MLS - May 18 - D.C. (Away)

I can't fault him for this. It's been awhile since I've seen news of any Proud Boys et al in the SS. But it's recent enough and hot button enough that it's a bit of a risk for a politician to get photo opped with one. Stupid world we live in.

Of course, absent that, Schumer still probably sits in the comfortable confines with his staff rather than amidst the drums. Then again, who of significance have we ever seen in the SS? I count Mama Harrison. Anyone else?
Blue man

I can't fault him for this. It's been awhile since I've seen news of any Proud Boys et al in the SS. But it's recent enough and hot button enough that it's a bit of a risk for a politician to get photo opped with one. Stupid world we live in.

Of course, absent that, Schumer still probably sits in the comfortable confines with his staff rather than amidst the drums. Then again, who of significance have we ever seen in the SS? I count Mama Harrison. Anyone else?

was he with the supporters in that pic?. i recognize none of the people that went ( from other pics i seen ) there are some DC fans there, it may have been a group outing with his staff there. I think supporters were elsewhere.

the thing is, you pretty much gave this team ZERO chance of making the playoffs if they win CCL. that's just unreasonable. could it happen? sure. but the chances of it happening are slim to none. This team has been built to be deep enough to handle schedule congestion and compete in CCL.

bottom of the east right now has 11 points. 7th place has 15. a mere 4 points means a playoff spot right now. let's say we lost every league game while we were in CCL. we'd be in seattle's position with 10 games played. you mean to tell me you don't think we could grab a playoff spot with 24 games to go in the season?

you said you do want to win everything, but it sounds like you think this team is simply incapable of doing so. Yes, CCL teams in the past have ended up bottom of the table. But so have prior year's MLS champs. This squad was built to compete in all competitions and have a damn good chance at winning most. yes we did travel a lot and we did drop points. but look where we are in the table. we are pretty much top of the league and looking like contenders for SS and MLS Cup.
Nope, missed it again. I said no such thing. It's a conditional statement, strictly looking at it from a philosophical perspective: I think the first priority of a team should be to win its league, not to win silverware. If you can do both, great. If you can't, I believe you should choose winning the league over winning tournaments (with the possible exception of something like the Champions League, where the financial implications really come into play).

IF.

So, if I'm Ronny Deila in January and I look at the schedule and I can map out a way to go for the CCL and still be in good shape to win the MLS Cup, by all means I do it. But if I have a doubt and think winning the CCL would jeopardize winning the MLS Cup, I make adjustments to how I handle the tournament accordingly.

IF.

I understand the other perspective, of course. Some people highly value tournament silverware. I just have the opposite view.

Nope, missed it again. I said no such thing. It's a conditional statement, strictly looking at it from a philosophical perspective: I think the first priority of a team should be to win its league, not to win silverware. If you can do both, great. If you can't, I believe you should choose winning the league over winning tournaments (with the possible exception of something like the Champions League, where the financial implications really come into play).

IF.

So, if I'm Ronny Deila in January and I look at the schedule and I can map out a way to go for the CCL and still be in good shape to win the MLS Cup, by all means I do it. But if I have a doubt and think winning the CCL would jeopardize winning the MLS Cup, I make adjustments to how I handle the tournament accordingly.

IF.

I understand the other perspective, of course. Some people highly value tournament silverware. I just have the opposite view.

lol.

i don't think anybody misunderstands your conditional statement. I personally think your conditions are based on unreasonable speculation and assumptions given: (1) the roster we have (2) the limited duration of CCL (3) and MLS cup can still be won by finishing 7th in the table.

• Haha
Reactions: KevinJRogers
And that, as well all know, is why everyone agrees the Supporters Shield is far more important.

<runs LOL>

giphy.gif

lol.

i don't think anybody misunderstands your conditional statement. I personally think your conditions are based on unreasonable speculation and assumptions given: (1) the roster we have (2) the limited duration of CCL (3) and MLS cup can still be won by finishing 7th in the table.
Reasonable enough statement, except for one slight problem: I didn't speculate or make any assumptions. I set a condition.