NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

This squad has Scally and Sands on it right?

Apparently Scally is the better prospect

Yes, very apparent when you watch them. I think Sands is the third best midfielder (at the 6/8 positions) in that rough age group.

Little Cavani and the guy whose name I can never find or remember both seem to be technically superior and have a bit more guile to their games.

Of course, since we don’t ever get to see Sands, I may be wrong. He certainly played positive when he got a few minutes in the USOC.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Sands' issues are athletic. He's slow. Maybe why he plays as a CB internationally.

Yes, very apparent when you watch them. I think Sands is the third best midfielder (at the 6/8 positions) in that rough age group.

Little Cavani and the guy whose name I can never find or remember both seem to be technically superior and have a bit more guile to their games.

Of course, since we don’t ever get to see Sands, I may be wrong. He certainly played positive when he got a few minutes in the USOC.
Little Cavani, Haak, has the potential to be a real star for the US. He’s the type of dribbling midfielder we haven’t had since Tab Ramos.

Reactions: snugglefarts

I think it's easier to be a young RB/RW in MLS than a CDM, CB just based on the physicality of the league, not too many teams are blazing fast like Atlanta or Houston or us.

I think it's easier to be a young RB/RW in MLS than a CDM, CB just based on the physicality of the league, not too many teams are blazing fast like Atlanta or Houston or us.
Not sure if easier is the right word - outside players, whether wings or backs, have to physically cover far more ground on a continuous basis while also being aware of the overlap by the opponent. Granted, they have the benefit of the sideline as a defender/boundary, which a CDM or CB doesn’t have the luxury of, and that does relieve some tactical awareness compared to the middle players keeping track on a 360deg scale. The flip side of the sideline is that middle players have the benefit of twice the number of outlets to engage because they can play 360. So I wouldn’t say one is necessarily easier than the other, they’re both complex for different reasons and rely on different skill sets.

Many coaches will tell you that the talent goes up the spine and the raw speed goes up the sidelines.

I think there's generally some truth in that at younger ages of development.

NYCFC ties the Red Bulls 0-0 in the U16/17 group stage. Red Bulls top the group and advance on goal differential. +6 vs. +4.

Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
So our Academy signings still play full time in the academy, but train with the senior team and receive a paycheck?
Sands stopped playing for the Academy team when he signed.

Reactions: Kjbert