even I was never going to do. As a proxy, I measured average minutes per appearance for the top 8 or 10 field players on several MLS teams, with I think a couple of further tweaks to be slightly more meaningful. I'm pretty sure it showed we were right there in the pack and not much of an outlier. Maybe Soup is right and we mostly had early subs but that's not what I remember finding (but I don't know for sure and I'm not up to searching for it). I'm quite certain we did not tend to have unusually late subs as so many people assumed. But maybe my method was more imperfect than I thought.

At the end of the season or maybe offseason, I also remember reading multiple claims that we objectively had the latest average sub times in the league according to some actual solid analysis. But I couldn't trace the original source of this claim and figure out if I trusted their data and methods. Which is a long way of saying my knowledge of Ronny's actual sub time tendencies is worth little more than a shoulder shrug.

Beyond all of that, BklynB says (somewhat tongue in cheek) that the numbers don't matter, because we have more depth and should sub earlier than anyone. I dispute that we have depth on the back half of the field where I think we are thin. We do have more than average attacking options, but we also have some of the best first choices and you can just as easily say it makes no sense to have the best attackers in the league and play them less than anyone else plays their first choices.

As for yesterday, it's been pointed out that Keaton just got married like 2 days before the game and we have 5 games in 15 days but we also came off 3 weeks rest and rust and there are a variety of ways to handle that and maybe there's a Nick Cushing thought process that takes that off all of that into account instead of dissecting the sub patterns in individual games as if they were all stand alone events with no history or future.

Overall, I think soccer fans obsess over lineup and sub decisions for the same reason football fans do the same for run/pass play-calling and baseball fans do for batting order and pitching changes. I think they are all easy to see and easy to discuss and so people talk about them because it's easier than subtle stuff like in-game soccer shape changes by both teams, or offensive line schemes in football, which even if you see clearly it's hard to explain to a public audience which mostly doesn't.* So we talk about sub times, and especially like to blame them when results are not what we want. And sometimes they are to blame, and sometimes a coach has bad tendencies, but I don't think it is the case that it drives results nearly as much as people say.

It's once again the metaphor of the guy who looks for his car keys under the streetlamp because that's where the light is good, even though he's pretty sure he lost them down the block where it’s dark.

* And TBH, I'm still not all that adept at seeing that stuff myself in real time until someone points it out. I catch it sometimes, but not consistently.

Last edited:
- Colorado GK picking up the ball outside the 18 on Taty's first chance.
- This missed penalty.
- 4 minutes of added time then 2 minutes of added time?
- On a shot the goalkeeper collected the ball, then placed the ball on the ground, then picked the ball up again.
- Maxi's foul on Jack Price that was very soft, but not calling the "foul" on Cacha that led to Colorado's goal.
- There was another time or time we won the ball high up the field but a whistle was called against us.
I think anyone sitting on the right side behind the goal saw that the keeper clearly made contact. I was 100% waiting for the PK call and even thought the ref was signaling a PK but was just weirdly off in how he was directing his hand signal.
Talles put on quite a show yesterday. It solidified my belief that if I had a choice to keep either Taty or Magno from now until the end of their career, I choose Talles.
As off as people thought he team was at times they looked like they were on another level. I’m kinda surprised they only had one goal. Putting the ball into the net is obviously harder than it looks from a seat in the 211section or the couch in front of the TV.

Last edited:
I tried to measure Ronny's sub patterns a while back, I forget when, but maybe last year during the slide? Problem is I could not figure out a way to check that directly with public data that doesn't require manually reviewing sub patterns for all the individual games for multiple teams, which even I was never going to do. As a proxy, I measured average minutes per appearance for the top 8 or 10 field players on several MLS teams, with I think a couple of further tweaks to be slightly more meaningful. I'm pretty sure it showed we were right there in the pack and not much of an outlier. Maybe Soup is right and we mostly had early subs but that's not what I remember finding (but I don't know for sure and I'm not up to searching for it). I'm quite certain we did not tend to have unusually late subs as so many people assumed. But maybe my method was more imperfect than I thought.

At the end of the season or maybe offseason, I also remember reading multiple claims that we objectively had the latest average sub times in the league according to some actual solid analysis. But I couldn't trace the original source of this claim and figure out if I trusted their data and methods. Which is a long way of saying my knowledge of Ronny's actual sub time tendencies is worth little more than a shoulder shrug.

Beyond all of that, BklynB says (somewhat tongue in cheek) that the numbers don't matter, because we have more depth and should sub earlier than anyone. I dispute that we have depth on the back half of the field where I think we are thin. We do have more than average attacking options, but we also have some of the best first choices and you can just as easily say it makes no sense to have the best attackers in the league and play them less than anyone else plays their first choices.

As for yesterday, it's been pointed out that Keaton just got married like 2 days before the game and we have 5 games in 15 days but we also came off 3 weeks rest and rust and there are a variety of ways to handle that and maybe there's a Nick Cushing thought process that takes that off all of that into account instead of dissecting the sub patterns in individual games as if they were all stand alone events with no history or future.

Overall, I think soccer fans obsess over lineup and sub decisions for the same reason football fans do the same for run/pass play-calling and baseball fans do for batting order and pitching changes. I think they are all easy to see and easy to discuss and so people talk about them because it's easier than subtle stuff like in-game soccer shape changes by both teams, or offensive line schemes in football, which even if you see clearly it's hard to explain to a public audience which mostly doesn't.* So we talk about sub times, and especially like to blame them when results are not what we want. And sometimes they are to blame, and sometimes a coach has bad tendencies, but I don't think it is the case that it drives results nearly as much as people say.

It's once again the metaphor of the guy who looks for his car keys under the streetlamp because that's where the light is good, even though he's pretty sure he lost them down the block.

* And TBH, I'm still not all that adept at seeing that stuff myself in real time until someone points it out. I catch it sometimes, but not consistently.

Excellent post. Good points regarding type of depth, bias, and substitutions related to shape.

Acknowledging bias - and how amorphous this will read - I would still assert that when one regularly watches a team in any sport a "sense" develops regarding play and roster. Yesterday, that sense cried for substitution before the 71st minute. Parks was the easy answer as it was a regular starter in a one for one switch (a switch that did, in fact, work). However, there were other options:

1) Zelalem for Acevedo. He may not be as influential as Parks, but he would definitely have progressed the ball better than Acevedo.

2) Thiago for Acevedo. Move Santi back to the midfield for a trio with the Moraleszeszes. Colorado wasn't pushing enough to make any defensive liabilities a worry.

3) Chanot for Acevedo and Tinnerholm for Gray. A back three, giving Anton and Malte free rein to push up on the wings. As someone else noted, Colorado tried to clog the middle - this could have been an alternative.

I think Acevedo has a role with this team. Yesterday ain't it. Offensive spark was needed more than defensive solidity. This team - with this roster - should be able to shift to create more offense.

( I also don't understand the failure to use multiple substitutes with the upcoming schedule - 8 games in 4 weeks is a lot)

Reactions: mgarbowski
gpVB8r.gif

giphy.gif

fwiw (not much), MLS instant replay fools say no PK, talles embellished due to his dragging the right leg as he saw keeper coming.

I don't think it's a PK either, tbh.
I understand why it wasn't given, but I can also understand it being given.

However it kinda looks like the goalkeeper doesn't touch him (from both angles you posted) and Magno kinda jumps into it and makes it look like he got hit.

Reactions: dark knight
I was in 210 so had a pretty good view of it. I think there was contact but also Talles probably exaggerated it a bit. I definitely think their are leagues where it's given but MLS tries to be a bit more rugged?

If Talles doesn't drag his foot, he's coming at full speed at the goalkeeper and more than likely to injury himself.

And because the referee never went to the monitor, this play won't be in PRO's weekly segment about calls that went to review and thus they won't have to publicly acknowledge whether there was a mistake.