Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

Can't add a blessed thing that hasn't already been said over the past 10 pages.

I was glad to see that we finally had a lucky break go our way when Kaka hit the post in extra time and the boys moved the ball downfield and Mix iced it.

51673b41fc5d7610c9468b3ce4a17326.jpg

TUUUUUUUUUURRRNNNNN UPPPPPPPPPPP.
HOLY SHIT. I just finished the game. Had it saved on dvr. It's 2:30 am everyone is asleep and I have to be up at 7. My emotions. I silently celebrated each goal and once I saw Kaka line up for that FK, I had flashbacks from our season opener. That shit looked like it was going in and HOLY SHIT my heart stopped, it hit the post and I was trying to catch my breath again until the counter attack which lead to Villa-Poku-Mix and I fucking lost it. We need this win and what a way to win. Angelino's assist to Villa, PIRLO, Villa, Mix and POKU!!! I'm too happy to rant about useless Wingert costing us a sub so fucking early into the game. Bestest game EVER!!!!!!
19b0w0223b1u8gif.gif
You managed to stay away from knowing the end result before watching?

Can't add a blessed thing that hasn't already been said over the past 10 pages.

I was glad to see that we finally had a lucky break go our way when Kaka hit the post in extra time and the boys moved the ball downfield and Mix iced it.

51673b41fc5d7610c9468b3ce4a17326.jpg

Maybe people will now stop saying "If Kaka's free kick in Week One isn't deflected ....." Breaks can kill you in a 1 or 2 game elimination round. Over 34 games they most always even out.

No way they can sign him perm. If they had a talent like angeleno in their academy, they would have to sell overseas anyways. MLS isn't at the point where they pay big bucks for young talent like this, or at the very least give them an attractive enough offer where they can overlook overseas interest.

Yeah, that's what I feared. I mean, I don't blame MC for wanting this kid back. He's going to be really good. Damn it.

Two side notes after watching it back on TV...the field looked like crap

It sure did, but I didn't notice how bad it was until I got home and watched the replay. From my vantage point (1B sid) the sod looked ok, but I was shocked at how brown it was. You're telling me this is the best sod they could get?

Reactions: Kjbert
It sure did, but I didn't notice how bad it was until I got home and watched the replay. From my vantage point (1B sid) the sod looked ok, but I was shocked at how brown it was. You're telling me this is the best sod they could get?

Exactly. At the game it looked ok, but I'm behind the goal area. On TV it looked so dried out it was embarrassing.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Not only was Villa off by a mile, he was off by a mile from the moment Poku got the ball. I was a bit disappointed by that. But you've gotta toe the line to give yourself every advantage. Our counter was potent in the midfield and I'm sure Villa was salivating over that in the second half.

I think Villa being offsides was him just being too overexcited to score and guarantee the victory. You can tell by how devastated he was when they called the offsides, and then how happy he was when Mix scored a few minutes after.

This is why I think he's captain material. The dude gives a fuck, and he expects everyone around him to up their game. When he whines, I don't think it's because he's a diva, but because he expects more from everyone, and knows that they can be better.

And this brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why does the TV show so little of the field? This is a problem with a lot of sports. We've all got 50-inch, high def, wide screens these days, but the games are still filmed in the same way they were when all anyone had was a 19-inch, black-and-white box. Time to really recreate the stadium experience and show not just the ball, but all the people upfield who could receive it.

I bitch about this every time, not only with NYCFC games, but sports in general. The view experience should be much more rich. ESPN sometimes does it, but not enough. I think it's because there are too many dinosaurs that are still in control and want to do it the old way. Broadcasting needs fresh new blood.

I was seriously wondering if they have the same sod since March, and just keep it in a warehouse between games.

Makes you wonder. From the prep video they posted a few months back, it seems like the sod goes down a day before, or really close to game day. Sod comes in perfect condition, and green. Not sure what they hell they're doing, and I know that they're pros, but they need to make this look better.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I've been calling for Mix Lampard Pirlo and Calle in the midfield for a while now. I think that would be so deadly. Mix and Calle on the wings to provide width and defensive support. Both can make runs and are good on the ball. Pirlo to distribute.
Called for Poku up top playing under villa as well. What a great partnership with a player to distribute to them up the seam.

Called for Poku up top playing under villa as well. What a great partnership with a player to distribute to them up the seam.

We haven't discussed this enough. Poku up top, with Villa, and Pirlo feeding them, is just deadly. Poku is a damn bulldozer. He was just barreling through OC in the second half.

One criticism I have of Poku is that his passing is a little shitty. He seems to turn the ball over a lot, he did it in the first half. But, I think this will easily just improve over time.

I am still a novice when it comes to soccer. I’m learning more with each game I attend and reading the myriad of topics on this forum (thanks guys!). Nevertheless, being a big sports fan in general, I fully understand and recognize momentum shifts, and it was clearly evident when Pirlo came in. His entrance electrified the crowd, which further affected our players. It was quite palpable. Even with my limited knowledge of the game, I noticed the Pirlo effect and how it changed our strategy. We just seemed like different team. I had my best experience by far yesterday, and to think it will only get better! I love this game, but I am in love with this team!

I bitch about this every time, not only with NYCFC games, but sports in general. The view experience should be much more rich. ESPN sometimes does it, but not enough. I think it's because there are too many dinosaurs that are still in control and want to do it the old way. Broadcasting needs fresh new blood.
If anything it's gotten worse. They have more cameras and better technology and they love to use it on close-uos. Nobody wins industry plaudits showing the midfield, or midcourt hight camera view.
I don't have enough of a personal history with soccer to know if it has gotten better or worse, but I know, for example, that when I was a kid NFL games used the 50 yard line high camera much, much more than they do now. It's even frustrating during dead time. There's a quick pass 12-20 yards downfield. It's so fast you can't see where they spot the ball. The announcer doesn't say. The camera is focused on the guy who made the tackle, or the receiver,, or quarterback, or coach, or anything but showing you where the damn ball is. Finally you see it 1 second before the snap. Has not always been that way.

Reactions: Kjbert and Drainyoo
First post here but I've been following the team all year. Just had a few points I figured I'd add. A lot of them probably have been touched upon.

I didn't know know that we needed Pirlo, but the second he came on you realized he was what we needed all along. Someone to bring the ball upfield and dictate play. I don't why no one else can do it when he makes it look so damn easy.

I thought Calle looked really good today. Nice technique and actually has some speed. Him and Angelino looked good together. Also, even though that goal was into the open net, he did have to reach back with his right foot (which I believe is weak) and direct in. Exactly the type of goal you see a lot of people screw up every week. That pass could've easily went all the way across goal. Think he definitely earned more playing time. However, I think Mix gets his spot and he comes off the bench.

I love TMac. I just wish he had some physical ability to go with that talent. He's got great skill on the ball though.

Thought Mena looked good and needs to grow into the team. His communication was definitely off. I think on the 2nd goal the other 3 were going for the offside trap and he played Larin onside. You can see Iraola step up in the highlights.
Anyway, by far the best game of the season. Also best atmosphere in the Stadium. Not the largest crowd, but felt the loudest and most intense.

I've been calling for Mix Lampard Pirlo and Calle in the midfield for a while now. I think that would be so deadly. Mix and Calle on the wings to provide width and defensive support. Both can make runs and are good on the ball. Pirlo to distribute.
Hell yeah, Dan. I'm always up for a good "I told you so, you stupid fuckers" post. It's why I wake up in the morning.

I didn't know know that we needed Pirlo, but the second he came on you realized he was what we needed all along. Someone to bring the ball upfield and dictate play. I don't why no one else can do it when he makes it look so damn easy.

Others have said this, you have said this, but it can't be repeated enough, so I quote you to say it again.

Exactly. At the game it looked ok, but I'm behind the goal area. On TV it looked so dried out it was embarrassing.

Maybe it's because I've been to 7 of the 11 home matches maybe it's because I'm so intent on the play but I just don't notice it much. It's funny because it's something that gives me problems with really getting into Serie A or La Liga that after the few big rich teams at the top most of the grounds look like shit on TV but being invested in this team like I am I'm watching every pass etc. not noticing the quality of the grass or quirky baseball dimensions etc.