Nycfc First Championship-when?

How long will it take for NYCFC to win the MLS Cup?
Hopefully first
Exactly. We support this club, we want to win every year! I'll be patient, and it also depends on how the expansion draft works out and what the CBA works out too which will impact how difficult it will be to build a champonship MLS club. Either way, I have gone all in on this club and this is who I will support. Chicago won the MLS Cup in it's first season and depending on how things go down, I think we can do the same. I can survive a disappointing first and even second season, but I expect to be a top-notch club very quickly. I will not be happy with a TFC model of several years of awful before we get our act together.

Reactions: True Blue
Making the playoffs in 2015 is the promise land. Not making them in 2015 is not the end of the world. Winning the Cup in the first 5 years would be awesome.

2 MLS Cups in the first 5 Years, 5 Playoff appearances.
Setting low expectations I see. Might want to dial that down a bit or you might be in for a rough 5 years.
Honestly I don't believe that is out of line. While I won't set my expectations too high, depending on how we do in the expansion draft and what happens with the new CBA, we can certainly become a dominant team almost right away. I think we got the right manager and if they allow 4 or more DP's next year, I would expect us to have the best core of DP's in the league. If you have 4 top-notch players on the field already, it's not that hard to build a great team around them. We of course need to build an entire roster using drafts, homegrown player, trades and even reclamation projects to build a complete team. That's where I think Jason Kreis sets us apart from most of the league!

Interesting thoughts in here. For my part, I'm generally a patient guy - or, less patient and more by nature pessimistic and expecting the odd thing to go wrong along the way. I'd be happy with a first play-off appearance within three seasons and an appearance in the final after five. That said, I am artificially setting my sights low in the hopes of seeing them surpassed, of course...

2016 or 2017 at the earliest. First season will be mainly focusing on getting the team to play as a cohesive unite.

2016 or 2017 at the earliest. First season will be mainly focusing on getting the team to play as a cohesive unite.

Do you really need a whole season to do that? I mean, the team is full of professionals. I would think a few games to play as a cohesive unit, but not a whole season. Look at the BPL, top clubs are still signing big players the second week into the season and they are certainly not giving the team a whole season to learn to play with the new signings -- they expect the win this year.

That said, given that our team will primarily be staffed by the expansion draft, the quality of players may not be up to par to win the cup in the first or second year. Villa and Lampard are not likely to play every game, given their age, and they can't carry the team by themselves anyway.

Do you really need a whole season to do that? I mean, the team is full of professionals. I would think a few games to play as a cohesive unit, but not a whole season. Look at the BPL, top clubs are still signing big players the second week into the season and they are certainly not giving the team a whole season to learn to play with the new signings -- they expect the win this year.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between bringing a few new players into an established club, whose players for the most are part used to working together, and starting from scratch where few/none of the players have played together before, few of them have been coached by Kreis before, all of them need to learn his tactics and expectations for the team, some of our best players will need to settle into the league itself, etc. Building a team from scratch is a lot more complicated than signing a few new players at the beginning of the season, and could very well take some time. I'm not saying we won't see them playing well all season, but we could be in for a few rocky months until things start clicking.

That said, given that our team will primarily be staffed by the expansion draft, the quality of players may not be up to par to win the cup in the first or second year. Villa and Lampard are not likely to play every game, given their age, and they can't carry the team by themselves anyway.
It's not just a few players though. It's going to be 25 new players, in a new team, and with a new coach. I think it's going to take some time to build the base of the team. Especially since they seem to want to play a very high line with a more possession based style. Many of these players probably have never used a system like that before, so it will take some time to implement.

And also like you said, the quality of players is not going to be great the first season in the depth department.