Mls - Structure

MrE

Registered
Jun 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

I think this might be viewed as controversial but it isn't meant to be any more than debate stimulus. So please answer constructively, there is no attack.

The MLS is a closed shop, no relegation, so in effect it is an elite super league (IMO with what is going on in Europe, FFP, etc I don't like the elitist concept but if it works for you hey ..). This must have some sort of affect on other football in the states, as the best clubs that are not in this elite have nowhere to go.

How does the football structure work in the US. (Forget school college, I mean adults)
Are the best NASL teams on par with the MLS.
Do you ever envisage promotion / relegation
Are there cups, similar to the FA cup which are open to MLS & non MLS teams

There is a lot involved in some of this question
for instance your states are as big as European countries so logistics, I imagine come into it
Maybe Town leagues, county leagues, state leagues, Regional (state) leagues, National league ?

Are there teams that should be in the MLS (in your opions that are not.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I think this might be viewed as controversial but it isn't meant to be any more than debate stimulus. So please answer constructively, there is no attack.

The MLS is a closed shop, no relegation, so in effect it is an elite super league (IMO with what is going on in Europe, FFP, etc I don't like the elitist concept but if it works for you hey ..). This must have some sort of affect on other football in the states, as the best clubs that are not in this elite have nowhere to go.

How does the football structure work in the US. (Forget school college, I mean adults)

for instance your states are as big as European countries so logistics, I imagine come into it
Maybe Town leagues, county leagues, state leagues, Regional (state) leagues, National league ?

Thanks in advance.

The U.S. Open Cup is the comparison to the FA Cup.

Here's how the structure works in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_soccer_league_system

The different in talent is significant from MLS to 2nd division NASL, but USL Pro to NASL is very similar, although NASL did just go 6-2 in the last round of the US Open Cup against USL Pro teams and US PDL teams.

Promotion/Relegation would be nice but wouldn't work in the US. I think it should be done in the lower divisions. It would work there. Average attendance, running costs, etc... are fairly similar.

MLS is too big and strong for that. It works in England and other countries because every time and city has stadiums whether or not they're 2nd division 3rd division. In the US, NASL teams will play on college campuses, USL Pros maybe the same, but there's a lot of tiny places that they play. If they ever moved up to MLS? Lots of changes would be needed.

That's why the rest of the country is pissed about NYCFC by the way. All of the expansions lately have been by "promotion" until now. They were NASL or USL Pro franchises (Seattle/Portland/Montreal) like Orlando City next year who built up supporters. Built a club, worked their way up and "deserved" MLS. That's why there's a lot of talk about Sacramento deserving an expansion slot or Chivas USA's slot. They are packing 20,000 fans in to see a USL Pro team. That's huge news in the US.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to worry about controversy. You have a complete misrepresentation of what we are here. I was the person who was "hating MCFC" the most. Does it sound like I'm looking for fights? It was 3 guys who love the club that caused the issues. You're awesome. I love your questions. A lot of us are new too. Shameless plug... you should listen to the podcast. You'll see where a lot of folks are coming from.