Mls Will Air Two Games A Week On Sky Sports In The Uk

This immediately made me think about the TV deal and how much it is worth. How can they keep saying they are losing money? Garber must think the players and fans are dumb.

I think NYCFC and LAG will be mainstays on Sky.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
This immediately made me think about the TV deal and how much it is worth. How can they keep saying they are losing money? Garber must think the players and fans are dumb.

I think NYCFC and LAG will be mainstays on Sky.
Can you take a guess as to the expenses the league has outside of player salaries?
Do you know how much the clubs/league have spent on stadiums thus far?
Do you know how much a lawyer costs?
Do you have any idea how many lawyers the league has on staff?
Do you know that lawyers are involved in contracts with players as well sponsors and tv?
Are you aware of the leagues insurance costs?
Are all game-day stadium staff working for free? Including the $60/hr. police officers they pay.
Do you know that, on average, each club loses money on it's local broadcast deals?
Did you know that average ticket prices are relatively low? Also the league average is likely inflated, as it in in all leagues.
Did you that MLSsoccer.com, and it content, does not just magically appear online for free?
Did you know that league was straight up throwing money away in the early years? Those losses, debt and interest, did not magically go away.

It's good to know that you have an inside look at the league financials and are able to let us know that they are just rolling in the dough!

A league is that is expanding like crazy with $100m franchise fees and making $90m/year from US TV rights does not sound like a league going broke. Players make less than 30% of the league earnings as compared to other US leagues (between 45-50%). Salary cap is $3.1m, excluding DPs. Add money from Canadian and now UK TV rights. Add ticket sales, merchandise and the reduced number of leases due to SSSs built partially by public money and tax breaks. Plus other sources of income, like league and jersey sponsors.

Not saying MLS teams are rolling in dough, but they are far from broke. If they were losing $100m yearly, they are being irresponsible by adding more teams instead of contracting them. Since owners, like Mansour, continue to invest MLS I think it is safe to say that MLS finances are healthy. And since no owners is trying to selling I think it is also safe to say that they see it as a wise financial investment going into the future.

Sure some owners might still be trying to recoup money invested in the past, but do you really think they don't plan to be repaid in full? The Chicago Fire came into the league for $5m... how are they worth now? (FYI $102m) Take away the drain of Chivas USA and this league is in great shape.

Check out this article - http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/11/20/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams/
Look at the team values and revenues generated... and this is prior to the new TV deal. The actual team value is even higher once you factor in SSS and developmental teams (u18, USL, etc). So no, I don't need to see the league's finances to see what is going on.

Can you take a guess as to the expenses the league has outside of player salaries?
Do you know how much the clubs/league have spent on stadiums thus far?
Do you know how much a lawyer costs?
Do you have any idea how many lawyers the league has on staff?
Do you know that lawyers are involved in contracts with players as well sponsors and tv?
Are you aware of the leagues insurance costs?
Are all game-day stadium staff working for free? Including the $60/hr. police officers they pay.
Do you know that, on average, each club loses money on it's local broadcast deals?
Did you know that average ticket prices are relatively low? Also the league average is likely inflated, as it in in all leagues.
Did you that MLSsoccer.com, and it content, does not just magically appear online for free?
Did you know that league was straight up throwing money away in the early years? Those losses, debt and interest, did not magically go away.

It's good to know that you have an inside look at the league financials and are able to let us know that they are just rolling in the dough!
Don't forget the league just added reserve sides and have greatly expanded their youth development efforts...

I'm sure they're not going bankrupt but I'm also pretty certain they're doing as much as they can safely. Don't forget most European clubs have put themselves very deep in debt.

Some more details

The agreement follows the announcement of the new deal to show even more live Premier League matches and further strengthens Sky’s position as the home of sport.

The four-year MLS deal begins in March, bringing an even wider range of coverage to Sky Sports viewers. With former England captain Steven Gerrard announcing he will sign for LA Galaxy in July, and Frank Lampard set to join New York City this summer, Sky Sports will be the only place to follow the fortunes of two Premier League legends in the US........

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-wins-rights-to-broadcast-major-league-soccer

Reactions: franchise646
Well that certainly adds another good option for legal UK streams if you're willing to use NOW Tv from time to time. The other legal option of course (for games not on sky) could be via gambling websites such as William Hill. It didn't look like BT did a great job scheduling last season (if I recall right) but Sky are the best not that the domestic competition is up to much. Unfortunately I don't include Al Jazeera with Keys and Gray simply because of the random online stream quality though they are by far superior to anyone else.

I'm sure in the medium to long term they will be touting the league for a lot more than just Lampard and Gerrard being involved. A much better platform than BT.

Unfortunately, gentlemen, that's about the extent to which MLS is known in the UK at the moment. Even established sports broadcasters don't know one team from another.

Also, merged with existing Sky Sports thread.

eh - who cares? They're paying MLS money and more people are watching. This is how you build a league.

30 years ago the NBA was a waste land. The public thought every player was a cokehead. Then David Stern came along and globalized the sport slowly and Michael Jordan became the greatest athlete of all time.

Start slow. Spread the MLS gospel. Now it's time for MLS teams to perform and keep folks tuned in. People will stay up late to watch Lampard and Gerrard over there. This is a good thing.

I assume this has something to do with the ridiculous decision to block mlssoccer.com video highlights to GB viewers. Found out this morning after clicking on highlights for the season opener. I was going to keep up more with highlights this season (if not so much live MLS games NYCFC aside) and this certainly hasn't made it more convenient. I guess youtube and streams will have to suffice now unless I get full Sky Sports package anytime soon. Assuming of course that Sky Sports probably have the common sense to provide a highlights show .