#MLSisBack - July 14 - Orlando (Postgame)

Ring has never quite reached the next level, he was a solid destroyer, but inconsistent as total midfielder. If he now regresses instead of progresses, that's another problem in our growing list.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I can’t believe I’m reading this kind of Alex Ring sentiment.
I also agree.
Maybe I’m glad they hid the match. If we can’t count on Ring, we are in serious trouble. Ronny is calling up some serious Fernando Clavijo flashbacks for me.

here's my 2 cents...

Ronnie has no plan. He doesn't seem to have a grasp on anyone's strengths of weaknesses. What reason could possibly have to start Gudi in the central midfield alongside Medina and Ring? His tactics are a mystery and he's somehow taken a team that knew exactly what to do and turned them into a team of amateurs.

No one played well. NO ONE.

Johnson looked like he was playing rec league and enjoying himself.

Ring probably played like his usual self but looked extra bad because he couldn't possibly cover the gaps left by Gudi and Medina. He's never been particularly good with his feet or passing, but he's always been great at his role of aggressor. He couldn't fulfill that role tonight cause he was asked to do too much. Seriously, other than the ONE shot, did Gudi have any memorable touches or tackles?

Our back line was in shambles. 3 CBs and not a single one knew what they were doing or organized the defense in any way. This is when I would expect Chanot or Ring to step up and start screaming at people to get organized. We can hear everything from the field, but I sure didn't hear any screaming. Sands was a complete mess. Callens looked slow. Chanot was lost. It was a defensive collapse of the highest degree.

Mata continues to be a huge liability on the left side with not enough offensive upside. I don't get why he still plays as much as he does. Giving his man 30 yards of space to pick out a cross is not defending here, in costa rica, or in under 8 youth teams.

Taty needs to stop diving. Otherwise, I can't really knock him too bad.

Heber is rusty and out of shape. Please train harder.

and now for my biggest complaint... SET PIECES. Did we just forget all the set pieces from last year? we had 8 corners or something and for every, single, one, we just stood around in the box and waited for service. HOPEFULLY that service made it past the near post defender (WHY does it ever not???) but since we were all standing around, we were easy to defend. There was zero movement, zero hunger. Just.. "hopefully the ball gets to me and I can jump higher than this guy with his hands all over me". These guys are supposed to be professionals and they're playing with soccer IQ worse than rec league teams.

What's worse is that this team is more than capable of playing beautiful soccer and turning teams inside out. These are the same guys.. the only difference is the coach. I know this season is difficult to judge based on everything, but damn.. he's just not cut out for this. I will always support this team but damn.. it hurts.

Ring is a destroyer. Needs to play right above the CB. Mata is garbage. Does more bad then good. Needs to go. Medina is better up the middle but not starting quality. We might have the worst DPs in the league.
Coach has no idea how to use his talented players.

Reactions: adam
No one played well. NO ONE.
This is the only conclusion I can reach. I don’t know how other people are drawing definitive conclusions about who’s this or that based on this match. I think it’s fair to discuss the reasons for it but if you watched this team for the first time tonight, you’d think we needed a roster overhaul like 2015

You guys are criticising the team and the players as if the tournament were meaningful. It is not. The players don’t want to be there, they don’t want to play in that shit tournament. It also looks like the NYCFC players don’t want to play for Deila. That’s more serious than an odd stinker in a Mickey Mouse tournament.

You guys are criticising the team and the players as if the tournament were meaningful. It is not. The players don’t want to be there, they don’t want to play in that shit tournament. It also looks like the NYCFC players don’t want to play for Deila. That’s more serious than an odd stinker in a Mickey Mouse tournament.

so Philadelphia and Orlando do want to be there then? If that is the case then just stay home and forfeit.

Mitrita did look good - and tried to use Heber. Isi, though, hard disagree. He looked to push horizontally and shoot every time. Once Orlando realized he would never pass they just followed him across the box.

Sands may have a bright future but he was terrible tonight. Every cross field pass sailed into the seats, and he looked aimless on the second goal.

Medina with a goal. Medina with a whiff on a sitter. Seems appropriate.

It is true that the team had 5 points after 6 games last year and righted the ship. However, that was with a coach in his second year and with a full season schedule. If the season does actually continue after this tournament - and I am skeptical - it could be a short season with fewer games and more teams in the East. There isn't the same margin of error.

Have to beat Miami. If not, play Haak and Gray for experience and Mata and Medina to get offers (any offers).

(p.s. Intern, please find a few DP 10's to replace Maxi and Medina.)
I wouldn't call the volley in second half a sitter. It was a laser beam behind him at a very awkward height. If that's the one you were talking about. I got kicked out at 70'

Reactions: ZYanksRule
I think there are some green shoots.

Dome wasn't ever able to get this out of Medina but I'm liking what I've seen of him at the 10. Decent awareness of getting into space, some very incisive passing and a sweet left foot. Maybe the kid changed. Maybe if he had the true wingers he craved, he could have played Maxi and Medina in dual 8/10s more often. But Ronny is getting some value there.

Also, I thought the switch to 4 ATB made a lot of sense.

3 ATB against one striker rarely makes sense. In the build up, you have 3 CBs which means one less option in midfield to play vertically. It also allows their wingers to push on to CBs which makes it harder to play out. And then when the other team is attacking it leaves your CBs 3 v 3. Which means your wingers have to come back to help, which then forces them to choose between covering for their CB or picking up the incoming fullback from the other team. Ruan kept making those scything runs past Mata and Nani kept finding him.

So the fact that we switched, I'll give Ronny points for.

Cause for concern:

Why play 3 ATB in the first place? General Bielsa Rule of Thumb is you play one more player on the backline than the other team has on their forward line. Deviating from that rule generally doesn't work out well.

In both systems we just don't look drilled. When Dome had us playing the way he wanted the ball would move forward, get laid off, then go forward again. Lots of Z's and triangles. Under Ronny we often look "flat". E.g. Héber receiving the ball with back to goal and being in a horizontal lines with Medina and Taty.

So it doesn't feel like the team is learning the positional games that they need to master in order to make any given system work. This is a big part of how Pep and Dome work according to Martí Perarnau. Come up with some systems based on analysis, then figure out which situations need to be drilled and then work on them until the movements are automatic.

Dome took over a team that knew how to play in one system but didn't understand more general principles of style. Ronny is taking over a team that eventually understood those principles but seems to have forgotten, which tells me that those principles are no longer being embodied through particular training regimen. Which concerns me.

Guys we started this match with 6 defenders. I can’t say I’ve ever seen that before. 3 Cb’s and 3 Fb’s. The initial subs were fine but they only put us back into the shape we should have started with 4-4-2. Then we waited till the 85th minute to sub on GMS. He’s had virtually zero impact for this club and he barely broke a sweat for 15 minutes. I think he had 1 or 2 touches. He shouldn’t be here, especially for $275k.
Also, Ring is crap. I can’t pretend to like the guy.
It
Ring is a destroyer. Needs to play right above the CB. Mata is garbage. Does more bad then good. Needs to go. Medina is better up the middle but not starting quality. We might have the worst DPs in the league.
Coach has no idea how to use his talented players.
i don’t have enough knowledge about other teams DP’s. Does anyone have a “worst than NYCFC DP’s” nomination?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
It looks, to my untrained eye, like an assortment of players that was put together like a fantasy team with no thought to a system or how the players would play together. Maybe that's a function of a lame-duck Reyna half-assing it, or a Coach hired at the last minute who didn't get to shop for the groceries or maybe both of those combined with a mediocre/bad coach.

If I were lucky enough to find a Heber, I would build a team designed to get him the ball in dangerous positions. That doesn't seem to ever happen. Also, if I were lucky enough to have Maxi, I would remind myself that there is nothing worse than seeing a player go from being a step quicker than defenders to a step slower, so I would have made sure to get someone to be his understudy. That person does not seem to exist.

Just management malpractice. With all the talent out there, how the F did we get stuck with Deila. Honestly?

Reactions: Schwallacus
It looks, to my untrained eye, like an assortment of players that was put together like a fantasy team with no thought to a system or how the players would play together. Maybe that's a function of a lame-duck Reyna half-assing it, or a Coach hired at the last minute who didn't get to shop for the groceries or maybe both of those combined with a mediocre/bad coach.

If I were lucky enough to find a Heber, I would build a team designed to get him the ball in dangerous positions. That doesn't seem to ever happen. Also, if I were lucky enough to have Maxi, I would remind myself that there is nothing worse than seeing a player go from being a step quicker than defenders to a step slower, so I would have made sure to get someone to be his understudy. That person does not seem to exist.

Just management malpractice. With all the talent out there, how the F did we get stuck with Deila. Honestly?
Did Reyna bring in GMS and the Icelandic singer?

Here is how you wreck a club:
Sign two bad DP’s.
Resign an aging DP with no replacement ready.
Overpay for a Scottish guitar player followed by a vocalist from Iceland.
Also give extensions to over rated Scandinavian defenders.

• Haha
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Did Reyna bring in GMS and the Icelandic singer?

Here is how you wreck a club:
Sign two bad DP’s.
Resign an aging DP with no replacement ready.
Overpay for a Scottish guitar player followed by a vocalist from Iceland.
Also give extensions to over rated Scandinavian defenders.

Reyna definitely was in charge when GMS was signed. Whether or not he was doing his job of if he was already a lame duck, I do not know. That was my point. We know when he resigned, but who knows when he started as the Austin GM in his head.

Icelandic singer was brought in shortly after he left.

You forgot one bullet point: Sign more wingers than you can play because you think you'll need to rotate more than most teams because you have no stadium and are likely to have awful fixture congestion.

Mata continues to be a huge liability on the left side with not enough offensive upside. I don't get why he still plays as much as he does. Giving his man 30 yards of space to pick out a cross is not defending here, in costa rica, or in under 8 youth teams.

Taty needs to stop diving. Otherwise, I can't really knock him too bad.

these were a couple of things that stood out to me too. Nani getting the freedom of Mata's area of the pitch so often was remarkable. He's gonna want to play Mata every week.

and yes, stupid Taty needs to wise the f up and stop flopping around like he got shot any time someone's hand happens to come near his face. It's an absolute embarrassment and makes the club look terrible if we can't coach it out of him, or just make him stop doing it.

Something else that struck me was just how far apart everyone was - like I get the passing out of the back when you have a fluid system and midfielders that drop deep, either looking for the ball or to be available for the full backs to use in a passage of play, but last night everyone was S O S P R E A D O U T.

how can you play nice little tiki taka passes if your three center halves are all being tightly marked and passing the ball to each other with no one else even close??

overall it was a giant steaming pile of shite.