MLS - May 13 - Red Bulls (Away)

You know, there's a lot of good points being raised about various deficiencies, sure, and I don't really disagree. But look at it this way, we don't have a striker and we're still a mid-table team that's still in the mix in a league where a lot of teams make the playoffs. If we get an amazing striker in the next window and the team has a few months to gel we could be in good shape for the tournament at the end of the season. Is it great fun to watch the team lately? Not especially, to be honest. But I'm not Cushing-out, not at all. Let him get a full team and a little time before we get to that point.
Troy Lesense was missing:
OUT: Serge Ngoma (hamstring)
OUT: Luquinhas (adductor)
OUT: Lewis Morgan (hip)
OUT: Matt Nocita (hamstring)
OUT: Steven Sserwadda (knee)
OUT: Frankie Amaya (ankle)
OUT: Kyle Duncan (knee)
OUT: Dante Vanzeir (suspension)
If we get a number 9 and they get injured then are we back to using that as an excuse?
There appears to be something not right with this squad and it remains to be seen if a good number 9 is the magic bullet. What happens if you lose Wed. in Orlando and Sat. at home to “ooooooo ooooo, Philadelphia.”
Hall And Oates GIF by John Oates

Reactions: FootyLovin
What happens if you lose Wed. in Orlando and Sat. at home
Well that's my point, *nothing* happens. It's boring, but for now mid-table is fine. At this point all we have to do is finish 9th or better out of 15. Looked at another way, we're only three points away from 5th. This is MLS, where the season doesn't mean all that much. If we get a striker and win four in a row in July or August, we're back near the top.

So yes, we've lost a few in a row and that stinks. All I'm saying is that if you won't nominate Cushing for coach of the year if we win four in a row in late summer then you also shouldn't necessarily be Cushing-out when we lose four in a row now without benefit of a striker.

Well that's my point, *nothing* happens. It's boring, but for now mid-table is fine. At this point all we have to do is finish 9th or better out of 15. Looked at another way, we're only three points away from 5th. This is MLS, where the season doesn't mean all that much. If we get a striker and win four in a row in July or August, we're back near the top.

So yes, we've lost a few in a row and that stinks. All I'm saying is that if you won't nominate Cushing for coach of the year if we win four in a row in late summer then you also shouldn't necessarily be Cushing-out when we lose four in a row now without benefit of a striker.

do you really think a striker is all we need? I will concede that a good striker will definitely help and maybe he will give us a spark in our attack that can change things, but i'm not sure a striker fixes everything. We don't create. It's not like we are creating lots of chances and just missing an out and out striker to put the goals away. Our attack is stagnant and that's a problem that isn't easily fixed with the addition of a striker.

Regular season still matters in that you have more home games in the playoffs. Our goal is to still win MLS cup and chances of us doing that almost entirely on the road again are pretty slim to none, especially with this type of away form. We want those home games to increase our chances.

I surely hope the summer turns things around. We did not play terribly against the red bulls but we did attack poorly. In the end, one mistake/lucky bounce went against us and that's the game. I'm not cushing out. Our squad needs more players. But, I think his man management could improve. Yea, I don't know what/how he's really doing, but from my perspective, it just doesn't seem like the players are playing with their heads on fire. They are playing hard, yes. But that was probably the weakest derby I've ever seen played in terms of physicality and grit.

Reactions: canchon
do you really think a striker is all we need? I will concede that a good striker will definitely help and maybe he will give us a spark in our attack that can change things, but i'm not sure a striker fixes everything. We don't create. It's not like we are creating lots of chances and just missing an out and out striker to put the goals away. Our attack is stagnant and that's a problem that isn't easily fixed with the addition of a striker.

Regular season still matters in that you have more home games in the playoffs. Our goal is to still win MLS cup and chances of us doing that almost entirely on the road again are pretty slim to none, especially with this type of away form. We want those home games to increase our chances.

I surely hope the summer turns things around. We did not play terribly against the red bulls but we did attack poorly. In the end, one mistake/lucky bounce went against us and that's the game. I'm not cushing out. Our squad needs more players. But, I think his man management could improve. Yea, I don't know what/how he's really doing, but from my perspective, it just doesn't seem like the players are playing with their heads on fire. They are playing hard, yes. But that was probably the weakest derby I've ever seen played in terms of physicality and grit.
I’m also not with the “this doesn’t matter, we’ll just win a bunch of games later on and get in the playoffs and then win” crowd. NYCFC winning its Cup while mainly playing on the road is not a formula to be repeated (I believe home teams were something like 11-2 in the playoffs last year). More home games = greater chance of MLS Cup. And that means winning more games and moving up the table during the season.

In addition, the fact that this team has not just been bad on the road, but in multiple games basically created nothing (Houston, Toronto, NJRB) and the one game they did create (Charlotte) they gave up 3 goals. You don’t have to be great on the road, but you have to get some results - and to do that you can’t play for a 0-0 tie, you must create chances.

Remember how NYCFC couldn’t get it done in Toronto? The Revs did it.
can’t win in RBA? Philly did.
Tough to travel cross country like for Houston? Once again Philly just won in Colorado.
Nashville is impossible to get a result. Not for Cincinnati.
And on and on.

If NYCFC wants to be in favorable playoff position they must get some results on the road.
In addition - after the Orlando game they play 3 games in a week at home: Philly, Cincy, Revs. They pretty much need 7-9 points since NYCFC is putting goose egg after goose egg on the board this past month. Yikes.

A striker will help, but I think our biggest deficiency is that our DP No. 10 isn't even close to as good as he should be. Maxi Moralez unlocked our offense, and in past year when he didn't play, we didn't score. There are so many runs being made by forwards right now that aren't being fed by the midfield. Ledezma isn't being creative, Santi isn't being creative, and Parks isn't being creative.

There was a moment in the second half, Talles made a small diagonal run towards the top of the box that no one tracked. He was wide open for long enough that someone should have seen it. Taty used to score on that run all the time, and Talles scored on it last year. Maxi always found that run and made the ball. No one saw it this time, and someone passed backwards. That's the difference.

So yes, a striker will help -- but the thing keeping us from scoring right now is the lack of creativity in midfield. We need our No. 10 to start acting like a No. 10, or our offense will never get off the ground.

A striker will help, but I think our biggest deficiency is that our DP No. 10 isn't even close to as good as he should be. Maxi Moralez unlocked our offense, and in past year when he didn't play, we didn't score. There are so many runs being made by forwards right now that aren't being fed by the midfield. Ledezma isn't being creative, Santi isn't being creative, and Parks isn't being creative.

There was a moment in the second half, Talles made a small diagonal run towards the top of the box that no one tracked. He was wide open for long enough that someone should have seen it. Taty used to score on that run all the time, and Talles scored on it last year. Maxi always found that run and made the ball. No one saw it this time, and someone passed backwards. That's the difference.

So yes, a striker will help -- but the thing keeping us from scoring right now is the lack of creativity in midfield. We need our No. 10 to start acting like a No. 10, or our offense will never get off the ground.

our #10 isn't even playing a #10. we have double floating false 9s who run to the wings to get the ball cause both want to be on the ball. the system isn't working. we need santi to play the #10 and ledesma can be his backup.

our #10 isn't even playing a #10. we have double floating false 9s who run to the wings to get the ball cause both want to be on the ball. the system isn't working. we need santi to play the #10 and ledesma can be his backup.
Count me among those who think there is more problem here than lack of a #9. Plenty of teams play with false 9s effectively. We aren't getting it done.

Plus if we are hanging our hopes on a big #9 signing changing everything, I'm skeptical. (1) AHABS, a single player can get injured. (2) All the training for months will have been around how to play with a false 9. Then suddenly the team is going to perfectly, instantly transition to a traditional 9? This worries me.

Reactions: moogoo
From 2020 through 2022 the club 3-year blended PPG was 1.59. Maxi missed 31 games in those 3 years and the club PPG in those games was 1.62. Last year NYCFC was 5-0-0 in games Maxi missed (2H 3A). NYCFC can play without Maxi. NYCFC cannot play without Maxi, Taty, Heber and Thiago without replacing any of them. To the extent Santi is replacing Maxi, they need a replacement for what Santi did as a supplement to Maxi.

Last edited:
Count me among those who think there is more problem here than lack of a #9. Plenty of teams play with false 9s effectively. We aren't getting it done.

Plus if we are hanging our hopes on a big #9 signing changing everything, I'm skeptical. (1) AHABS, a single player can get injured. (2) All the training for months will have been around how to play with a false 9. Then suddenly the team is going to perfectly, instantly transition to a traditional 9? This worries me.
Not to mention that mid-season signings very often tend to have lackluster first seasons in MLS.

Reactions: FootyLovin
FwNwqtzXgAIoPrv

Thanks to Kevin Nelson for the chart above - some analysis that corresponds to the "feel" of watching Gray at right back. Again, it may have been a choice based on Tolkin at left back for Jersey, but this diagram shows a right-side attack in the mud.

The team has solid centerbacks in Chanot and Martins (who may be the most improved player this year). Trust them with more pressure. Play Ilenic. Open up Gaby. Win?

FwNwqtzXgAIoPrv

Thanks to Kevin Nelson for the chart above - some analysis that corresponds to the "feel" of watching Gray at right back. Again, it may have been a choice based on Tolkin at left back for Jersey, but this diagram shows a right-side attack in the mud.

The team has solid centerbacks in Chanot and Martins (who may be the most improved player this year). Trust them with more pressure. Play Ilenic. Open up Gaby. Win?

what this graph also shows is our stagnant attack. the thin lines, lighter blue lines between our attackers (and none to gabby on an island). Ledezma isn't creating anything. Santi and Magno are trying to do something but they just aren't. Gabby, prob our most talented attacker with any real consistency, is on an island. it's no wonder we can't score and win.

For what it's worth, Cushing explains how he's trying to work around the lack of a striker here:

Barraza echoes a lot of what Nick was getting at in his interview on the site, too. Basically, we have a lot of young guys in our attack who haven't quite figured it out yet.

Hopefully the frustration doesn't morph into discouragement. If we can avoid that, at some point we just may click even before the summer window arrives. If that happens, and then we add a bona fide striker too, look out. We could suddenly get very, very good late in the season.

For what it's worth, Cushing explains how he's trying to work around the lack of a striker here:

Barraza echoes a lot of what Nick was getting at in his interview on the site, too. Basically, we have a lot of young guys in our attack who haven't quite figured it out yet.

Hopefully the frustration doesn't morph into discouragement. If we can avoid that, at some point we just may click even before the summer window arrives. If that happens, and then we add a bona fide striker too, look out. We could suddenly get very, very good late in the season.
6 of their last 8 games are at home and the two on the road are against Miami and DCU. Wishful thinking.

From 2020 through 2022 the club 3-year blended PPG was 1.59. Maxi missed 31 games in those 3 years and the club PPG in those games was 1.62. Last year NYCFC was 5-0-0 in games Maxi missed (2H 3A). NYCFC can play without Maxi. NYCFC cannot play without Maxi, Taty, Heber and Thiago without replacing any of them. To the extent Santi is replacing Maxi, they need a replacement for what Santi did as a supplement to Maxi.
I do think it is reasonable to have expectation that Santi, Gabby and Magno, all young players, would progress. So they would in some way replace some of that lost productivity without adding new players. Unfortunately they all look like they are regressing. I am not sold on the idea that 100% of that is due to there being no #9. Maybe they can't replace all that was lost, but I'd expect them to be doing better than they have so far.

I don't see the explanation you are describing. He says they need better decision making. That doesn't tell me anything. I get that this is a powder piece and not meant to give us any real insight. But it still sounds weak. The question isn't do they need better decisions, it's how does Nick coach them to better decisions? I just don't see any progress over the past several weeks other than one anomalous good match at home.

Reactions: moogoo
I do think it is reasonable to have expectation that Santi, Gabby and Magno, all young players, would progress. So they would in some way replace some of that lost productivity without adding new players. Unfortunately they all look like they are regressing. I am not sold on the idea that 100% of that is due to there being no #9. Maybe they can't replace all that was lost, but I'd expect them to be doing better than they have so far.
I do think they expected more progression, and that it was fair to do so. But you still need replacements.

We lost 5 of the team's top 8 scorers from last year, plus one goal from Gloster, for a total of 34 goals or 61% of the team goals. The remainder of the team -- the guys who returned -- scored 22 goals. And we need to replace 34.

We added Ledezma, Ilenic, Cufre and Sands whose career highs are 4, 3, 3, and 0. If they all score their career high minus one (frankly this is highly optimistic), that is 7 goals. Pellegrini didn't really play last year, so we'll treat him the same. His career high is 3 so add 2 for 9 goals from newcomers. Segal's career high at Stanford was 6. I'm cutting college production in half and say he scores 3. That's 12 goals replaced out of 34 with new players, optimistically.

You still need to make up 22 goals from the guys who returned, which is to say you need the entirety of the returning team collectively to double its goal production. That's ambitious.

I do think they expected more progression, and that it was fair to do so. But you still need replacements.

We lost 5 of the team's top 8 scorers from last year, plus one goal from Gloster, for a total of 34 goals or 61% of the team goals. The remainder of the team -- the guys who returned -- scored 22 goals. And we need to replace 34.

We added Ledezma, Ilenic, Cufre and Sands whose career highs are 4, 3, 3, and 0. If they all score their career high minus one (frankly this is highly optimistic), that is 7 goals. Pellegrini didn't really play last year, so we'll treat him the same. His career high is 3 so add 2 for 9 goals from newcomers. Segal's career high at Stanford was 6. I'm cutting college production in half and say he scores 3. That's 12 goals replaced out of 34 with new players, optimistically.

You still need to make up 22 goals from the guys who returned, which is to say you need the entirety of the returning team collectively to double its goal production. That's ambitious.

i think front office just kinda got caught with their pants down on replacing players. with last minute contract stuff that didn't go our way with johnson and callens, then scrambling to get santi back, it was difficult to go get additional players when we didn't know what kind of money we were working with.

by the time we did know, it was probably too late for any real prospects. i also don't think the club was expecting to loan off thiago andrade. I really feel like that was a gut reaction from cushing. otherwise, why would we send him off when we are in need of attacking threats right now?

overall i agree, we need replacement and we didn't get them for a number of reasons, most of which we just don't know and can only speculate. let's hope the summer transfer window is busy cause we need more depth as well as a solid #9, who we can only hope and pray is a hit.

Reactions: mgarbowski