NYCFC expect Frank Lampard to miss season opener due to injury

Lamps could change that for us if he pulls his shit together.

Considering the player that he is (was), the money spent, and his reputation, it's crazy how much slack we cut him. He absolutely needs to pull his shit together --- and I think he will. We saw the real Lamps towards the very end of last season (I went to grab a beer right as the DC game was starting and my wife starts going nuts in the other room a minute into the match - goal for Lampard). I don't blame anything on him (injuries happen) but it's just laughable that we are starting without him once again.

I've said it before, but I can't see someone like him risking his reputation on something he wasn't fully committed to. He could have easily retired at Chelsea, gone down as one of the best players they've ever had, and gone off into the sunset to write his kiddie books. He decided to risk all of that and play in NY. He's here to win, and I respect him for that, but holy hell we'll never hear the end of this.

upload_2016-3-4_13-12-46.png
upload_2016-3-4_13-13-15.png
upload_2016-3-4_13-13-50.png

Reactions: Kjbert
Not surprised that lampard is injured and will not play , I am sure he will be out many games this year. Hopefully this teaches NYCFC management to stay away from OLD players, Lanpard should be retired not playing for NYCFC.

Lampard has been a waste of money and DP spot, his only contribution has been marketing the club to EPL fans.

Let's hope once he is gone we replace him with a 25 year old potential star,

No more old players please.

Reactions: BxLio91
Considering the player that he is (was), the money spent, and his reputation, it's crazy how much slack we cut him. He absolutely needs to pull his shit together --- and I think he will. We saw the real Lamps towards the very end of last season (I went to grab a beer right as the DC game was starting and my wife starts going nuts in the other room a minute into the match - goal for Lampard). I don't blame anything on him (injuries happen) but it's just laughable that we are starting without him once again.

I've said it before, but I can't see someone like him risking his reputation on something he wasn't fully committed to. He could have easily retired at Chelsea, gone down as one of the best players they've ever had, and gone off into the sunset to write his kiddie books. He decided to risk all of that and play in NY. He's here to win, and I respect him for that, but holy hell we'll never hear the end of this.

View attachment 4267
View attachment 4268
View attachment 4269
How quickly the MLS trolls forget.....

Lother Matthaus: 16 matches for one season with photos of him at the beach
Luis Hernandez: 16 / 14 matches for two seasons
Branco: 11 matches ending with 3 red cards
Rafa Marquez: 12/21/17 over three years (2 playoff games each of those seasons, so still a crap number of regular season outings)

While some these were not DP's in name, they were the equivalent type signings at that point in the league.

I'll reserve the right to not judge either side of the argument. All have valid points. I'm sure it all mounts from the frustration that we just want to see him play, especially after last years debacle. For anyone to say he's been worth the money or DP slot so far is insane. But I'm willing to see how the year pans out before categorizing him as a DP failure. This isn't a good start though.

We have four injured guys, one is old, three are young. HOw do you figure that older guys have a higher likelihood of injury? I'd say its the opposite, if you've made it this far in your career without serious injury, you are less likely to have one now. Its a calf strain. Muscular injuries can happen to any athlete at any time. Pirlo is just as old, and I haven't heard any complaints about him. I'd respond to your last sentence by saying don't hide an irrational hatred of Frank behind an injury concern.

We have a player who was fit to start last season, fit enough to score goals in the PL league. But he chose to play somewhere else when he was healthy and we needed him. Maybe if he was fit here for even a small amount of time and contributed to this team in a positive way, he could have earned some goodwill among us. But he wasted his fitness and health on another team when he had promised to be with us. And now all we have is the worn out leftovers. The time when we can cut his rotting carcass from our roster and replace him with a player who's both fit and fits our system can't come soon enough in my opinion.

Rafa Marquez: 12/21/17 over three years (2 playoff games each of those seasons, so still a crap number of regular season outings)

Rafa was a whole other level of "I don't give a s***", not caring and then calling out his teammates for not being "at his level". He caused RBNY fans to boo him every time he touched the ball at one point.

Yeah, call Lamps injury-prone, but towards the end of last year when he was finally fit, he was a good player. And nothing he has done while he was here indicates that he is Rafa level of "I don't care." Give him a few games, if 10 games into the season he is still either injured and/or playing like crap with an attitude to match, then you can place him on the Mount Rushmore of DP Failure.

Last edited:
Rafa was a whole other level of "I don't give a s***", not caring and then calling out his teammates for not being "at his level". And then to call the other team-mates not at his level. He caused RBNJ fans to boo him every time he touched the ball at one point.

Yeah, call Lamps injury-prone, but towards the end of last year when he was finally fit, he was a good player. And nothing he has done while he was here indicates that he is Rafa level of "I don't care." Give him a few games, if 10 games into the season he is still either injured and/or playing like crap with an attitude to match, then you can place him on the Mount Rushmore of DP Failure.

I think Frank wants to compete and win. But problem is he wanted revenge and to hurt Chelsea more last season then compete with us. So he used up what was left in Frank's Tank on Man City, and it didn't even lead to anything. It would be nice if he could help us now, but he doesn't fit this system, can't go 90 minutes and is always hurt. I hope he gives us something before June, but I've given up. Anything we get now is a bonus in my mind. And that's not what we should expect out of a DP. If he really cares about the team he should retire come June so we can replace him with a DP who can contribute.

Reactions: NYCFCP and BxLio91
I think Frank wants to compete and win. But problem is he wanted revenge and to hurt Chelsea more last season then compete with us. So he used up what was left in Frank's Tank on Man City, and it didn't even lead to anything. It would be nice if he could help us now, but he doesn't fit this system, can't go 90 minutes and is always hurt. I hope he gives us something before June, but I've given up. Anything we get now is a bonus in my mind. And that's not what we should expect out of a DP. If he really cares about the team he should retire come June so we can replace him with a DP who can contribute.
I think we're going to get 10 goals out of him. And I'm not trolling you - I'm being serious.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I know that T-Mac will now start, but we actually now have the players to play a 4-2-3-1 on Sunday if Mix and Pirlo control the midfield behind Poku and the wingers. Let Poku roam behind Villa.

I agree with Tom in Fairfield CT that Poku doesn't play the right type of shuttler role here for the one touch that we will have to play. I also don't think that T-Mac does it well either.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think we're going to get 10 goals out of him. And I'm not trolling you - I'm being serious.

Just curious about you position on this if you do believe he could score 10 goals, and I hope he's a big contributor and helps the team do well. But, if he's at 3-4 goals by week 15 and CFG can work out an agreement for him to retire with a golden handshake paying him his remaining $3mm, do you want him to play out the string and get to 10 goals on pure grit from what's left of his worn out body (because I believe he will try his best)? Or, would you rather cut bait at that point and bring in a difference maker who deserves $6-$8mm a year and fits the 433 system PV has instituted?

Reactions: BxLio91
hes gone after this year....thats all...who cares what other MLS fans think.

I know that T-Mac will now start, but we actually now have the players to play a 4-2-3-1 on Sunday if Mix and Pirlo control the midfield behind Poku and the wingers. Let Poku roam behind Villa.

I agree with Tom in Fairfield CT that Poku doesn't play the right type of shuttler role here for the one touch that we will have to play. I also don't think that T-Mac does it well either.
Well, some of the players to play that, except the striker to play a 4-2-3-1. Villa needs company up top.

Reactions: Konrad
He's here to win, and I respect him for that, but holy hell we'll never hear the end of this.

Lampard better make the winning strike at our next derby match. If he does this, the rest of the world may laugh at us, but we will have the supreme satisfaction of knowing that we beat NJRB with a 37 year old Englishman with only 1 good leg ....

Reactions: Konrad
Just curious about you position on this if you do believe he could score 10 goals, and I hope he's a big contributor and helps the team do well. But, if he's at 3-4 goals by week 15 and CFG can work out an agreement for him to retire with a golden handshake paying him his remaining $3mm, do you want him to play out the string and get to 10 goals on pure grit from what's left of his worn out body (because I believe he will try his best)? Or, would you rather cut bait at that point and bring in a difference maker who deserves $6-$8mm a year and fits the 433 system PV has instituted?
That's tough because too many unknown variables are in play. Does Lamps want to hang it up? Is Lamps holding off a pending injury? Is the team gelled with him or is it a shitshow? Who is his replacement and could they contribute immediately (I.e a certain Swedish Viking) Because Forwards have less issues coming in midseason than defenders or forwards. Does CFG bring somebody in day one of transfer period or the last day? Is the team in contention for the postseason or open cup? I'd hate to mess up continuity of either of those.

There's really no possible answer right now. If I was CFG and Reyna, I'd have a short list of players ready so that if needed time isn't wasted. But if the team is playing well, You definitely don't upset the harmony. If it's a battle within the table, and Lamps is gritting it out and up to 3-4 goals and the players look to him, you don't make the change. Vieira made a big point at the meet/greet that one of the factors he took away from Arsenal and being a member of The Invincibles was that they were a family - they did everything together and had the utmost respect for each other. That was an environment he wanted to bring to NYCFC. And with that in mind, I don't think you dump a contributing veteran mid-season - it would go 180 degrees against the environment and philosophy that PV is building.

Now if Lamps has a major injury, that's another story and retirement is the probable outcome. But I'm not even going to that dark place, so forget I mentioned it.

#mobilepost

Rafa was a whole other level of "I don't give a s***", not caring and then calling out his teammates for not being "at his level". He caused RBNJ fans to boo him every time he touched the ball at one point.

As someone who lived through the Marquez crapfest first hand, I agree. No way is Lampard in that category. But if he doesn't start to play soon and have a positive impact on the pitch, to me he will go down as one of the worst dp signings. He only has this season because he will retire so the more games he misses the worse it gets.