NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Falastur Falastur what level would you say the Premier League 2 is even with? League 2? The National League (I think that's what it's called)?

I hate the name "National League". It sounds like a neo-Nazi rally. I insist on continuing to call the competition "the Conference", come what may.

That said, to actually answer your question - it's hard to give a proper response because it's all speculative and also because there are two aspects to this to be considered. I will also point out that I've seen little of it, but I do know what kinds of players play at that level and I'm familiar with what the kinds of talent gaps are between the best and worst teams.

In terms of skill level, the best teams in the competition are probably able to compete at the level of a lower Championship side on their day, while the weakest ones would probably be a match for a good League Two side. Some PL2 teams have genuinely skilful players who wouldn't look out of place in a top PL side.

The issue is that they aren't used to playing in a physical league, though, and when put up against a player who is both physically aggressive and also good enough to not be danced around or run past, they are going to struggle to win many challenges. In terms of athletic and physical ability, they probably compete at a level much closer to L2. If you were to put a top-ten PL2 side right now into the FL and ask them to play an entire season, they would almost certainly be relegated in the Championship, and quite likely L1 too. I'm guessing most would finish somewhere around the middle-to-bottom of L2. And again, that's not because they don't have the ability, it's because they're not used to the sheer demands of both individual games and of playing 50-game seasons. They don't have to face the shoulder-barges, the heavy tackles or the sheer lung-bursting athleticism of genuine FL opponents - at that level it is acceptable for them to put in a 60-minute shift and then come off exhausted to let a teammate take over. Not many FL managers would be happy with one of their players being so easy to wear out.

You may be aware that this season the FL did deign to let some academy sides play in the Football League Trophy, which is a competition for L1 and L2 sides only. The academy sides which entered (the top PL sides all declined to enter for various reasons) didn't exactly cover themselves with glory, although neither did they prove unable to compete, but by and large it was quite clear that neither the academy sides nor their professional rivals were genuinely interested in treating the games as competitive, so I don't think we can use them as evidence.

A little late, but no one posted so.
They also have a game tomorrow. Should be fun. Heard a bunch of the kids are getting serious college looks. Do you guys think NYCFC should pull trigger so they don't get away, or will the FO let them go to college and work them back in after?

IMG_6194.PNG

Reactions: Kjbert
They also have a game tomorrow. Should be fun. Heard a bunch of the kids are getting serious college looks. Do you guys think NYCFC should pull trigger so they don't get away, or will the FO let them go to college and work them back in after?

View attachment 6558

Academy players that go to college can still be signed as homegrown players. Just looks at Jordan Morris.

View attachment 6558
Thought I pasted the Twitter videos before.
You can actually just paste the link and it'll embed the tweet.
Click that little down arrow to the right of NYCFCAcademy TV and then Share Tweet Via and then Copy Link. Then just paste it in the post.

Reactions: Kjbert and JohnB
Academy players that go to college can still be signed as homegrown players. Just looks at Jordan Morris.

I meant more as in forced into a college system that perhaps is not as helpful as one might think when it comes to making pro soccer players

Who actually runs the Twitter handle? A parent that goes to all the games and films all the games? Someone from the academy?

View attachment 6558
Do you happen to know the standings in the Orando tournament?

Do you happen to know the standings in the Orando tournament?

I don't know the exact rankings, but they have to beat Red Bull's tomorrow, or philly has to lose and then they go through. If I had to guess( haven't seen the standings in a while) I'd say we're in fifth right now

Who actually runs the Twitter handle? A parent that goes to all the games and films all the games? Someone from the academy?

If you follow their tweets to their vimeo page, it's run from an account called "JNR ProDs". That account has existed for 6 years, and before it seemed to become a NYCFC-centric channel it was still uploading similar highlights of a range of NYC-area youth teams. Additionally, if you look at the way the videos are recorded they are almost certainly filmed from a tripod, so it's clearly not an entirely amateur production.

Best guess (and this is of course nothing more than sheer hypothesis) this is a person who likes to support youth football - perhaps someone involved in some level of coaching theirselves - and quite possibly sells on their footage to youth clubs to act as some kind of low-level performance analysis. Since March 2016 (when the twitter handle was created) they seem to have become entirely affiliated to NYCFC.

I really wonder how gio Reyna is gonna develop.

Im really not trying to be a dick here but is gio Reyna already taller than maxi?

Also I shouldn't be talking cause I'm 3 inches away from being a hobbit .

Last edited:
I really wonder how gio Reyna is gonna develop.

Im really not trying to be a dick here but is gio Reyna already taller than maxi?

Also I shouldn't be talking cause I'm 3 inches away from being a hobbit .

He may join the first team for preseason next year but given that his father is arguably the one of greatest USMNT player ever as well as the Sporting Director of NYCFC, I can imagine that Claudio will know when his son is ready to play with the first team rather than playing with the academy or a college or USL team.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
I would be shocked if Gio didn't go to college. He's also only in 8th grade so I wouldn't expect to see him for another two years at least.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
I would be shocked if Gio didn't go to college. He's also only in 8th grade so I wouldn't expect to see him for another two years at least.
That's what's scary about our U16 team. They're one of the youngest around and were the youngest at the tournament in Orlando. They're showing a lot of promise.