MLS - September 16 - Red Bulls (Home)

When I saw the ref assignments I was like “who?” and in passing saw Drew Fischer on VAR and thought “hope we don’t get screwed on VAR reviews.”

Yup.

That's one of the worst games I've ever attended. Just a brutally boring afternoon of soccer. 0-0 games can be exciting, this was not one of them. We look so listless offensively. Absolutely no idea what to do when we get even close to the final 3rd. What do we have now, 2 wins in our last 20 games? Hard to truly comprehend what's happened this year. Think it's pretty clear now that our season is ending on October 21. I'd be surprised if Cushing is still the coach on October 23.

Freese was the reason this was not the usual 1-0 loss to RBNJ. The one thing we learned is that Freese should start every remaining game to learn if he is the 2024 starter.
He played great , I am just saying that it’s a poor reflection on the rest of the team

Reactions: canchon
Innwish Nick the best of luck in his next endeavor. He seems like a good guy and a great assistant. It’s time for him to move onto something else.

This team has one major weakness - scoring. Yet, he started (again) a defensive wing in Pellegrini and played the ENTIRE second half with Sands, Perea, and Morales - three defensive midfielders.

Can anyone explain why?

This team needs wins, not draws, for any chance at the playoffs. That was a team set out to play for 1-0 or 0-0. It makes no sense in the context of the season or in light of the current standings.

Further, in the micro rather than macro, the team made an effort today to play over the Jersey press when opportunities presented themselves. Good! And yet, he left two taller forwards in Fernandez and Magno, who might control long balls better, on the bench for half (or basically) all the game. He also didn’t move Santi or Ledezma into midfield to try and provide other options for long balls. Risa was our primary playmaker today. I appreciate his talent, but seriously?

The players all showed hustle today. Gray was more aggressive than usual - great! Nick, however, sent a truck out to win a drag race.

Nick's predictable post game message in a nutshell..

We're in a difficult moment ( no nick.. been a difficult season)
Guys fought hard and crowd was great (ok)
We just needed a moment. Oh and pat me on the back I put magno in. (For 5mins)

The one positive I see out of this game is that we finally deviated from the usual play from the back because the Red Bulls have feasted on that over the years. We actually tried to go long repeatedly.

The problem is that we are horrendous at trying to do Route 1 football, and our final passes are consistently off the mark. We are either just a bit off with a pass or a sloppy touch is made by the attacker.

Overall, a dull game between two shit teams. The crowd tried to do what they could, but this is a bad squad.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Beyond the standard complaining of “screwed by the ref/VAR” can anyone explain to me the technical reason why the Santi action in the box wasn’t a PK and didn’t even merit a VAR review?

Beyond the standard complaining of “screwed by the ref/VAR” can anyone explain to me the technical reason why the Santi action in the box wasn’t a PK and didn’t even merit a VAR review?
Because the Red Bulls always get penalties against us. We never get penalties against them.

Anyone know when we last had scored a penalty against them?

The one positive I see out of this game is that we finally deviated from the usual play from the back because the Red Bulls have feasted on that over the years. We actually tried to go long repeatedly.

The problem is that we are horrendous at trying to do Route 1 football, and our final passes are consistently off the mark. We are either just a bit off with a pass or a sloppy touch is made by the attacker.

Overall, a dull game between two shit teams. The crowd tried to do what they could, but this is a bad squad.
Caught this on Twitter -- very interesting approach. [Edit: It may have worked; Colorado beat the Revs 2-1 last night.]

best reason I can think of why they did not go back to it as a penalty is that he got the ball away AND morales was able to gather it and get a shot off.

if the ball had simply petered away and RB cleared it, i think VAR would have recommended a review or maybe even dickerson would have called it on the field. But the fact that the ball made its way to the intended target and subsequent play/"advantage" was taken, they did not call it or think it was a mistake not to call it.

IMO it should have been called. i don't think dickerson signaled for advantage, so it's unlikely he even thought it was a foul in the first place. Unfortunately, the most technical reason is VAR and PRO be dumb yo.

best reason I can think of why they did not go back to it as a penalty is that he got the ball away AND morales was able to gather it and get a shot off.

if the ball had simply petered away and RB cleared it, i think VAR would have recommended a review or maybe even dickerson would have called it on the field. But the fact that the ball made its way to the intended target and subsequent play/"advantage" was taken, they did not call it or think it was a mistake not to call it.

IMO it should have been called. i don't think dickerson signaled for advantage, so it's unlikely he even thought it was a foul in the first place. Unfortunately, the most technical reason is VAR and PRO be dumb yo.
The video screen at the game said there was a VAR review and it was no penalty. I’d love to hear the audio from that one.

The video screen at the game said there was a VAR review and it was no penalty. I’d love to hear the audio from that one.

there are always reviews in these situations as it meets one of the enumerated scenarios (e.g., potential PK). but not recommending an on field review is just VAR/PRO is what i was trying to explain.

That's interesting. Anyone know if playing advantage is actually a thing when it comes to PKs? I always thought the PK call was independent of advantage. Meaning, the ref can let play go a few seconds to allow a goal. But if there is no goal, then a PK is a PK and should be called.

Anyone know the actual rules on this?

Reactions: SoupInNYC