Nycfc On Twitter

Mansour is Deputy PM of the UAE, where homosexuality is a capital offence. Whether the facts that Mansour was not the one who implemented this policy, that his religion demands it and that he would quite conceivably be lynch-mobbed to death if he were to propose changing said law are relevant or not depends on your viewpoint.
I buy into everything you say about Mansour's personal responsibility being- shall we say - a matter of dispute. But to summarize the UAE's human rights abuses as making homosexuality illegal is leaving out a lot.
Flogging and stoning are regular criminal punishments, freedoms of association, speech, and religion are non-existant. Labor, women's and children's rights are severely curtailed. Apostasy is punishable by death. And so on. Wikipedia entry
And if you don't trust Wikipedia, just search for UAE human rights abuses. It's not the world's worst, and they are careful to treat foreign visitors well. But behind the pretty facade is a nasty place.
The comparison by someone else above of this to Phil Anschutz is preposterous.

I like the way NYCFC twitter responded to this. Yeah I see the #sarcasm, but it is still a pretty tasteless joke. Backheel responded by saying "but we want NYCFC to succeed"... by taking cheap shots every chance they get. Further proof that the media has it out for NYCFC.

This is something a deranged Cosmos fan would tweet, but it has become the norm for the media. Shows the need for supporting NYCFC-centric media... blogs, forums, podcasts, etc.
I don't see any response from NYCFC twitter's account to this. Which is probably best for all concerned.

I don't see any response from NYCFC twitter's account to this. Which is probably best for all concerned.
I meant NYCFC twitter followers, not the official NYCFC account. Sorry for the confusion. Forum regulars came out on twitter and stood up for the club. Bravo!

I understand the human rights issues in UAE. I don't support those ugly acts... I support NYCFC. There is a huge difference. I don't see why the club or its supporters have to apologize for something that is happen halfway across the globe because the owner might or might not be involved. Haters will grab on anything to pull us down.

I am tempted to call in on tomorrow's Soccer Morning show because its just a cheap shot. I liked the explanation that NYCFC deserved to be made fun of because of their public relation fails. Lame...

Reactions: mgarbowski
Exactly. Stop responding to them, don't give them page views or podcast listens. Shut them out completely. Once our fan base grows even more and the message is spread about those "media" guys who constantly go after us, they'll change their tune. They need NYCFC and their fans more than the other way around.

1000x this. Can we please not turn into Jose Mourinho, talking about the media campaign against NYCFC?

I buy into everything you say about Mansour's personal responsibility being- shall we say - a matter of dispute. But to summarize the UAE's human rights abuses as making homosexuality illegal is leaving out a lot.
Flogging and stoning are regular criminal punishments, freedoms of association, speech, and religion are non-existant. Labor, women's and children's rights are severely curtailed. Apostasy is punishable by death. And so on. Wikipedia entry
And if you don't trust Wikipedia, just search for UAE human rights abuses. It's not the world's worst, and they are careful to treat foreign visitors well. But behind the pretty facade is a nasty place.
The comparison by someone else above of this to Phil Anschutz is preposterous.

Exactly and there lies all the problems in the Middle East whether its government policy or terrorism. RELIGION. Its hard to reverse centuries of mass brainwashing. I've stated before myself that there is absolutely no evidence of Sheikh Mansour's personal views. What is he supposed to do exactly rip up government policy single handed? I know the man is a genius but...

1000x this. Can we please not turn into Jose Mourinho, talking about the media campaign against NYCFC?

Indeed there's virtually nothing more tiresome than media whining. Except for low stake poker players (or more accurately fucking idiots) and their 2 moves of doom. Media bashing is last thing I want this forum to become but still look at sites like Blue Moon. Just relentless on that subject. Can't emphasise enough that there is nothing more important than what other fans think (and I mean other fans of this club not other MLS teams)

Last edited:
Apparently it's not stadium, I am going to assume is that they get the nyc based PR team that everyone seems to want.

Mansour is Deputy PM of the UAE, where homosexuality is a capital offence. Whether the facts that Mansour was not the one who implemented this policy, that his religion demands it and that he would quite conceivably be lynch-mobbed to death if he were to propose changing said law are relevant or not depends on your viewpoint.

If you mean a capital offence as in the death penalty, that is not correct. It is punishable by jail time, the max being 14 years but it is more likely max of 5 years or deportation if you are foreign. I do not agree with the jail time to be honest but there is no death penalty.

Very tricky defining that Islam demands the death penalty or even jail time as in some Islamic countries homosexuality is not illegal Albania, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bosnia, Burkino Faso. Chad, Djibouti, Guinea, Iraq (believe it or not) Ivory Coast, Jordan Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Niger, Palestine, Tajikistan, Turkey and most of Indonesia. In fact Albania, Lebanon and Turkey have spoken about legalising it.

Anyhow this is moving away from NYCFC on twitter.