MLS - May 18 - D.C. (Away)

20 assists. Only three players in league history to do so.

Carlos Valderrama (TB - 2000) 26 assists (32 games)
Sacha Kljestan (RB - 2016) 20 assists (32 games)
Maxi Moralez (NYC - 2019) 20 assists (29 games)
Thanks for correction. Whatever site I looked at first of course had to be a ring.

Keaton and Alfredo were really good tonight. The latter really snuffed out some DCU attacks and kept the ball moving for us while we were in possession.

We struggle on the road, so I LOVE ROAD WINS!

Reactions: Revfugee and Kenny
Always gotta be happy with an away win, especially when we dominated. They had some solid chances, but it just felt like we were in total control all along.

we were also very lucky. they had 3-4 very good chances which hit the post or got very close. had they been more clinical, we would have been in trouble.

otherwise, solid game. good away win. morales had a great match. parks too. thiago put in a great shift and his defensive work rate saved our asses a couple times.

i would have liked more from taty. he has times when he just goes into super casual, nonchalant mode and it really irks me. he's got so much talent and drive, I just can't understand why? is he good? yes. but he's behaving like neybar in ligue 1 and it doesn't shine a positive light on him. if he cuts that and the unnecessary yellows out of his game, he'd be that much better.

Always gotta be happy with an away win, especially when we dominated. They had some solid chances, but it just felt like we were in total control all along.
It really did. They broke through a couple times and we got a little lucky with them hitting the post. But it never felt like we were really being challenged.

That back line of Chanot, Martins and Callens was intriguing. I thought they really, really played well.

Reactions: Kenny
the south american stare is back. + parks.....and whatever morales is doing.

FTFC7_ZWYAEWx0x

we were also very lucky. they had 3-4 very good chances which hit the post or got very close. had they been more clinical, we would have been in trouble.
I thought that as well during the game but going over it pierce by piece, not so much.

We were pretty lucky on the first post. The second was a deflection off Martins that I think Johnson was positioned to save before the deflection. It was almost like we had bad luck then good luck on the same shot and it balanced out. On the Fountas chance towards the end I thought Sean did a good job by coming out and forcing him to hit a small open slice of goal on the far post. It was actually a pretty tough chance - Opta scored it only a 10.5% probability and overall DC had just 0.5 xG. I think the post shots made it seem like DC were better than they actually were at creating chances. Getting a clean sheet when you concede 0.5 xG is not super lucky.
Sean also had 1 very nice save I remember and I vaguely think maybe another. I thought he was very good tonight.

Random fact and serious question:
  • The VAR PK call wiped out a shot in the stats for Parks. He gets credit for his 2 long distance attempts but not the header. It is as if it never happened.
  • What happens if he had made that and then VAR sees the handball? Does the ref "play advantage" after the fact and ignore the handball? Would Keaton's goal get erased? Would we get both? I'm guessing we get Keaton's goal and the ref ignores, whether officially or unofficially, the handball, even though it was clear and obvious. But I wonder.

Random fact and serious question:
  • The VAR PK call wiped out a shot in the stats for Parks. He gets credit for his 2 long distance attempts but not the header. It is as if it never happened.
  • What happens if he had made that and then VAR sees the handball? Does the ref "play advantage" after the fact and ignore the handball? Would Keaton's goal get erased? Would we get both? I'm guessing we get Keaton's goal and the ref ignores, whether officially or unofficially, the handball, even though it was clear and obvious. But I wonder.

If Keaton scored, the goal would stand. The potential handball would be cancelled out by the actual goal. we would not get the goal AND a PK. Penso wouldn't even motion that there was a VAR review and no one would even ask about it.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
If Keaton scored, the goal would stand. The potential handball would be cancelled out by the actual goal. we would not get the goal AND a PK.
I think you're right. If the ref saw the handball in real time the correct course would be for him to play advantage as long as we were bouncing the ball in front of net. Then if we don't score he should blow the whistle and call the handball when DC got possession. No reason it should be different on VAR. But it just seems weird that Keaton's header "never happened." Happens all the time in other sports but it seems weird to me here.

Reactions: moogoo
We’re playing some pretty football right now. Really enjoying watching the games. Our front 4 look very threatening and are having fun on the ball. Definitely got that South American flair going for us. Most importantly we’re actually getting the ball to them. Seeing a lot of line breaking passes from Parks and playing through the press as well. Certainly playing up to our billing as returning champs.