New York Cosmos surive & move to Coney Island

What happens now with USOC seeding? Hopefullly the fcosmos have to play an extra match before we lose to them again. Unless Viera is a man of his word and takes it seriously...

Spineless. Supposedly the USL had prepared a full audit of every team and those that didn't meet the necessary D2 standards obligated themselves to meet them in 12-18 months with succinct milestones. According to the head of the USL, the NASL did not have the same information and contracts prepared.

So much for the SI article saying USSF was wary of awarding any more waivers - Sunil and Co. bent over backwards to allow the NASL to survive with only 67% of the needed teams they agreed to a few years ago. I guess it's one more year until the Kosmos die a third time.

Spineless. Supposedly the USL had prepared a full audit of every team and those that didn't meet the necessary D2 standards obligated themselves to meet them in 12-18 months with succinct milestones. According to the head of the USL, the NASL did not have the same information and contracts prepared.

So much for the SI article saying USSF was wary of awarding any more waivers - Sunil and Co. bent over backwards to allow the NASL to survive with only 67% of the needed teams they agreed to a few years ago. I guess it's one more year until the Kosmos die a third time.

If anything, this decision will hurt investors in NASL clubs as they'll burn money and be worth less by the next decision by USSF.

If anything, this decision will hurt investors in NASL clubs as they'll burn money and be worth less by the next decision by USSF.
Yep. It's definitely the long game here. Let a dying league cover the costs of Darwinian evolution. The teams that make it through will be naturally selected to join a proper d2. I think this is Solomonic in its wisdom.

Reactions: Goodfella and Paul
If both leagues are D2 then instead of Pro/Rel they can have some sort of horizontal osmosis.
Preferably spiraling bankruptcy with two more teams jumping ship to the USL & Canada.

What is the NASL going to do, play every team four times each season? Will be worse than Groundhog Day with the repetition.

Reactions: adam
No, this is tepid bullshit which allows the USSF to avoid lawsuits from the NASL teams over relegation while also sideways acknowledging that USL has a far better claim on D2 status.
And how is it not wise not to waste money putting the gun in your own hand when you can leave it in theirs?

Do you even strategery, bro?

Obviously - based on my previous comments - I think this is a weak call from USA but what's done is done.

My only question here is this: with USL now sharing D2 status, does this provide extra incentive for NASL teams to look to jump the gap and switch leagues, or does it in all practical terms change little to them, what with the USL clearly being the better long-term option before this decision anyway.

If both leagues are D2 then instead of Pro/Rel they can have some sort of horizontal osmosis.

Well the USL has already ruled out any type of cooperation between the two, so the only way that osmosis will work is if NASL once again dies a death and its members look to flock into USL to flee the sinking ship...which is pretty much the same situation we already have.

In a lot of ways, it was a vote against NASL. USL was already kicking NASL's ass as a D3 league so as an equal D2 league, it will be even harder for an even weaker NASL.

That said, the USOC matches between the two will be even more heated and important now. I like that a lot so I hope NASL survives.

It reminds me of college football and the larger playoff in the second division, FCS (yes, I realize it's technically D1), is creating such a strong buzz that many smaller FBS (actual D1) are dropping down a level to be a part of it.

People love the crossover knockout tournaments especially among rival leagues.

Reactions: Falastur
In a lot of ways, it was a vote against NASL. USL was already kicking NASL's ass as a D3 league so as an equal D2 league, it will be even harder for an even weaker NASL.

That said, the USOC matches between the two will be even more heated and important now. I like that a lot so I hope NASL survives.

It reminds me of college football and the larger playoff in the second division, FCS (yes, I realize it's technically D1), is creating such a strong buzz that many smaller FBS (actual D1) are dropping down a level to be a part of it.

People love the crossover knockout tournaments especially among rival leagues.
I'm going to chase your rabbit for a minute and opine.

I would guess that within the next 20 years, you'll see the P5 tell the NCAA to screw off for at least football. The only reason to stay even now is the NCAA basketball tournament. As the NCAA continues to prove its corrupt nature and obsolence, more and more schools will get onboard.

What we'll hopefully get with the P5 eventually is the dropping of amateur pretense and the acknowledgement of college sports being a minor league professional endeavor.

Reactions: Paul and joe
So let me get this straight: NASL and USL are one entitity now?
No. It's before yourtime, but think of the old NFL and USFL: two professional football leagues with absolutely no crossover of games but each had their own draft for the same players and were in direct competition for marketing and viewership/fans. The USFL also has no salary cap (sound familiar?) and had trouble securing prime venues (especially if an NFL team was already a tenant).

In many ways, the USL is like the NFL and the NASL is akin to the USFL.