Nycfc Coaching Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said this elsewhere, but I disagree. CFG needs someone strong willed, but aligned with management. Kreis was neither of these things. He couldn't control his players and isn't the kind of guy that would challenge MLS leaders for changes benefiting a big market club.

Kreis was a soft willed toward the league and his players, and strong willed toward CFG. Of course he was going to get fired.

I expect a much bigger persona to be brought in that CFG is familiar with and knows they won't have to fight with on their vision.
And who might that be?

I said this elsewhere, but I disagree. CFG needs someone strong willed, but aligned with management. Kreis was neither of these things. He couldn't control his players and isn't the kind of guy that would challenge MLS leaders for changes benefiting a big market club.

Kreis was a soft willed toward the league and his players, and strong willed toward CFG. Of course he was going to get fired.

I expect a much bigger persona to be brought in that CFG is familiar with and knows they won't have to fight with on their vision.
Considering how many times Kreis was fined by MLS for criticizing refs, rules and even being fined for wearing the kit he wanted to not the league tells me he was probably just as stubborn towards MLS as he probably was with MC.

In the end it was a bad mix, and since CFG isn't changing I fully expect a yes man or another bull who will quickly get fired and us all with the same results.
Preki wouldn't be bad, although I don't think he's "name brand" enough.

Too bad we can't lure Pareja from Dallas and give him full run of the team and academy. While FCD has had a strong academy since before him, he has done wonders incorporating new talent into first team football.

He's probably the best man for the job, but I don't know that he would ever take it. I think he'd be a great one to take over the US program, or really any program.

Sadly, we have the slowest team in MLS, by far, thanks largely to the non-CFG acquisitions. As a result, Oscar would need several years to get the squad molded into one who could play his preferred style. That said, Mix is tailor-made for this style with his work rate and natural inclination to play one and two touches. And could you imagine Poku playing a forward destroyer role as some of us were shouting since early season? His physicality and direct style would have CBs going all Parkhurst vs. Impact regularly. A three of Poku, Mix and Angelino (we hardly knew ye) would have been nasty behind Villa/Mullins. Again, the rest of the squad couldn't keep up this year, but I'm just daydreaming about us in the front third. Don't poopoo this for me.

I will confess. I appreciate the idea of playing the beautiful game with possession. But I love gegenpressing. Not for this squad, mind. But it would be so much fun to eventually have a squad with blistering pace that suffocated opponents and took advantage of the MLS-standard play out of the back. Oh shit, did I just credit RBNJ with playing fun football? I guess I did. Welp, roxfontaine , let me know when you'll be coming by to pick up my card. ;)
Pareja wa an assistant and academy coach at Dallas before leaving for 1 year to Colorado. I think he is an excellent coach for the youth and first team. He's also a former long time teammate and friend of Kreis and he will fully warn him of the toxic situation in NYC. Plus Pareja hasn't won anything yet in Dallas and so he won't want to leave until he has accomplished something more than win the conference with his youth.

I agree with you 100%. CFG needs a strong willed individual that commands respect from the players, no matter if you are Pirlo or a soon to be MLS reject like Wingert. But who could that be??????

I agree with you 100%. CFG needs a strong willed individual that commands respect from the players, no matter if you are Pirlo or a soon to be MLS reject like Wingert. But who could that be??????
That person doesn't exist. Ownership needs to get out of the player selection and acquisition department. And only then do we have a chance. BTW there are no big acquisitions coming, we are using all 3 DPs and no plans to move them by decree from little Manchester.

Reactions: S1ARK5
I think the reason the MLS journos are so bent is because CFG actually followed their advice on the kreis hire. They said only an American can understand MLS rules and drafts, and kreis is the heir apparent for the national team. CFG went out and got the agreed upon best coach out there for MLS.

Then they watched him Fail at every aspect of the team. Failed at the drafts. Failed at building a team to suit his tactics. Failed at handling three huge soccer talents. Failed at handling young players. Failed at handling New York media. Failed to have any coherent plan for year two.

Now the dumb American soccer media is falling over themselves to say how dumb he was to fire. Our Guy needs two years, these highly talented soccer players are not the right guys for Our Guy. It's all bullshit, and all these sad obituaries being written for Kreis, are actually obituaries for the myth that American soccer is a fundamentally different animal than world soccer. I say it's a happy day. The league gets way better the second we win with a strong soccer mind from overseas. Say goodbye to the MLS dogma.

Or the collective MLS media knows more than CFG about winning in MLS. When everyone who has been covering MLS for years, and I mean everyone, say this was a dumb move, there just might be something to it.

Time will tell. Let's see who the brain trust sign to replace Kreis before we start patting ourselves on the back on how smart we are.

What about the national team coaches for Spain or Brazil? Aren't they likely to be sacked with how their World Cup performances turned out?

That person doesn't exist. Ownership needs to get out of the player selection and acquisition department. And only then do we have a chance. BTW there are no big acquisitions coming, we are using all 3 DPs and no plans to move them by decree from little Manchester.
Exactly. If you look at all of sports franchises, the ones that have a meddling owner, always fail, and are a laughing stock. Just to name a few: Cowboys - Jerry Jones, Knicks - Dolan, Yankees - Steinbrenner in the 80s, not until he hired Gene Michael and Bob Watson, did they turn the corner, Mets- Wilpons, again Sandy Alderson came in a few years back and cut the fat, they took their lumps and displayed a WS team this year.....on and on....as you said, let the soccer people coach and bring in players they think will fit the system, and let the ownership group pay them and thats it.

Exactly. If you look at all of sports franchises, the ones that have a meddling owner, always fail, and are a laughing stock. Just to name a few: Cowboys - Jerry Jones, Knicks - Dolan, Yankees - Steinbrenner in the 80s, not until he hired Gene Michael and Bob Watson, did they turn the corner, Mets- Wilpons, again Sandy Alderson came in a few years back and cut the fat, they took their lumps and displayed a WS team this year.....on and on....as you said, let the soccer people coach and bring in players they think will fit the system, and let the ownership group pay them and thats it.
Give an example of the soccer people coaching this year.

CFG isn't Fred Wilpon or James Dolan. It's a soccer empire built for the sole purpose of winning at all levels. Both of those guys use their franchises to earn money. Winning isn't even close to their priority.

Reactions: Jock
Give an example of the soccer people coaching this year.
In MLS I would say Pareja at Dallas, Sigi at Seattle, Bernhalter at Crew just to name a few are soccer guys who's FO clearly let the managers/coaches make the decisions and also went out and got the new players those coaches wanted. Evidence paints a picture of this not happening at NYCFC.

I don't want another good soccer coach who is micromanaged, I also don't want a yes man.

I wouldn't mind some fantasy great coach, be it Mourinho or Capello, but if they do that, they MUST replace Reyna with a MLS cap guy.

Reactions: Kjbert
How about an MLS savvy front office exec - a capologist even - with a world class tactical manager. Doesn't have to be a big name. Maybe someone who was never a great buyer of talent.

Like David Moyes.

In MLS I would say Pareja at Dallas, Sigi at Seattle, Bernhalter at Crew just to name a few are soccer guys who's FO clearly let the managers/coaches make the decisions and also went out and got the new players those coaches wanted. Evidence paints a picture of this not happening at NYCFC.

I don't want another good soccer coach who is micromanaged, I also don't want a yes man.

I wouldn't mind some fantasy great coach, be it Mourinho or Capello, but if they do that, they MUST replace Reyna with a MLS cap guy.
I mean give an example of our soccer guy coaching this year.

Agree with your point here mostly. Meddling owners generally fail, and really need to step away. However, I will give you one example where it worked out, Mark Cuban with the Mavericks.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Agree with your point here mostly. Meddling owners generally fail, and really need to step away. However, I will give you one example where it worked out, Mark Cuban with the Mavericks.
How is CFG meddling? They sat back and watched our coach play Jacobson, Grabavoy, and Wingert all year. Kreis was given enough rope to hang himself

Now the dumb American soccer media is falling over themselves to say how dumb he was to fire. Our Guy needs two years, these highly talented soccer players are not the right guys for Our Guy. It's all bullshit, and all these sad obituaries being written for Kreis, are actually obituaries for the myth that American soccer is a fundamentally different animal than world soccer.
Of course, the myopic majority is welcome to find "journos" who agree with their point of view.

Regardless, the die is cast.
Kreis is out.
Those who chose him are now tasked with choosing someone to replace him. I look forward to their choice and hope for our sake that it's a good one. However, confidence is not high.

Status
Not open for further replies.