MLS - March 11 - Miami (Home)

The other important thing to note about it is that it changed based on how you structure your probability model. Similar to any other model (think of fivethirtyeight vs other "prediction" models), it could vastly change on a small tweak. Which is probably why we're seeing such a variance in this case.

This is also why lots of people say to look at OTHER statistics that aren't xG, because xG can give you a false sense of a game. (penalties are i think .5 automatically right?)
Most models put PKs at about 70%.
And yes the competing xG models have their own formulas, so there will be disagreements, just like there are differences between different WAR models in baseball. But usually the xG numbers are pretty close. I also believe all the models occasionally adjust their formulas to keep them in line. The idea is over very large numbers total xG should = total Goals. If that gets out of whack they need to adjust.

Similarly, one model might weigh a certain shot at 6.8% based on distance, angle, number of defenders in the box, is it a breakaway, and all of their other standard factors. If over time the data shows that 7.7% of those shots end up going in, they'll adjust the model. I just don't know how often that happens.

Reactions: Shwafta
Besides small sample size, I think the biggest confounders for xG on a game to game basis are keeper play and failing to take shots when available. Sometimes the other guy has a great game, or you can play amazing well and generate all the chances in the world but you get 0 goals and 0 xG on the shots you don't take, to quote Michael Scott quoting Wayne Gretzky.
Almost anything else is a variant of small sample size. For example, if you take 38 mostly long distance low percentage shots, the xG will add up to a decent amount, but it still won't be a surprise if none go in because 30-40 shots is still a very low sample. It's even more true in the other direction: say you get 4-5 short range chances from a few yards out that add up to about 3xG and miss them all, or make only one. It will feel awful but the truth is missing 4 out of 5 or even 5 out of 5 65% shots is not crazy unusual.

A few other random musings on Xg.

For the vast majority of players, their goals over time trend toward their Xg . In other words, there isn't a big variance between players in scoring more or less than their Xg would predict, and only a very rare and exceptional player can sustain scoring more than his Xg over time. If this is real, then it means there really isn't any such thing as expert "finishing". What distinguishes players that score a lot of goals has almost nothing to do with how well they shoot and is instead a factor of getting a lot of shots and the quality of those shots. That in turn is a factor of things like making smart runs, dribbling ability, being able to receive a pass, a good first touch, etc. But not shooting.

Most of the analytical shops will adjust a team's Xg so that no single possession can add up to more than 1.0. Think of the goal we scored that was ruled offside. It's possible that Keaton's shot and then Pellegrini's rebound goal together would have added up to more than 1.0 (assuming Pellegrini had not been offside). Of course, that doesn't make any sense, as there is no way we could have gotten more than one goal off that play.

There is a new goalkeeper stat that is based on the shot-adjusted Xg (or some such term). That's the expectation that a shot will go in based on all the things that make up Xg (position, defense, etc.) and where the shot goes - e.g. to the corner, high/low, middle, etc. The stat then looks at how many goals a keeper gives up compared to what would be expected by his Shot-Adjusted Xg. Unlike field player, there is a big difference among keepers on that stat.

We should consider an analytics thread for discussions like this. All I know is that dummyrun dummyrun would be very proud of us right now.

I forgot to add earlier that I'm glad they added a Spanish language stadium announcer on Saturday. I hope it's permanent. I think it's a good step to keep growing the fan base.
Mr Worldwide Miami GIF

I forgot to add earlier that I'm glad they added a Spanish language stadium announcer on Saturday. I hope it's permanent. I think it's a good step to keep growing the fan base.

It was pretty cool. Fet like the Olympics.