MLS - June 19 - LA Galaxy (Away)

Sands has been bad tonight and it wasn’t just that giveaway. Too casual all game.
Super infuriating because LA seemed mostly toothless and we were in control and Sands made a play that reminds me why Rangers didn’t want him. That shouldn’t happen at this level.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Nick better do some managing at halftime and second half. Game is still there for taking if City can get their shit together

We were fine except we didn’t score a goal and did we even have a shot on target?. And then way too casual a number of times losing the ball or allowing LA to advance. Paid the price

that's a red card.

flying cleats up tackle? WTF?

- we are struggling to defend on transition. and just not taking enough advantage going forward. too slow in buildup and letting LAG get back to defend.

Why would Gray have his fucking arms around Paintsil? You're taking a chance

yea. he's been doin that a lot lately. i don't understand why you need to do that defending 1 v1. especially in the box.

even without puig for LAG, we lost the midfield battle. plain and simple. their transition attack was better than our transition defense and we didn't take our chances.

we've got about 15 mins to find some goals and get something out of this

This was a scheduled loss as far as I'm concerned. Cross-country to Los Angeles for a midweek game? Then all the way back to Nashville two days later? Ridiculous scheduling this week for our boys. Hoping we can get a point out of Nashville, but with the scheduling that one's going to be hard, too.

First goal is a brutal turnover by Sands, but we're still OK until the ball rattles off Martins right to their guy. It happens. Second goal we're pressing hard, they beat it and torch us in transition.

I'm not going to take too much out of this game. Sometimes you lose because you're flying across this massive country for a midweek game, giving you tired minds and legs. It happens. We move on.

This was a scheduled loss as far as I'm concerned. Cross-country to Los Angeles for a midweek game? Then all the way back to Nashville two days later? Ridiculous scheduling this week for our boys. Hoping we can get a point out of Nashville, but with the scheduling that one's going to be hard, too.

First goal is a brutal turnover by Sands, but we're still OK until the ball rattles off Martins right to their guy. It happens. Second goal we're pressing hard, they beat it and torch us in transition.

I'm not going to take too much out of this game. Sometimes you lose because you're flying across this massive country for a midweek game, giving you tired minds and legs. It happens. We move on.
I had this one penciled in as a loss myself for the same reasons. The good news is, we didn't get run off the pitch. The bad news is, we're still lacking real clinical ability, or at least we're not clinical enough.

But it will come. Stress test, learn, adjust, improve, meet the next test and repeat.

We're still sitting fourth with a game in hand on Red Bull and two games in hand on the Herons. We're okay. Just keep pushing.

Sands was absolute garbage all game.
I thought he was the one who was going to get rotated out, not Keaton. And I had it in my mind Tanasijevic would start for Risa, and Birk would be held in reserve in case Martins wasn't fully fit and had to come out.

But I'm just a dude with a keyboard. Nick knows what he's doing, and to be honest, I liked our XI a lot tonight. We just didn't play the way I expected us to in the first half, for whatever reason.

Another step in the journey. We certainly didn't suck tonight.

we didn't take our opportunities and punish them when we had the chances. the two goals we gave up - eh it happens.

not the worst performance but far from our best. maybe travel had something to do with it? but seemed like they've been on the west coast for a few days already so not sure if travel can be an excuse. mid-week game should not be a big deal either.

i think we lost the midfield game. sands and perea/parks did not boss it like they sometimes do. and our transition defense just isn't good enough for a team who likes to send their outside backs way up the field. we will inevitably get caught on transition when mistakes occur and that's exactly what happened. Not much you can do about it except to execute better in the attacking third and/or counterpress harder if we do give it up so our wingbacks have time to retreat.

i think this could have easily been a win. but I thought bakrar didn't really create much of a threat and the LAG CBs had it pretty easy. Wolf was also subpar by his recent standards.

Oh well. Only halfway through the season with leagues up right around the corner. What matters more is our form after leagues cup so we can build momentum into the playoffs and maybe, just maybe... add another cup to our future trophy case in queens.

That was underwhelming to wake up to.
My only sort of spoiler this morning was I saw there were 30+ new posts here and I figured that either we had to have won or at least it was an exciting or controversial game. When it was neither I was befuddled as to how it generated so much discussion; then I realized the chat was not open and it was mostly posts during the game and only 5 after lol.
Rangers destroyed Sands. OTOH he had as many shots as both Bakrar and Wolf, and more on target.
Galaxy are very strong at home. Their second goal was very well done with the pass to the late runner completely scrambling our defense, just when it almost seemed like we had successfully defended the counter.

Reactions: Shwafta
Our passing seemed off all night. There were plenty of instances when someone was open and the ball was off the mark and intercepted.
Agree. I don’t care if it was across the country, LA are good, etc. That was a poor performance all around, except for maybe Malachi (who also had a couple bad decisions) and Freese. Too casual, bad touches, bad decisions.

That’s two losses in a row now. Win in Nashville and all will be forgiven.

Our passing seemed off all night. There were plenty of instances when someone was open and the ball was off the mark and intercepted.
This was the big flaw in our game last night. We just weren't crisp. Personally, I think the rotation was the reason. We all know the training pitch is one thing, gameday is quite another, and the Galaxy (as mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out) are really tough at home to begin with. They haven't lost there all year. We needed to be a lot better to beat them on their home pitch, more coordinated, more organized, than we managed last night.

But this one didn't hurt that much. We weren't good enough to win, but we weren't horrible either, despite a couple costly mistakes. We just got beat. I'm calling this one a useful loss.

The big question is how we rebound in Nashville. That's going to tell us where we actually are on the development curve better than anything up to now. The Coyotes are diminished a little, but it's still penciled in as neutral on my sheet with big stars all around it in bright red ink. 😆