• Mena

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Iraola

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other?

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What happens when you take out the games where we had Allen at LB and / or a CB playing at wide right (Hernandez or White)?

From memory + whatever I could cobble together from nycfc.com and whoscored.com in the time I was guiltily stealing from "more productive activities":
  • 49% vs. Philly - we had regular fullbacks but switched to a 5-3-2 and gave up midfield in the 64th minute to protect our lead. Would be interested to see what possession was like before we decided to park the bus.
  • 49% vs. Seattle - we had regular fullbacks but switched to 5 in the back again in the 77th minute.
  • 44% vs. Red Bulls - first time we saw the "inverted backline" with RJ at LB and Hernandez at RB.
  • 56% vs. New England - oh hai, we have regular fullbacks again.
  • 33% vs. Sporting KC - Vieira asks RJ to put on 2 left boots again and Hernandez is Hernandez at RB.
  • 54% vs. Montreal - wait, is that real? Anyway, we play narrow in D again (this time with White).
So that gives us an average of 51.3% with "regular fullbacks" and 43.7% with "inverted / non-fullbacks". It's a small dataset but lines up with my observations / intuition that we are making way too many simple technical errors trying to play out of the back, which kills any attempt to control the game through possession.

As a side note – what are your favorite sources for stats? ^That was painful.

WhoScored and FourFourTwo both use Opta for their stats and are the two best IMHO:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/

Reactions: Christopher Jee
DisCo already rescinded Afful's red card. Will they do something to Drogba this week?

49% vs. Philly - we had regular fullbacks but switched to a 5-3-2 and gave up midfield in the 64th minute to protect our lead. Would be interested to see what possession was like before we decided to park the bus.
http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2016-06-18-new-york-city-fc-vs-philadelphia-union/stats

If you look at the five minute possession intervals down the page on the right, it pretty much confirms that we were way ahead until we switched the strategy.

Thanks for pulling together the data. I really hate the RJ at LB and Hernandez/White at RB approach.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
DisCo already rescinded Afful's red card. Will they do something to Drogba this week?

Will be interesting to see. He certainly deserves a suspension - the committee even takes into account whether the player was injured, and Iraola was. Plus Simon Borg weighs in and sees red as well. Still, I doubt it happens. If Lloyd Sam didn't get one, how could Drogba?

One thing that I can't quite grasp is why our players were being so respectful to Drogba after those plays. I know he is a guy who gets great respect generally, and Lampard is his former teammate, but somebody should have been in his face threatening to break his leg if he does it again.

Go to 5:49 below.

Reactions: Paul
hey yo back from montreal ( damn you weather, forcing to cancel my flight)

seeing that harrison goal live and in person was awesome....during warm ups i saw him trying those curling shots and actually got a a couple of good ones past johanssen....i remember telling a friend....he looks on fire today hope he gets one....and he did.

montreal is a nice city the weather is great in the summer ( no humidity) this was totally worth the trip....nice places for drinks all around too. nice city for sightseeing ( only saw downtown area though and old port that was it, dont know the rest of city).

as of negatives.....ethan white should not be RB ever again...gosh it was sooo frustrating with him there. Mena did what he is good at....1 vs 1...a good number of times he saved us. i need to see when this new defender can do to help. RJ felt a bit off but i do think its because the LB is not really his thing

iraola i hope dude is not injured...he is not key in that DM ish role. and he a couple of good interceptions.

just FYI unused subs and those that i guess came in late as subs were running around a good 10 mins after the game ended....first time i see them do that

the stadium is nice....but kinda weirdly placed like in middle of a park and there is not real route to it....you kinda gotta go thru like hills and stuff still nice stadium with olympic stadium in background.

Montreal was great, especially the restaurants. The #1 thing that surprised me was they don't use electronic scanners for the tickets at the stadium. Someone looked at my paper ticket purchased off of stubhub and let me into the stadium. Apparently Canadians are too honest to print and use the same ticket more than once at the same match?

Montreal was great, especially the restaurants. The #1 thing that surprised me was they don't use electronic scanners for the tickets at the stadium. Someone looked at my paper ticket purchased off of stubhub and let me into the stadium. Apparently Canadians are too honest to print and use the same ticket more than once at the same match?

Seriously? Do they scan any of the tickets?

Reactions: Kjbert
hey yo back from montreal ( damn you weather, forcing to cancel my flight)

Should've flown back on Monday morning, then you could've run into the entire team at the airport like I did :)

Seriously? Do they scan any of the tickets?

Nope. Just "Bonjour", a glance, and "enjoy the game".

Last edited:
It was a very painful wait until 5 pm today for the condensed game

• I loved the condensed games on MLS Live. I have watched every MLS game this year using it but a couple things I wish could be changed. They need to show the substitutions and Drogba's first foul was not shown in the condensed game.

• I thought the Impact could have had three red cards that were not called. Both of Drogba's fouls were reds. What I didn't like is on the second red with Drogba pawing at Iraola on the ground, no one got in his face to back him up. If someone has their hands on a teammate on the ground, someone has to come in and get him to back up.

• Right side of the defense is really hurting us when we play out of the back. I don't really know anything about Chanot other than he is not White or Hernandez, but I hope that he is training and available for the Red Bulls. I would even consider starting him at RB.

• It looked like RJ was playing banged up. He's obviously better on the right side than left side but he has looked much better playing the left side than he did on Sunday. Right now depth at fullback looks like our weakness. If RJ goes down, we could be in trouble with all the injuries we have had.

• The scoring opportunity that we had in the 80th minute that Lopez fucked up was a glorious piece of soccer. I think that Lopez has value especially to inject energy and press the backline/midfield to save Villa's legs, but I don't want to see him in the game when we have a lead. He's had a couple great opportunities this that he has floundered this season.

• Josh had a nice save on the Drogba free kick but that was a really soft goal that he let in again. Almost same spot as the terrible goal he let in against SKC. Any ball that from long distance that is weak enough to hit the turf and bounce in needs to be saved 100% of the time.

It was a very painful wait until 5 pm today for the condensed game
  • The scoring opportunity that we had in the 80th minute that Lopez fucked up was a glorious piece of soccer. I think that Lopez has value especially to inject energy and press the backline/midfield to save Villa's legs, but I don't want to see him in the game when we have a lead. He's had a couple great opportunities this that he has floundered this season.

• Josh had a nice save on the Drogba free kick but that was a really soft goal that he let in again. Almost same spot as the terrible goal he let in against SKC. Any ball that from long distance that is weak enough to hit the turf and bounce in needs to be saved 100% of the time.
Very good points.

On that Lopez opportunity, I believe he had Villa next to him for a potential outlet option if I remember correctly. If so, 100 times out of 100 Lopez needs to be making that extra pass.

On the goal that was let up, yes I think it was somewhat of a "soft goal", but I'm not certain Saunders really could have done much about it. I honestly chalk that one up to a dangerous ball played into an awkward spot. It bounced over Brillant's foot and he couldn't clear it when Saunders thought he could, and then Drogba was crashing down. As much as I dislike Saunders, I'm not sold he was "at fault" on that goal.

Should've flown back on Monday morning, then you could've run into the entire team at the airport like I did :)

what airline was it? i was thinking of doing it to avoid the storms but they were all booked.

Very good points.

On that Lopez opportunity, I believe he had Villa next to him for a potential outlet option if I remember correctly. If so, 100 times out of 100 Lopez needs to be making that extra pass.

On the goal that was let up, yes I think it was somewhat of a "soft goal", but I'm not certain Saunders really could have done much about it. I honestly chalk that one up to a dangerous ball played into an awkward spot. It bounced over Brillant's foot and he couldn't clear it when Saunders thought he could, and then Drogba was crashing down. As much as I dislike Saunders, I'm not sold he was "at fault" on that goal.
I agree with this about the goal as it wasn't so much Saunders fault as it was just an unfortunate combination of things that happened. And to my mind most of the things that happened are called Drogba. Even if Saunders had been able to get his hands on it after the bounce Drogba was right there to take care of things. Just don't think there was much that could be done in this instance.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Watching the Behind the Scenes this morning
  • Right after the game was over, you could see an assistant talking to Lopez

• Lampard's positioning is amazing. Not the storybook goal, but he puts himself into position to score time and time again. The timing of when to make a run and where to make a run is just world class. This week, Morris (multiple times) and Larin failed to score not because of their physical gifts and scoring talent, but because they did not make the proper run. T-Mac does the same thing albeit on a lesser level, but still great for MLS.

There are so many gems in this Behind the Scenes. I love the last shot of Drogba wearing a Yankees hat.

Reactions: Kjbert
Belatedly, this was a fun game to attend. Good bit of banter between the NYCFC and Montreal supporters. There was at least one scarf exchange after the match. Then ran into Brillant having a drink and a bite to eat later that evening. He was more than happy to chat with us for a minute and take a photo.

Spent the week here, with a couple days in old Quebec. Very pleasant in the summer. Headed back today in time for the derby tomorrow. See you there

I really wish I was able to make the trip to hang out this year. Hopefully next, there's 2 games in Montreal.