Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll argue it's relevant to his brace yesterday. While Villa is third in goal scoring he has significantly less minutes and overall shots taken to Kamara and Giovinco. Could definitely argue he's the most deadly finisher in the league.

A hilarious game of football, haven't had that much fun watching a game in quite some time. The mix of highly paid and skilled attackers playing against poor defences can lead to great 'ding-dong' battles like this match. Anyway, here's my quick thoughts on the match:

Angelino - this kid is the dog's bollocks. I thought he'd, initially, struggle to adapt to the physicality of real pro football but he's hit the ground running. An immense talent who is probably not far off MCFC's first XI standard at all.

Villa - just a class above in the final third and he's only going to score more goals with Pirlo and Poku seemingly hitting things off nicely last night. I do, however, see a small issue with him being captain, I assume the armband was going to be Frank's but Lampard-gate put paid to that. Villa just seems a little too whiney to be a truly great captain.

Pirlo - God.

TMAC - comfortably my favourite player on the team, they need to start stocking MLS jerseys over here so I can grab myself a McNamara 15 one!
People act like a 5-3 game in soccer is so abnormal, only happens once in a blue moon, and that the only reason it happens in MLS is because most of the DPs are attacking players, and MLS defenses are shit. Hate to break it to you, there are a ton of 5-2, 5-3 games in the top leagues in the world. Does anyone say, well that is only because the defense in said league is shitty. What happens in MLS play when the score line is 1-0 or 0-0. Do we say my goodness, the defense in MLS is so good.

It's soccer, sometimes there are breakdowns, it happens to the best players, the best teams, in the best leagues. Its soccer!

People act like a 5-3 game in soccer is so abnormal, only happens once in a blue moon, and that the only reason it happens in MLS is because most of the DPs are attacking players, and MLS defenses are shit. Hate to break it to you, there are a ton of 5-2, 5-3 games in the top leagues in the world. Does anyone say, well that is only because the defense in said league is shitty. What happens in MLS play when the score line is 1-0 or 0-0. Do we say my goodness, the defense in MLS is so good.

It's soccer, sometimes there are breakdowns, it happens to the best players, the best teams, in the best leagues. Its soccer!
People dismissing that game because of the defense all suck and are assholes. Sports are for entertainment, and my white ass was entertained.

People dismissing that game because of the defense all suck and are assholes. Sports are for entertainment, and my white ass was entertained.

Fans act like every player should play at their absolute best every game. No mistakes lol...if that happened, everything would cancel each other out and we would all be watching something else.

Reactions: Drainyoo and FCRU
People act like a 5-3 game in soccer is so abnormal...

The only other league I watch is the Prem, and it's very rare to see more than four total goals scored (the average is just under 3). 5-3 would be an eyebrow raising scoreline in most leagues, I suspect.

The only other league I watch is the Prem, and it's very rare to see more than four total goals scored (the average is just under 3). 5-3 would be an eyebrow raising scoreline in most leagues, I suspect.

I think it was eyebrow raising in ours. For comparison, there was one EPL game last year with 9 goals and two or three with 8. Also a handful more with 7.

Finally getting a chance to weigh in here and it's difficult to add anything new after 11+ pages of comments, but I think I've managed to find a few things. So, here's what I've got for post-game analysis:

Poku was amazing -- yes he did play the full 90 mins and got better as the game went on. Suck on that shit Kreis. We all know he had 3 assists, but here are some of his other stats: 55 touches (most among all non-defensive players), 87% pass accuracy on 39 passes, 8 successful dribbles (no one else had more than 2 -- that was Villa), he was dispossessed 4 times throughout the match though.

Angelino also stood out to me -- the kid is so talented and hasn't been intimidated or hesitant at all. He belongs in professional football at 18 and that is incredibly impressive. The heat map shows he spent most of the game at or beyond the halfway line in attack and Calle did a great job combining with him. They seem to have a strong understanding already and they've only played 1 game together. He had 2 shots (only other NYCFC player with more than 1 was Villa with 6). Oh and Angelino led the team in touches: 63.

As someone else pointed out, Ballouchy played a pretty solid game. In only 56 minutes he led the team in tackles (5) and interceptions (4). Not too shabby. We were leading 2-1 when he was subbed out. Ballouchy has been one of our best midfielders this season, although that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot. I don't expect to see as much of him in the last 13 matches of the season with the new midfielders we've added.

On the much-discussed topic of David Villa, I think he's been great for us particularly in the last 9 games where he's scored 10 goals. Whining/complaining/whatever you wanna call it is just his thing out on the field. He's a passionate player and his emotions show no matter what's happening on the field -- good or bad. He has always been demonstrative even at Barça and for the Spanish national team. It's just his way. Yesterday he was fantastic once again and put in a full shift. My biggest gripe is that he was offsides 3 times -- not just the most memorable one that would have been his hat trick of goals (turned out to be his hat trick of offside calls). Someone mentioned that he has been clinical in his finishing (and that may well be compared to Kamara and Giovinco), but yesterday only 2 of his 6 shots were on target. That needs to improve.

As for Pirlo... good lord, that guy was at least a step above everyone yesterday (and I include Kaká and Villa in that assessment). He just sees the game at a different level and different speed than everyone else. I never thought about it until someone mentioned it previously, but the Peyton Manning comparison is great. Being from and growing up in the Indianapolis area during Peyton's Colts days it was always so fun to watch how he read defenses and could change things on the fly. Pirlo is that way -- he can just break things down in his mind and read the game so clearly and quickly.

TL;DR - Yesterday was an absolute joy. I don't remember waking up so happy on a Monday morning since, well, probably Monday, March 16th.

Last edited:
The best part about all this is that Pirlo just stepped off a frigging plane after a two month vacation...kicked the ball around for a few days, speaks little english and comes into a 90 degree day game at the 50+ minute, on a field he's never played on before and looks sharper than anyone on the pitch. Jesus...he doesn't know any of these guys!!! What is it going to be like when he's "in form" and has some chemistry with these players!?! I just gave myself the shakes thinking about it lol.

Last edited:
I have seen plenty of high scoring games in the EPL over the years. Its not a bad thing, it is a very good thing. Every soccer league has their fair share of high scoring games and low scoring games. Again, its soccer.

Just as an FYI, here are the highest scoring games in the EPL, just in the last couple of years. Now the EPL is considered one of the best domestic leagues in the world. Does this mean that these defenses are not up to the par with the attacking talent that the EPL has?

December 2013 Manchester City 6 – 3 Arsenal Agüero 14', Negredo 39', Fernandinho 50', 88', Silva 66', Touré 90'
Walcott 31', 63', Mertesacker 90' [17]
9 22 March 2014 Cardiff City 3 – 6 Liverpool Mutch 9', 88', Campbell 25'
Suárez 16', 60', 90', Škrtel 41', 54', Sturridge 75' [18]
9 30 August 2014 Everton 3 – 6 Chelsea

19 May 2013 West Bromwich Albion 5 – 5 Manchester United

29 December 2012 Arsenal 7 – 3 Newcastle United

This just gives me chills. You have to have a special gift for the game to know stuff like this. Kaka isn't even on the ball yet, but Pirlo can already sense where he's going to kick it. This is Messi level type stuff. They see and sense the game on a level that most people can't comprehend, including high quality pros.

You have great atheletes, and above them you have a select few like Messi, Pirlo, Jordan, Manning and Federer.