All time “homegrown” team

adam

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 30, 2014
LBNY
Taty movin on has me thinking of what could have been if we were the ultimate destination. I think the rules on this can be argued by whomever posts, so feel free to include or not include who you want and explain. But this exercise is to pretend we are a top team in a top league in the world and wouldn’t sell off our players. What young players we help mold could form a starting XI for us? I’ll go first.

————————-—Taty———————-——-
Medina—————-Gio————————Jack
——————Yangel—-Sands———————
Scally———Haak——Nico———Angelino
————————-Stuver——————-

We really haven‘t done well in developing CBs, I could have thrown Shay Facey in there I guess, but 1. He sucks, 2. We didn‘t really have much of hand in his development. Same probably could be said for Angelino. Gio never played a game for us, or earned us a transfer fee. But he did grow up in the NYCFC system. This is an imperfect science. But I think you get the point. Who would you put in there and why? Who am I forgeting?

we've only had 11 homegrown players in our existence, many of which are u21 players.

Sands and Scally are the most successful (although I say Jack counts as homegrown)

Reactions: Higgs1
we've only had 11 homegrown players in our existence, many of which are u21 players.

Sands and Scally are the most successful (although I say Jack counts as homegrown)

that’s why I was very loose with my “homegrown“ definition. This isn’t for MLS cap purposes. So I was able to include players like Taty (who gave me the idea) or Medina (& Jack who you mentioned too) that we had a hand in developing from a young age.

I like this exercise. Your Starting XI goes beyond the strict definition of Homegrown, but that's fine. We can include players who came to us when young and that we helped develop.

I would go ahead and put Talles Magno on left wing instead of Medina. He's already better, and that's his natural position in any event. Yes, Gio at the 10, and we will have a good backup with Santi.

Does Parks count? Maybe put him at CM and move Sands back to CB?

I agree with your fullbacks, but they need to switch sides.

Reactions: adam
The below lists will be useful for this.

NYCFC First Team or Academy Players with Appearances in Top 5 European Leagues
  1. Angelino
  2. Herrera
  3. Harrison
  4. Shelton
  5. Mendoza
  6. Reyna
  7. Scally
  8. Castellanos
Additional Players with Appearances for Europa & Champions League Teams
  1. Diskerud
  2. Berget
  3. Sands
  4. Mackay-Steven

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
I like this exercise. Your Starting XI goes beyond the strict definition of Homegrown, but that's fine. We can include players who came to us when young and that we helped develop.

I would go ahead and put Talles Magno on left wing instead of Medina. He's already better, and that's his natural position in any event. Yes, Gio at the 10, and we will have a good backup with Santi.

Does Parks count? Maybe put him at CM and move Sands back to CB?

I agree with your fullbacks, but they need to switch sides.

Keaton cut his teeth in Portugal and got first team minutes there before us, but there’s no hard rules in this exercise and he came to us young. He also helps us build a nice lineup, so why not!

I don't think I would include guys like Angelino as he was only here for half a season.

giphy.gif

Taty movin on has me thinking of what could have been if we were the ultimate destination. I think the rules on this can be argued by whomever posts, so feel free to include or not include who you want and explain. But this exercise is to pretend we are a top team in a top league in the world and wouldn’t sell off our players. What young players we help mold could form a starting XI for us? I’ll go first.

————————-—Taty———————-——-
Medina—————-Gio————————Jack
——————Yangel—-Sands———————
Scally———Haak——Nico———Angelino
————————-Stuver——————-

We really haven‘t done well in developing CBs, I could have thrown Shay Facey in there I guess, but 1. He sucks, 2. We didn‘t really have much of hand in his development. Same probably could be said for Angelino. Gio never played a game for us, or earned us a transfer fee. But he did grow up in the NYCFC system. This is an imperfect science. But I think you get the point. Who would you put in there and why? Who am I forgeting?
I would sub out Haak Nico and Angelino. Put Parks in at MF and slide Sands to CB. RB Tayvon instead of Angelino (nobody thought he was a better player when he left than when he came so he wasnt developed here). I would add Seb Ibeagha as a center back. He came from USL and became a top level backup for us and is for LAFC. Definitely developed by NYCFC.

And Talles Magno for Medina. He is a baller and getting better and better,

Reactions: adam