MLS - June 24 - Portland (Away)

You can now shut them off in a web browser!

Alternatively, the next best thing is to search, from the season pass home screen, "New York city" our most recent match comes up. Click it, close your eyes, and scroll to bottom for replay then open eyes and watch replay!
Screen shot or it didn’t happen .

Reactions: Kjbert
If we weren't on this long winless streak, we'd think that was an oustanding tie. Double game week, travel to Atlanta and Portland, tough place to play and get a result -- in a vacuum, that's a great tie.

Unfortunately, we don't operate in a vacuum and we need to start picking up points.

This team is awful with that final goal-side decision. We play well, we do the right things, we enter the final third and pass backwards. So frustrating to watch. Someone needs to be creative.

If we weren't on this long winless streak, we'd think that was an oustanding tie. Double game week, travel to Atlanta and Portland, tough place to play and get a result -- in a vacuum, that's a great tie.

Unfortunately, we don't operate in a vacuum and we need to start picking up points.

This team is awful with that final goal-side decision. We play well, we do the right things, we enter the final third and pass backwards. So frustrating to watch. Someone needs to be creative.
Yep - if they had won against CLB, the Revs, and one of the PHL/CIN games at home - we’d be talking about how going to Atlanta and Portland and getting two ties is a great week.

Unfortunately can’t biff points at home and just get ties on the road. Need points.

4 more games until the Leagues Cup break - one home and three road. Away at MTL and home against the CLT and then away at CLB and PHI. By the time NYCFC breaks for the leagues Cup, they will only have two more road games left in the season. What a wacky schedule.

Reactions: Kjbert
The fuck is the purpose of pellegrini other than to run around and make needless fouls in dangerous locations for no good reason other than clumsy defending.

Couldn't watch the game cause apple TV was shit stuttering away from home but caught that last foul. Can't believe he gets paid so much to do so little

The fuck is the purpose of pellegrini other than to run around and make needless fouls in dangerous locations for no good reason other than clumsy defending.

Couldn't watch the game cause apple TV was shit stuttering away from home but caught that last foul. Can't believe he gets paid so much to do so little
I’m not a big fan but IMO last night he gets about 70% of the credit for our only goal. His free kick was a dime to exactly where Keaton needed it.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
That doesn't even make sense in this context. In any event, it's odd to choose a game in which he was the player most responsible for getting a result to ask if he has a purpose. Fotmob has him ranked 4th best for the game behind Parks, Chanot and Haak. Whoscored has him third (ahead of Haak). I personally would name him or Parks MOTM.

He's generally not very useful, and takes up way too much cap. That last foul was unnecessary. But he gave us the point last night as much as anyone.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
If Pellegrini was the only problem this club wouldn’t be so desperate for a win. And as Garbo stated, his delivery is responsible for avoiding another loss. At this point calling out individual players seems pointless.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
A few more Pellegrini notes:
For defensive actions per minute on NYCFC he ranks 6th in number of tackles won, first in challenges, first in passes blocked, and negatively, first in errors leading to an opponent's shot. But even that negative is in part a function of his defensive work rate.

He does all this defensive work as a supposed forward/offensive midfielder, is paid as if he should make significant offensive contributions but does not, and while I suspect there are numerous options in the world who could make better use of his roster/cap space, given the actual roster and his presence, I fully understand why he gets his minutes.

Reactions: canchon and Vallos
I guess I get going for a more defensive posture to protect the tie, but unless it’s for fatigue, pulling out Illenic and replacing him with turnbull was a pretty bad decision. If Barraza got benched for a poor game in Atlanta, seems tough to me to give Turnbull another chance. I truly don’t think he added much and I even noticed times the Santi wouldn’t pass him the ball opting for the more difficult pass to Pellegrini than letting Turnbull potentially biff a cross into the box.

Aside from that in context two ties in a row sucks. But two ties on the road in Portland and Atlanta are good results for how this team has been playing. Credit to Haak, Chanot, and Parks for their game play yesterday. Morales had a pretty decent game as well as distributor. I have mixed feeling about pulling Gabi at half. He was providing very little in the half and I happy the Pellegrini was able to provide the assist. But with how hot he was in the last game I would have liked to have seen him on a little longer to see if he could have pulled some magic out of his hat.

He does all this defensive work as a supposed forward/offensive midfielder, is paid as if he should make significant offensive contributions but does not, and while I suspect there are numerous options in the world who could make better use of his roster/cap space, given the actual roster and his presence, I fully understand why he gets his minutes.
Someone do the scooby doo photoshop when Velma pulls off a mask of pellegrini to reveal Jesus Medina underneath it.

For defensive actions per minute on NYCFC he ranks 6th in number of tackles won, first in challenges, first in passes blocked, and negatively, first in errors leading to an opponent's shot. But even that negative is in part a function of his defensive work rate.

I said it in the game chat. Maybe he should pívot his career and switch to a #6. He has that Argentine grit. Not sure it works in our setup with Sands and Fredo established, but that role seems better suited to his actual skill set.

Pelligrini is a better version of year 3 Jesus Medina that everyone couldn't stop raving about because he suddenly decided to start tracking back in the last season of his deal.

Reactions: canchon