MLS - May 18 - D.C. (Away)

I'm firmly in the "silverware is nice but first priority is your league" camp. I understand the other view, of course. But personally, I like where we are much better than where the Sounders are.

That's probably more true in other leagues where the best team throughout the season is the champ. But here in MLS, you can come in 7th in your conference and still be champion.

No one really cares about SS.

That's probably more true in other leagues where the best team throughout the season is the champ. But here in MLS, you can come in 7th in your conference and still be champion.

No one really cares about SS.
Still gotta make those playoffs, man. I hate the idea of burning out a squad in a tournament -- which may or may not actually mean anything -- and then missing the playoffs by a point.

I understand wanting a trophy though, especially in the more prestigious tourneys. And if you don't have a realistic chance of winning your league you definitely want to grab whatever you can. I'm sure the party is still going on in Frankfurt.

So I get it, it's more a matter of preference.

But if I have my choice between winning the CONCACAF Champions League or another MLS Cup, I take the Cup every day and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZYanksRule
Still gotta make those playoffs, man. I hate the idea of burning out a squad in a tournament -- which may or may not actually mean anything -- and then missing the playoffs by a point.

I understand wanting a trophy though, especially in the more prestigious tourneys. And if you don't have a realistic chance of winning your league you definitely want to grab whatever you can. I'm sure the party is still going on in Frankfurt.

So I get it, it's more a matter of preference.

But if I have my choice between winning the CONCACAF Champions League or another MLS Cup, I take the Cup every day and twice on Sundays.

CCL is done 1/3 of the way into the season... sooner in a normal season since 2022 started early due to the world cup. It's also why seattle and NYCFC built squad depth. We should be able to manage decent league performance AND succeed in CCL.

there's no reason not to go for CCL with everything. had we not spent all that time on the road, i don't think we would have dropped so many league points.

similar situation now with game congestion with USOC... except it's less travel since it's regionalized. you don't want to win USOC?

I want to win everything.

That isn't the choice.

A. Win CCL and tank first 40% of season. 2 points out of playoff race with 2 games in hand.
B. Lose CCL and recover sooner. 3 points out of SS with 1 game in hand.

Both with 60% of the season remaining and loads of time for all kinds of scenarios to play out.

I'll take Option A thank you very much. (And so would probably 95% of this forum if given the choice in April.)

Praise for SJ makes tons of sense in our current run of form. But reviewing his performance last night is not complete without recognition of him getting veeeeery lucky getting caught on the ball and not giving up a goal. That exchange doesn't show up in the xG, but boy was it close.

I think you're right. If the ref saw the handball in real time the correct course would be for him to play advantage as long as we were bouncing the ball in front of net. Then if we don't score he should blow the whistle and call the handball when DC got possession. No reason it should be different on VAR. But it just seems weird that Keaton's header "never happened." Happens all the time in other sports but it seems weird to me here.

What was funny about that play is that everyone on the pitch seemed to miss the handball. Usually when there is anything close to a handball in the box, the offensive team are all raising their hands and shouting at the ref. There was none of that from us, save one guy who maybe raised his hand a little.

What was funny about that play is that everyone on the pitch seemed to miss the handball. Usually when there is anything close to a handball in the box, the offensive team are all raising their hands and shouting at the ref. There was none of that from us, save one guy who maybe raised his hand a little.
And even funnier, NYCFC had six corner kicks last night and had six shots off of corner kicks last night.

*Technically*, the only corner kick to not have a shot was that one at the end of the first half, which ultimately resulted in a penalty kick. And on top of that as mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out, the corner itself actually did have a shot that came from the corner kick action that would have counted as a shot had the penalty not been given.

Last two games:
13 corner kicks taken
11 shots from corner kicks
1 goal
0.59 xG
1 shot off crossbar
1 shot saved off line by defender
1 penalty kick drawn

And even funnier, NYCFC had six corner kicks last night and had six shots off of corner kicks last night.

*Technically*, the only corner kick to not have a shot was that one at the end of the first half, which ultimately resulted in a penalty kick. And on top of that as mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out, the corner itself actually did have a shot that came from the corner kick action that would have counted as a shot had the penalty not been given.

Last two games:
13 corner kicks taken
11 shots from corner kicks
1 goal
0.59 xG
1 shot off crossbar
1 shot saved off line by defender
1 penalty kick drawn
Give Rob a raise!

Reactions: SoupInNYC

There was a NYCFC player, Taty? that went running to the ref right away. Might have been a factor in getting it reviewed.

View attachment 12069

0 goals in 4 games, just saying
SOOTHE YOUR GOAL
giphy.gif

I recorded the YES Network replay that started around 6 or 7 tis morning, and had time to check the Callens goal and celebration. The very annoying commercial inserted into the live stream by YES during the goal celebration that even dropped the game and commentary sound is not there.
I don't know if it was always meant to be stream-only, or if it was a mistake that it ever happened, or if they very quickly responded to the criticism. Though I would not bet on that last possibility.

It was Callens who ran to the ref and aggressively signaled for handball. Talles did raise his arm but when the whistle blew he seemed pretty indifferent. Overall I agree that the response was pretty low key and most players probably didn't see it.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and joe
It was Callens who ran to the ref and aggressively signaled for handball. Talles did raise his arm but when the whistle blew he seemed pretty indifferent. Overall I agree that the response was pretty low key and most players probably didn't see it.
When I was watching it live, I didn't have any audio and didn't see anything to give me any reason to think handball (both what I saw and players' reactions).

When the ref went to video review, I wondered if perhaps Keaton had actually scored but they had initially waved him offsides and the angle from the camera for some reason played a trick on my mind that I thought the shot went wide. (and again, no audio so I really wasn't sure what had happened, was called, clarification on review, etc.)

Reactions: mgarbowski
CCL is done 1/3 of the way into the season... sooner in a normal season since 2022 started early due to the world cup. It's also why seattle and NYCFC built squad depth. We should be able to manage decent league performance AND succeed in CCL.

there's no reason not to go for CCL with everything. had we not spent all that time on the road, i don't think we would have dropped so many league points.

similar situation now with game congestion with USOC... except it's less travel since it's regionalized. you don't want to win USOC?

I want to win everything.
Me too. But the truth is we did spend all that time on the road and did drop league points.

As it turns out, we'll be fine. But what if we weren't? Seattle certainly is having a very hard time in the league. Is it worth it? If you value the CCL trophy more than an MLS Cup, your answer is "yes." If you believe the first priority of a team is to win its own league, it's no.

Of course, if you can do both by all means do them. But that isn't the condition of my statement.

That isn't the choice.
Well, no. It is the choice. I said "if." You can look back on it now and say it could have worked out, and as it is worked out alright.

But what if I told you at the start of the CCL tournament we could win it but it would mean we wouldn't win the MLS Cup? That's the question.

Last edited:
Well, no. It is the choice. I said "if." You can look back on it now and say it could have worked out, and as it is worked out alright.

But what if I told you at the start of the CCL tournament we could win it but it would mean we wouldn't win the MLS Cup? That's the question.

the thing is, you pretty much gave this team ZERO chance of making the playoffs if they win CCL. that's just unreasonable. could it happen? sure. but the chances of it happening are slim to none. This team has been built to be deep enough to handle schedule congestion and compete in CCL.

bottom of the east right now has 11 points. 7th place has 15. a mere 4 points means a playoff spot right now. let's say we lost every league game while we were in CCL. we'd be in seattle's position with 10 games played. you mean to tell me you don't think we could grab a playoff spot with 24 games to go in the season?

you said you do want to win everything, but it sounds like you think this team is simply incapable of doing so. Yes, CCL teams in the past have ended up bottom of the table. But so have prior year's MLS champs. This squad was built to compete in all competitions and have a damn good chance at winning most. yes we did travel a lot and we did drop points. but look where we are in the table. we are pretty much top of the league and looking like contenders for SS and MLS Cup.

For me, I want to win the last game of the season. The last game of the season, for me, is the biggest trophy you can win. I want the Supporters' Shield too, but I'll always take MLS Cup above everything else. Even above CCL, though that's partly because CCL is so poorly run and I find it hard to take seriously.

Reactions: JCMore
Looks like the Senator sat with his staff rather than his constituents (away supporters)
I can't fault him for this. It's been awhile since I've seen news of any Proud Boys et al in the SS. But it's recent enough and hot button enough that it's a bit of a risk for a politician to get photo opped with one. Stupid world we live in.

Of course, absent that, Schumer still probably sits in the comfortable confines with his staff rather than amidst the drums. Then again, who of significance have we ever seen in the SS? I count Mama Harrison. Anyone else?