New York Cosmos surive & move to Coney Island

Seems what i suspected after no immediate news back in November will come to pass: status quo indeed. And a cosmos rebooting in fall....nothing will change and only NASL top guys will move on

Fwiw, a heartbeat means little after catastrophic cardiac arrest....

Hard to imagine anybody wanting to incur the debt they're holding, even if the endgame is buying out RB...

Seems what i suspected after no immediate news back in November will come to pass: status quo indeed. And a cosmos rebooting in fall....nothing will change and only NASL top guys will move on

I have no further evidence of this than what I've read in this thread and a couple of other websites, but my gut instinct over all of this is that NASL's potential demise became very obvious very early, and USSF were just about poised to make a decision on promoting USL to tier 2 and relegating NASL when it became pretty obvious that to do so would be to administer the coup de grace on the wounded animal. Given the choice of steeling their nerve, pulling the trigger and looking the monster or staying their hand and being the angel of mercy, they chose the option which would save the most jobs and prevent teams from going down the can, deeming that to be more important than choosing the option which guaranteed the best future for the sport in general.

By all means I invite people to contradict me if they know better. I'm not claiming to know anything in particular, and if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be shown the evidence which proves it. However, this is how it looks from where I'm sitting.

I have no further evidence of this than what I've read in this thread and a couple of other websites, but my gut instinct over all of this is that NASL's potential demise became very obvious very early, and USSF were just about poised to make a decision on promoting USL to tier 2 and relegating NASL when it became pretty obvious that to do so would be to administer the coup de grace on the wounded animal. Given the choice of steeling their nerve, pulling the trigger and looking the monster or staying their hand and being the angel of mercy, they chose the option which would save the most jobs and prevent teams from going down the can, deeming that to be more important than choosing the option which guaranteed the best future for the sport in general.

By all means I invite people to contradict me if they know better. I'm not claiming to know anything in particular, and if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be shown the evidence which proves it. However, this is how it looks from where I'm sitting.
I think what you write holds a lot of merit, and to add to it, USSF would have to make a lot of exceptions to grant the USL divII status due to stadium size (MLS B-sides among others). That would also give the NASL an opening to sue under the premise of, if you gave them D2 and not us when both need exceptions granted... Yada yada yada.... not sure that in the end USSF wanted the likely litigation that would come with it.

Interesting question: are there any examples elsewhere in the world of a lower division being better than the one above it?

I can't imagine that is the case anywhere, and I can't imagine it won't be the case in the US next year.

Yet another American first. You're welcome, world. You bunch of dickheads.

Also a big reason why the NASL is still around is that the next club to leave for USL has to pay them like $2 million so the 3-4 clubs that want to bail have to wait for one another to make a move.
Yeah, but if the NASL drops to 7 teams the exit fees decrease dramatically. It's all outlined well in the article I linked several posts back.

USSF is in lose lose situation.....if you kill it then everyone hates you for taking away jobs/ killing teams.....if you leave it as is then people hate you for not taking action and letting poorly run teams to keep running and failing to pay their players.

from other boards and twitter it seems USSF seems to always be hands off unless it absolutely has to ( like in 2010 when it did the whole USSF Division 2)

also it seems that it will be new people at the head of NASL....its been said Peter Wilt may take charge of it or his name being thrown around for commisioner....he doesn't seem so hellent on going to war with MLS for division 1 status....he still thinks pro/rel "Can work" but i dont know his plan ( i think he was supposed to publish an article on Howler but not sure if its out), so maybe with this new person on top it will be more careful when selecting owners for teams ( avoiding more RAYOOKC) and may establish USL as a working second division.

Cosmos NOT dead and bought.....and NASL will continue on with 8 teams for 2017......as a DIV II.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46774
They haven't been bought yet - all contingent on D2 status decided tomorrow.

This saga has turned into a total Shit-show. I get it that USSF doesn't want to kill teams/leagues, but have some balls and stick to the guidelines without giving away ridiculous waivers. The USL is a much stronger league structure than the NASL by virtue of more teams, greater geographical representation, and ties to MLS; considering their size, the USL can weather the storm of teams folding and still have room to spare, whereas at 8 teams the NASL not only has to gain 4 but also hope Edmonton does skip North to the massive future Canadian League nor lose any other clubs to financial issues. There is zero guarantee that the NASL will meet its membership quota by 2018.

Make USL D2, NASL D3, and let the chip fall where they may. Hell, this Mediacom dude could still buy the club and enter them into the USL - that would probably work out better anyway.

Reactions: adam
They haven't been bought yet - all contingent on D2 status decided tomorrow.

This saga has turned into a total Shit-show. I get it that USSF doesn't want to kill teams/leagues, but have some balls and stick to the guidelines without giving away ridiculous waivers. The USL is a much stronger league structure than the NASL by virtue of more teams, greater geographical representation, and ties to MLS; considering their size, the USL can weather the storm of teams folding and still have room to spare, whereas at 8 teams the NASL not only has to gain 4 but also hope Edmonton does skip North to the massive future Canadian League nor lose any other clubs to financial issues. There is zero guarantee that the NASL will meet its membership quota by 2018.

Make USL D2, NASL D3, and let the chip fall where they may. Hell, this Mediacom dude could still buy the club and enter them into the USL - that would probably work out better anyway.

not quite yet, there's an IF in front of all of those things. We'll know more tomorrow when USSF decides on the NASL D2 status. Everything hinges on that

guess not bought yet....but i dont think USSF is going to kill anything...the issues with USL is all the MLS reserve teams there.....unless they could drop them to DIV 3 league and make say the PDL a D3 league ( Since even NASL in D3 wont accept reserve teams from MLS)

to me i still think they will keep it as status quo. Let NASL keep D2 and USL D3 and see what happens.....again

Reactions: Goodfella
Yeah, USSF does NOT want to have the blood of a league on its hands and that will be the case if they destroy NASL tomorrow.

They'll leave things as they are.

Reactions: Goodfella
I understand that NASL doesn't want the stigma of being D3, but given that nobody really gives a shit about D2 OR D3 leagues, what possible practical difference could it make to NASL or the Cosmos if NASL was reassigned to D3? They'll still pull in the exact same numbers of fans, and still have absurd dreams of their salary structure eventually making them the league / teams to watch.

NASL will neither lose nor gain fans by arbitrarily being redesignated as D3. The whole thing is stupid.

I understand that NASL doesn't want the stigma of being D3, but given that nobody really gives a shit about D2 OR D3 leagues, what possible practical difference could it make to NASL or the Cosmos if NASL was reassigned to D3? They'll still pull in the exact same numbers of fans, and still have absurd dreams of their salary structure eventually making them the league / teams to watch.

NASL will neither lose nor gain fans by arbitrarily being redesignated as D3. The whole thing is stupid.

maybe not to the cosmos but the salaries for the rest of the league....one idea mentioned was that if USL went up as a D2 then their players will want to be paid more....and MLS teams with "2" teams would take issue since their players may want to be paid more as they are now DII players not DIII.

Should NASL survive:

MLS has gotten what it wants and that is Bill Peterson is out from NASL and with it hes out from the board of US Soccer as the D2 Rep..... With the Lunatic Petterson gone and casted out his pipe dreams of D1 status for nasl and being a rival to MLS is as good as DEAD......... enter a new Commish who will be there to build up the best and most stable d2 he can and very much getting in line and on his knees to THE MASTERS of the game in USA which is MLS... AND NO OTHER.... with NASL now accepting its role and usl as d3 both them leagues can just build up their leagues and if they are smart in markets that are free of USL or NASL teams.. this whole having USL and NASL teams in the same market is fucking retarted and only hurts both.... The petterson FREAK SHOW is OVER the LUNATIC IS GONE... now the nasl can get back to being the best D2 it can be.....

The Cosmos...... Seamus obrian was the other lunatic that ate up the petterson insane scheme... guess what now sela is GONE and obrian will sell most of the team to this local Guido who wants to buy the cosmos and play at MCU... Obrian will now be second banana with no say or vote or voice... this clown is now just along for the ride... The Guido is the BOSS Now......

The cosmos have another problem...... NYC never gave a shit about minor league any thing.... Moving from Long Island to Brooklyn DOES NOT CHANGE THIS FACT........ A NEW OWNER WILL NOT CHANGE THE FACT THEY ARE STILL A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM... THE FACTS REMAIN NASL IS NOT WHAT THE SPENDING PUBLIC WANTS.... NYC SPOKE LOUD AND CLEAR... NYC PICKED THE SO CALLED FARM CLUB THE MLS TEAM over the cosmos CLAIMING to be the same team from the 70s that was simply dormant...any build up the cosmos had was thrown out the window when they announced NASL over mls... and the masses left the room and SUPPORTED AND PICKED NYCFC.... so this new ownership best adjust the teams budget to their UGLY REALITY and be the best small business it can be and call it a day....or else they will fold again... if they are going to be buying aging superstars they best no over pay on salary considering they will never ever draw more than 3k at MCU...... These are facts... THE ONLY WAY THE COSMOS TAKE NYC BY STORM IS IF THEY SIGN 11 MEGA WORLD STARS WHO PEOPLE WILL WANT TO SEE.... other than that I expect cosmos to get some sort of following that they can survive on but nothing more than that..... These are the FACTS...... I think this new owner will be more grounded to his teams reality and not DELUSIONAL like Obrian was....

I think US Soccer will keep things as they are NASL D2 USL d3...

I wish the Cosmos well ( I at One Time Supported this team until the lunatic schemes were loud and clear paving the way to leave them and embrace NYCFC )

I might even go to a game from time to time SO AS LONG AS THERE IS NO CONFLICT WITH NYCFC... But NYCFC is the PRIORITY NOW......

But after embracing NYCFC I know the future of the game of soccer in this city is with NYCFC they have the money the vision and willingness to invest... the future is bright no matter how results at yankee stadium go....... This team with all its presentation IMPERFECTIONS admit to those imperfections and want to make the experience better for fans and try to make the team as good as it can be on the pitch... I will not endure another experience in the backwater wastelands of Minor league be that NASL or USL.... MLS is not perfect but its LIGHT YEARS ahead of USL or NASL game day experience and TV production..... the vision of People backed by the corporations they own with UNLIMITED funds will always trump the little rich guys who have a few bucks from NASL and USL but not the deep pockets like the MLS Ownerships do.... and MLS with all its imperfections is the CORRECT CHOICE as far as the Future of the game in USA and Canada and the USA National team..and perhaps even the Canadian National Team..

and that is all I have to say....

Up NYCFC

Last edited: