Nycfc Film Breakdown: The Goal That Started The Avalanche

Andres Emilio Soto

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 16, 2015
NYC
thenycfcnation.com
We're all fans and we all celebrate in our own ways. During the first 20 minutes against the Red Bulls on Sunday, I was thinking of how crazy the atmosphere would be when the referee blows the final whistle. Think about it. How insane would the bars be? How loud would the streets be? How Blue our City would be?

I'm not listed as an official player on NYCFC's roster, so it's okay for me to prematurely think about celebrations 20 minutes into the first half. The issue is it seems NYCFC players were also thinking about this celebration. That can explain why after the first 20 minutes they seemed to have given up. Was that the reason for their poor performance?Or was it the coach of Red Bulls finding a way to through Kreis' strategy completely stuffing any of our chances?

Well we all saw what was happening during the last 35 minutes of the first half. You could almost smell the goal coming from the Red Bulls any minute. It smelled like...probably like this can of fermented herring.

Half time helped me settle down a bit and beer did too. We were up 1-0! Then a scuffle in section 225/226 certainly infuriated me even more when an obnoxious RB fans was talking smack to a pair of BBSC and HoO guys. It got worse when he started to yelp for security as these two guys confronted him. Luckily his friend was able to pull him away. Anyways, then then this happened.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-001.jpg

David Villa is tripped by the half line and NYCFC is awarded a free kick. Mehdi Ballouchy take the free kick with a pass to Mix Diskerud.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-002.jpg

Mix, looks over his shoulder to find where Villa is standing before the ball gets to him.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-003.jpg

Mix flicks the ball with his left foot beating the Red Bulls defense closing in.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-004.jpg

Though the ball isn't pass accurately enough for Villa to grab it. That said, I'm not sure that passing the ball to Villa when there are 6 Red Bulls fans and only 3 NYCFC attackers but hey, you never know!

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-005.jpg

The ball is quickly recovered by the Red Bulls.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-006.jpg

The ball is not out of harms way and the Red Bulls attack starts.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-007.jpg

Mix rushes to the ball carrier.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-008.jpg

But is too late as it's lobbed over the half line.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-009.jpg

To a running Bradley Wright-Phillips.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-010.jpg

Who controls the ball and looks to make the first cross into the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-011.jpg

RJ Allen does a good job closing in on Phillips and blocks the pass. The ball flies straight up.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-012.jpg

Though Phillips win the air challenge and heads it towards the top of the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-013.jpg

I'm not sure why Jason Hernandez was so slow in getting to the ball but Sacha Kljestan gets to it first. Note: see how Phillips moves back into the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-014.jpg

Kljestan moves around the corner of the box and now both Allen and Hernandez are left to mark him. Queue in Andrew Jacobson to the far right. Note: Phillips is unmarked and Shay Facey has to decide who is more dangerous at this moment Anatole Bertrand Abang or Phillips.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-015.jpg

Kljestan moves toward the end line. Hernandez does a smart thing and moves back into the center of the box. Phillips appears to move around Abang. I'm not sure how Jacobson is staring at but IMO he should of seen Phillips moving in the box.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-016.jpg

Kljestan readys his cross with a back tacking Hernandez. Ballouchy...has't moved. You can see Phillips easily moving around Abang and Shay has to still with Abang as he moves towards goal.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-017.jpg

The ball is crossed. This time Allen could not block the pass.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-018.jpg

Here you easily see Phillips licking his lips as he's left wide open. Jacobson not coming in to help.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-019.jpg

Jeb Brovsky is too late to defend the pass and Phillips one times it and Josh can't do anything about it.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-020.jpg

Easy goal.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-021.jpg

Then it appears Hernandez get's animated and throws his arm at anger towards Brovsky.

nycfc-fan-podcast-andres-e-soto-film-breakdown-first-red-bulls-goal-on-6-28-2015-022.jpg

Jacobson also opens up his arms towards Brovsky in dispute. I'm not sure it's entirely his fault though.

This loss hurt. It wouldn't be so bad if we played the Red Bulls again this season in Yankee Stadium to get revenge, but we don't. This was our only chance this season

I certainly hope our team can dust this loss off and get a win at Montréal. Good thing I don't play for the team because I can't. This loss is as hard to swallow as this fermented herring.

npawn

Last edited:
Thanks, this is awesome. Brovsky, Bellouchy and Jacobson are standing around with their thumbs up their asses. Why Brodsky continues to get playing time is beyond me.

Reactions: Andres Emilio Soto
Hi Drainyoo Drainyoo thanks for the compliment. Yes those three were standing around in this play doing nothing but that's why I can't put all the blame on Brovsky. With Jeb though, I'm pretty sure we'll see less of him with the addition of Iraola, Angelino and the return of Calle.

Keith Putnam Keith Putnam no I do not sit in 226 unfortunately. I sit in 205. I brought three of my closest friends to the match and they bought in 225 and they are now NYC fans. It's amazing since they love baseball and Amer football and just couldn't help celebrate even after the loss. That said, during the half I made my way around to meet with them and the scuffle happened near that section but by the beer lines. Notice you live in RP, I live near FH, we should meet up one day!

mgarbowski mgarbowski I tried to slide that one in...hahahha! That was Ned. He must be infected with VPV.

In real time, I felt that Allen was VERY slow to react to Kljestan running toward the corner. I can see here in the video, that Brovsky is completely flat footed until the cross is already coming in. How the hell do you leave BWP open and not see the misdirection on facey?

#NoSleepTilCutDay

Hahaha FredMertz FredMertz thanks for the kind words and I am actually looking for a soccer team I can assist a coach or volunteer!

TY SoupInNYC SoupInNYC !

T Tom in Fairfield CT I agree with you so much. But before that you could also say that Hernandez should have beaten Kljestan to the ball as well. I guess we can say that at the end of the day, this goal was a total team effort, from both teams.

Stay tuned for our match preview episode soon to hit iTunes and Stitcher today. ETA 5PM

Reactions: FootyLovin