NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Great. Now I can never get pissed at Claudio for any of his decisions. I just feel awful for him and his family. At least I can alway hate on Kreis.

Haha i know man I cant get mad at him either. Couldn't even imagine the feeling of having to see your first child die. Deff gonna cheer on Gio like crazy when he make his pro debut for our club

But like doesn't he want his son to have a direct path to the best team in MLS in terms of market value? And a direct connection to Europe?
Doesn't he still count as a HG by being on the roster of an Academy Affiliate? What he's missing is the day to day coaching/support structure of the NYCFC org, but he may feel he's getting it under the tutelage of his father, who obviously has some sort of pedigree to be running the coaching of BWG and getting him on the BNT. Granted, this goes against a player being immersed in the "City Way," but I for one think that's a positive rather than a negative - too much homogeny stifles outside-the-box approaches.

Interesting that there's a midfielder from BW Gottschee - surprised he hasn't been tapped up to the Academy team. Wonder if he was offered and didn't want to leave his home club?

The junior national teams work differently than the senior team and even perhaps the U20s. They are constantly rotating players, rather than rotating around a core, so the pool is much larger. This gives them a chance to see far more kids playing against the most competitive teams.

The BWG kid was not likely good enough to get guaranteed playing time on NYCFC so he stayed with his dad's club to get maximum playing time at center midfield.

Based on all reports (I've never met him myself), the dad is a bit of a loon.

The junior national teams work differently than the senior team and even perhaps the U20s. They are constantly rotating players, rather than rotating around a core, so the pool is much larger. This gives them a chance to see far more kids playing against the most competitive teams.

The BWG kid was not likely good enough to get guaranteed playing time on NYCFC so he stayed with his dad's club to get maximum playing time at center midfield.

Based on all reports (I've never met him myself), the dad is a bit of a loon.
I wish we could afford to have regional BNTs and tourneys for them. I guess the hope is a fully developed MLS Academy and lower-division leagues will serve the same purpose. As it is, I've often (unoriginally) thought that, even at the full NT but particularly the YNT level, the size and population of our country is at least as much of a detriment as it is a benefit.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Doesn't he still count as a HG by being on the roster of an Academy Affiliate? What he's missing is the day to day coaching/support structure of the NYCFC org, but he may feel he's getting it under the tutelage of his father, who obviously has some sort of pedigree to be running the coaching of BWG and getting him on the BNT. Granted, this goes against a player being immersed in the "City Way," but I for one think that's a positive rather than a negative - too much homogeny stifles outside-the-box approaches.

Well Jack Harrison played for our affiliate club and we couldn't claim him as a homegrown.

Reactions: adam
I wondered if they would start an academy before an actual women's team. Seems like a good move.

We are slowly building out our full ladder and organization. Awesome to see.

Code:
     MEN'S TEAM         WOMEN'S TEAM
     ----------         ------------
      NYCFC Men - 1ST -
 San Antonio FC - RES -
LI Rough Riders - U23 -
     NYCFC Boys - U19 - NYCFC Girls
     NYCFC Boys - U16 - NYCFC Girls
     NYCFC Boys - U15 - NYCFC Girls
     NYCFC Boys - U14 - NYCFC Girls
     NYCFC Boys - U13 -
     NYCFC Boys - U12 -

I would think this would be an exciting development for local girls soccer players.

But Fred's posts on some of the struggles with the boys affiliates make me wonder if local teams would see it as competition. But presumably they have some level of buy in from those same affiliates in order to even start this.

I would think this would be an exciting development for local girls soccer players.

But Fred's posts on some of the struggles with the boys affiliates make me wonder if local teams would see it as competition. But presumably they have some level of buy in from those same affiliates in order to even start this.
Those are issues with the affiliate league, not the Academy.

The Girls Academy will face an entirely different set of issues. The primary goal of HS girls soccer players is to leverage it into college admissions and scholarships, not the dream of playing professionally. Many of the girls clubs have incredible college contact networks developed over many years. That will be hard to duplicate for NYCFC and will keep many top girls away.

The girls academy team are not likely to be up to part with the boys because of this.