Mls To Increase Tam And Homegrown Spending

Yes but that also means we cant make a run for Omar and the Galaxy can keep Omar Gonzelas and Gyasi Zardes

Yes I understand that. It also further confirms that LAG runs the league office.

Edit: the only surprising thing here to me is the amount. I thought it would be another $500,000 per club, not $800,000 per club per year.

Yes I understand that. It also further confirms that LAG runs the league office.

Edit: the only surprising thing here to me is the amount. I thought it would be another $500,000 per club, not $800,000 per club per year.
Yeah it was 500k spread over 5 years now its 800k PER YEAR!!!! that is huge

I am legit excited again. Brovo MLS... I was getting a little stagnant with our finish and nothing going on. With the news of no Grabavoy, Brovsky and Kwame.... and now THIS!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYY I am giddy.
awesome.gif

How is TAM different from GAM (General Allocation Money)? I like that we have more money to spend but is it the right money we want to spend? Just give us 6 more DP spots Garber. You want tv rating and ad revenue, we'll give it to you.

How is TAM different from GAM (General Allocation Money)? I like that we have more money to spend but is it the right money we want to spend? Just give us 6 more DP spots Garber. You want tv rating and ad revenue, we'll give it to you.
It has to be used to bring a player who otherwise would be a DP in below the dp salary. GAM can be used on anyone and spread out to several players.

Reactions: Kjbert
It has to be used to bring a player who otherwise would be a DP in below the dp salary. GAM can be used on anyone and spread out to several players.

Can you only use TAM on one player? Or can you bring down two players below the DP threshold?

A few things to note.
  • This works differently than the original TAM in many ways.
  • It is $800K per year; it's not spread over 5 years.
  • It can be used on more than one player.
  • It must be used on a player making more than the league maximum ($457.5K) and up to $1 million (or $1.5 million for mid-year signings).
  • A team can buy a player down to below $457.5K, but not below a minimum ($125K, I believe).
  • A team cannot use both TAM and GAM (General Allocation Money) on the same player.
  • A team can either use the money on a new player or use it on an existing DP to free up a DP spot at the time the new DP is signed.
  • It is targeted at improving the quality of "players 4-7" on the roster - meaning it is not meant to be used across the whole roster; that is what GAM is for.
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-increases-investment-players

City probably pushed for this so they could send over some more EDS players.

This is perfect, and in effect, I think this is better roster wise than a simple cap increase. There are so many good players, foreign and domestic, in the 500k-1m range that would fit incredibly well in MLS but are passed up because teams might as well buy a $5m player and get the ticket sales an publicity if it counts the same as a $1m player. Now, we can acquire more players who may not sell tickets and jerseys and draw international attention, but drastically improve the quality of play on the field!
This is also much better than adding an extra DP slot, TAM can allow 2, 3 or possibly even 4 quality players to be acquired to improve the roster. It's going to take a bunch of expertise to find the right players in that range, something CFG certainly does not specialize in. Hopefully Reyna and company are able to put the right pieces in place to improve this roster.

So if I am interpreting this correctly, we will still use GAM to buy Mix's contract down. According to the link provided, TAM can only be used to sign a new player, buy down a current DP and at the same time sign a new DP, or resign a current player.

I guess we could resign Mix and use TAM on him, but if would have to be a new contract.

Can we spend it on multiple players or just one?

You can spend it on multiple players. Theoretically, you could have 8 new guys making $550k a year and pay them down to $450k a year.

But they still need to fit under the cap with the cap hit. So the cap hit still hurts us. Which is why I assume most teams would only use it on one or two players. Maybe a team like FC Dallas, RBNY or SKC who are very good with balancing rosters could do otherwise.

If the max salary for TAM non-DP is $1mil, these numbers will need to be spread over two players, si? So if we use 300K TAM on Mix, we can sign another player for 950k, use the rest of the 500k TAM on him, and then use the rest of the GAM on a player like Poku, right? That still means getting rid of two players in the 200k range in order to sign one for 450k (after being bought down by TAM). I think this is probably better for some of the teams that spend less than for some of the bigger spending teams. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess that's how they intend to get Texeira.
I wish. I think he will cost more than $1 million.

Still great news. Kinda stinks for middle class players but these new plans will help us get better starters.

Lost in this is addition $125k cap space for a HGP. So we can sign Reyna's kid for $125k now and he would not hit the cap.

If the max salary for TAM non-DP is $1mil, these numbers will need to be spread over two players, si? So if we use 300K TAM on Mix, we can sign another player for 950k, use the rest of the 500k TAM on him, and then use the rest of the GAM on a player like Poku, right? That still means getting rid of two players in the 200k range in order to sign one for 450k (after being bought down by TAM). I think this is probably better for some of the teams that spend less than for some of the bigger spending teams. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
We already got rid of those players, so we would be getting 2 different million doller players at $420k. We also have enough GAM for Mix & Poku.

Or sell Mix for someones 2 years of TAM(it is trade-able) and an international spot for 2 seasons.

Reactions: Kjbert