MLS - June 19 - Colorado (Home)

What was the rationale for a penalty not given when Yardbird took out Taty? From the view in the stadium it looked like Taty was by him and yards took his legs out. Looked very clear on the replay.

NYCFC was that penalty and Taty’s crossbar from a comfortable 3-1 win. Colorado showed up to foul, disrupt and it almost worked with that individual moment from Barrios.

That said, NYCFC looked rusty and wasn’t connecting, although they had a ton of possession. Need to be better against RBNJ and PHL.

VAR likely deemed not enough contact to overturn the no call on the field.

imho, you shouldn't be punishing a player for avoiding a potentially serious injury. it shouldn't be whether there is contact but whether the play by the defender impeded the player from making the play. in this case, yarl-keeper did just that. should have been a PK but laws are laws.

ref was also calling some very soft penalties against us when maxi and taty were otherwise in on goal. especially the one where maxi pickpocketed price. there was absolutely nothing there except for price throwing his hands up.

Reactions: LionNYC
Taty and Maxi bringing that Keaton smile

FVpXWUrWQAw9FT4

Also a bit peeved that Talles Magno went over to go celebrate the goal and take a video with the social media guy. That’s a bit of his age, get your ass back to midfield and get a winner then you can celebrate all you want.

Nah this is a silly take.

Edit: lmao with context this is an even worse take

Reactions: Shwafta
It was definitely disappointing, but kudos to Colorado. They played their asses off to hang on to a point. I think they got a little lucky to score and we were a little unlucky to not get our second. But I don't think we can honestly say today's result wasn't fair. (Well, maybe the officiating left a something to be desired. LOL)

We played well. Nick looked comfortable. The effort was really good. Our timing was just a little off, and not by all that much. Definitely feels like we should have gotten three, but definitely does not feel like some kind of disaster.
I agree, Colorado came to play today, they didn't look like a .500 team on the road against the MLS champions.

I like your attitude. I'm on board with "everything is still on track, nothing to worry about, onward to glory!"

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Parks should have replaced Acevedo sooner. The flow was far better, and there was minimal need for extra defensive cover in the midfield with Colorado content to sit in their half.

If Cushing retains only one thing from Ronny, please do not make it late substitutions.

Parks should have replaced Acevedo sooner. The flow was far better, and there was minimal need for extra defensive cover in the midfield with Colorado content to sit in their half.

If Cushing retains only one thing from Ronny, please do not make it late substitutions.
I'm still not sure why Keaton didn't start, to be honest. If I'm the manager, he's in my XI every single game as long as he's fit and not in need of rest. We're coming off a long layoff so I don't understand why he'd need rest now.

I thought gray was the worst player today. morales played like a beast, covering for him and at times, acevedo. gray just wasn't very effective. i still don't understand how he's become a pro with how unbalanced he is. some guys, they look unbalanced but they are perfectly in control. gray seems to lose control of his body a lot.

i don't think he was completely horrible today, but he wasn't great. it was a passable performance but nothing that impressed. malte was slightly more threatening, but a few poor decisions that amounted to hesitation, i think cost us chances.

we needed more from our wingbacks today since colorado played very narrow to clog up the middle. when we were able to go up the middle, it broke down due to a poor touch or heavy pass, which is nothing more than rust.

taty was visibly frustrated and I get it. we were slow today with our decision making. things should get better but I wish we had another game or two before we play RBNJ. it's going to be a messy and difficult game if we are unable to play quickly and sharpy.

Slightly disappointed with the result but this was my first time making it to a match in few years so it was nice to get back in the saddle. It was my first time seeing a few of the newer guys live.

Did anyone think The Rapids fouled on the build up to their goal ? It looked like it from where I was sitting and the people around me seemed to think so.

Talles Magno's goal was a thing of beauty especially for a player that I sometimes feel is lacking in end product.

Anyone have a guess on crowd size today ? I felt like it was a bit smaller than when I used to go regularly but saw people on here or twitter saying it was a good crowd today.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Attendance was listed as 19,812. Probably our largest amount of people inside the stadium this year. Felt a lot better than previous games.

Team looked rusty, and Colorado came to muck it up. They were going for 0-0, and they almost got the smash and grab. That connection between Maxi and Talles for the goal was gorgeous. I agree that the ref was inconsistent at best -- way too many whistles at times, then other times he let the teams play. Frustrating.

All things considered, not a terrible outing. First game after a layoff is always a bit rough around the edges, but seems like we'll be just fine here.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Did nobody besides me think we kicked a ton of long balls instead of playing out of the back like we did in the olden days (i.e., every other match we've ever played before today)? Also, seemed like designed plays rather than normal corner kicks (possibly over-creative designed plays LOL). Seemed like a good bit of difference between today's game and our usual (old?) style. Not objecting at all, just struck me as rather different and nobody's said anything.

Did nobody besides me think we kicked a ton of long balls instead of playing out of the back like we did in the olden days (i.e., every other match we've ever played before today)? Also, seemed like designed plays rather than normal corner kicks (possibly over-creative designed plays LOL). Seemed like a good bit of difference between today's game and our usual (old?) style. Not objecting at all, just struck me as rather different and nobody's said anything.

I'm wondering if it had to do with how much Colorado packed the midfield. They kind of forced us into playing up the wings which doesn't really allow for the kind of build-up we normally see.

Reactions: mgarbowski

as mentioned, colorado packed the middle of the field. acevedo wasn't able to move the ball up as well as parks does. when parks came on, we worked it out of the back more effectively and faster.

on the whole, team was just 1-2 steps behind their usual speed. we'll need to get back to form quickly with the red bulls high press on wednesday. if we are slow and kick long balls all game, it's gonna be a rough one.

Keaton dribbles. That's my takeaway comparing him to Acevedo. When Acevedo receives the ball he looks for passes with minimal movement on his part. When Keaton receives the ball he immediately starts dribbling into space while looking for passing lanes. So the whole offense moves forward much more fluidly with Keaton. That's my eyeball assessment of yesterday at any rate.

I’m pretty sure Ronny had one of the earliest average times of substitution in MLS

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
I’m pretty sure Ronny had one of the earliest average times of substitution in MLS

Don't confuse the issue with facts and data.

Sarcasm aside, even if Ronny substituted sooner on average than other MLS coaches, it still could be later than it should be. The team's greatest strength compared to the rest of the league is depth, but that is only a strength if it is used. It is clearly too early to gauge a trend with Cushing as manager, but yesterday Parks needed to enter the game sooner. It was obvious that something had to change to progress the ball, and as soon as Parks entered, the team looked and played better.

Also, there is a busy two weeks ahead, with a Cup game Wednesday followed by road contests against Eastern playoff teams. The substitutions:

Parks - Acevedo 71'
Thiago - Rodriguez 81'
Chanot - Martins 93' (only due to injury)

I know the team should be rested after the international break, but the substitution pattern in this game neither reflected the game or looked forward to the upcoming schedule.

The contact by the keeper on Magno early in the first half was a penalty. I am fairly shocked it wasn't overturned. There was clear contact, and it was enough to cause Magno to fall. Further, if there were not contact, Magno would have gotten to the ball and had a shot at an open goal - albeit from a tough angle.

There was a camera shot from behind the goal that was extremely convincing, but they only showed it once on the broadcast, and I haven't found it on line.

Don't confuse the issue with facts and data.

Sarcasm aside, even if Ronny substituted sooner on average than other MLS coaches, it still could be later than it should be. The team's greatest strength compared to the rest of the league is depth, but that is only a strength if it is used. It is clearly too early to gauge a trend with Cushing as manager, but yesterday Parks needed to enter the game sooner. It was obvious that something had to change to progress the ball, and as soon as Parks entered, the team looked and played better.

Also, there is a busy two weeks ahead, with a Cup game Wednesday followed by road contests against Eastern playoff teams. The substitutions:

Parks - Acevedo 71'
Thiago - Rodriguez 81'
Chanot - Martins 93' (only due to injury)

I know the team should be rested after the international break, but the substitution pattern in this game neither reflected the game or looked forward to the upcoming schedule.
mgarbowski mgarbowski eyyyyyyyy