Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

One player who has disappointed me so far is Iraola. I know he is a quality footballer but has been caught out of position defensively and hasn't offered that much in an attacking sense. He's been way overshadowed by Angelino.

Obviously he's only been here a few weeks and he still needs time to adapt, but I was hoping he could make more of an instant impact.

I will have to agree with you. I think Angelino has definitely overshadowed him. I sit behind the goal and there were too many times that Iraola didn't get back and kind of hung Mena out to dry. Especially being thrust into the game with little prep, he should have supported him more. Angelino is a tad wild but he gets back on defense, if Iraola wants to push up that far, he needs to get back and help...otherwise he needs to chill. It also doesn't help that AJ sometimes thinks he's an attacking mid. That all being said...that kind of play gets exposed playing a fast paced style. The counter will kill us. But I think it will work itself out as we go more posession based with Pirlo.

MOTM for me is Villa, But if Pirlo didn't come on then i'm not sure we would have won. With his help Poku shined and the team looked really good. Mena was not amazing but I would take him over Wingert and Hernandez. I also liked how Angelino played. Great Match!

Reactions: Drainyoo
Some initial reactions:

- It was amazing how much space opened up for Poku and, to a lesser extent, Jacobson, once Pirlo came on. Night and day in the midfield.

- Iraola looked good going forward (e.g., the second goal), but we are vulnerable behind him. That third goal looked a lot like the fourth goal that Toronto scored two weeks ago. Both times someone got down the left and they were even similar in that, I think, both times Facey failed to really track the runner (though he has really improved our defense since he started back against Houston on 5/30 so don't read this as a overall criticism of him). I think Jacobson needs to rotate over behind Iraola when he goes forward.

- Calle looked really good, particularly in the second half. Perhaps it was having Angelino back there or perhaps he is in better shape than he was when he played early in the season, but he was very dynamic. Midfield is going to get crowded, but he looked like a real contributor.

- Love Mix being able to run around the midfield without having to come back to get the ball.

- Mena was a bit all over the place, some good, some pretty bad. He looked very tentative on the balls, particularly in the first half. I bet we see Hernandez back in next week. That said, though, I think Mena will be a good addition to the team over the long haul. Pretty tough to come off the bench like that.

- Angelino is just fun. It will probably only be half a season, but he awesome to watch.

Did anyone else notice that we looked better in the second half? I can't quite put my finger on what changed . . . Hmm.

Anyway, side note, I predict Kreis wins coach of the year for the second half we are about to have.

Reactions: Kjbert and Drainyoo
Just wanted to add my thoughts regarding Mena. Firstly the style we play means are CBs are often exposed as they do not get support from the midfield, combined with the fact we also play attacking fullbacks, this means compared to other teams they have a lot more pressure to deal with, which inevitably leads to more mistakes across 90mins as they are dealing with more than most CBs usually have to.

But anyway, more so than any other part of the field the defense has to work as a unit, to hold the line and know who covers where, whether their team mate can manage his situation, where depending on your team mates abilities are the weak spots needing to be covered etc and this is before we take into account the opposition. It is exceptionally hard to just slot into a defense unit when you've just arrived, more so when your defensive unit doesn't get midfield anchors providing a shield.

Mena has had a week with us, his upsides are obvious and any mistakes he made can be accounted for lack of experience within this team. Those already asking for his head clearly play too much Fifa and don't understand how real football works.

Pirlo looks for Poku.... He understands his attacking skill..... For the love of anything that is holy..... If Ned GRABAVOY is started in front of Poku next week to basically just take up space on the field I'm gonna lose it..... Anyone ever notice when we look good and succeed and play well it's never any of the old RSL players??!!! #ComonKreis
Its no secret, grabavoy, wingert, lord kwame, are horrendous. The sooner we stop mentioning their names around these parts, the sooner we all get better as well, not just the team itself.

One observation: At the end of his halftime warmup, Andrea Pirlo spent a few minutes playing 20-yard chipped, weighted passes. Within minutes of entering the game, Pirlo played maybe five very similar passes through Orlando's back line to find runners.

I joked with my brother at halftime that Pirlo spent the first half watching and figuring out everything Orlando does, but seriously, I really think he did. Despite barely having practiced intensely with any teammate aside from some work with Villa, Pirlo still saw everything that was going to happen a few seconds before it did.

It was always nice to watch him on TV--it's an absolute joy to watch him in person.

Just got back from the game. That was fun.

My thoughts are very similar to what has already been expressed in here.

Villa is MOTM, and he's our leader and captain. Imagine where we would be right now without him? Those saying in the beginning that he shouldn't be our captain were dead wrong.

Pirlo, as expected, completely changed the team when he came on. It was just amazing watching him. He is above and beyond all MLS players. He made Mix and Poku so so so much better. It was nuts. And the offense just turned on with him. His vision and precision is on another level. I also noticed that he's being a leader out there. I saw him directing Angelino and Facey and where they need to position themselves on plays. He was also giving guidance to Saunders right before an OC set piece. His affect on the team goes beyond his performance.

The back line was shit, but I think it more has to do with them having to play together more and needing to sync up. Facey, Iraola, Mena and Angelino can be a solid defense.

Never start Wingert again. Another stupid Kreis decision.

And lastly, if you think we won because of Kreis, then you need to get off the fucking sauce and learn a thing or two about this game.

Saunders - Bad decision maker. Bad distributor. But good shot stopper. He is what he is at this point. Put it this way - he's kept us in more games than he's played us out of. Could we upgrade this spot? Yes. But certainly a guy that can keep you in a game.

Wingert - hurt his hamstring. I don't expect to see him much more this year. Back up LB and back up LCB.

Mena - The skill, distribution and SPEED is there. But he got abused on three goals. All three goals were because of him. I rate him as a 3.5 today. He was the worst player on the field for us. That being said, he also had some really nice moments on the ball and some solid decision making and distribution. Hopefully it's just a weird CB thing when you need to get used to whom you are paired with.

Facey - Played kind of eh today. Rated him as a 5.5.

Angelino - Played well getting up the field and I thought he played really well defensively. Game changed for him once Pirlo joined the party. Rated him as a 7.5.

Iraola - I agree in the comments stating he has been dissapointing. He's been mediocre defensively but solid in possession. Rated him as a 6.

Poku - thought he played mediocre in the first half. Looked tired in the second half but once Pirlo came on, something ignited. I will rate him a 7, mostly based off of his possession and second half play, but he was below average defensively. Interesting placement with him tactically.

McNamara - Great work rate, poor defensively. I rated him as a 6.

Ballouchy - I like Ballouchy. Good work rate defensively, but that was about it. Rated him as a 5.5.

Jacobsen - Again, I like Jacobsen. Played very well defensively and made smart, strong runs up the field. When Pirlo came on, he played in front of Pirlo. he and Pirlo will need to figure out how to play with each other (more like AJ will need to figure out how to play with Pirlo). I rated him as a 7.

Calle - Probably his best game in a blue kit. Thought he was strong on the ball, with good touch and good decision making. Got involved defensively to give Angelino defensive cover. I rated him as a 7.5. He made smart runs and knew where he needed to be on the field.

Villa - Another solid game from our Captain. The first goal in particular was a scorer's goal. Great turn and finish. I rated him as an 8 for his workrate, defensive cover and finishing. Just a different level. I'm hoping he plays sparingly on Wednesday evening.

Mix - Game changed when he came on as well. Meet your new RM I guess. I rated him as an 8 in limited minutes. He just "gets" Angelino and Pirlo offensively. Just a different player surrounded by class.

Pirlo - The entire team changed their gameplan when he came on. I rated him only as a 7 because he was poor defensively, but strong otherwise. Surprising workrate (offensively). Played very deep as a 6. Team played a 4-1-3-1-1 when Pirlo came on. I think we will continue to struggle defensively unless we play 4-2-3-1 but who cares if we can outscore our opponents.

I joked with my brother at halftime that Pirlo spent the first half watching and figuring out everything Orlando does, but seriously, I really think he did.

Top players always do this. Messi and Rooney have spoken about how they take the first 5 minutes to watch the opponents.

Just got home from the match. Pirlo gave a master class. Perfect touch, dropping long bombs that fell right at runners' feet perfectly on target and onside, time after time. And his ball handling, nobody could touch him or get in his way.

Awe inspiring.

For the game as a whole, MOTM is Villa.

However, when Pirlo came on, we looked like a different team, so he was the game changer. He is unbelievably smooth
This is just not true. Villa was garbage the first half. There is no way he should be MOTM over Pirlo. Pirlo changed the team. Villa has never done anything other than whine and occasionally poke one through. He's been less than amazing. I have personally watched him miss at least 5 one on ones. Right in front of my season ticket location. It's been pretty bad, honestly. Up until now, we had no place for a luxe attacker.

I think that's changed with the addition of Pirlo. If we could dish Lampard and get a real 3rd dp, we'd be scary as hell.

Reactions: northernburbs
Pirlo still saw everything that was going to happen a few seconds before it did.
My thought from the moment he was rumored to join us was that Pirlo's vision, experience, and total understanding of the game are the most valuable assets he brings to our team. With, of course, his ball skills being an extremely close second.

This is just not true. Villa was garbage the first half. There is no way he should be MOTM over Pirlo. Pirlo changed the team. Villa has never done anything other than whine and occasionally poke one through. He's been less than amazing. I have personally watched him miss at least 5 one on ones. Right in front of my season ticket location. It's been pretty bad, honestly. Up until now, we had no place for a luxe attacker.

I think that's changed with the addition of Pirlo. If we could dish Lampard and get a real 3rd dp, we'd be scary as hell.

Idk about all that lol, but I will say Villa may be the happiest of all with Pirlo here. Not for the assists, but because teams won't be able to double mark him and everyone will now have to be accounted for.

Prepare yourselves lads. A wall of text is coming.

Im legally required to tell you all I went thru about 5 pairs of good pants thru the course of the game due to excessive jizzing of my trousers.

Anyway moving on.

Wingert: Shit. Dude is useless, made of glass, should never of started. Waste of a Substitution. Should be cut as soon as possible.

Mena: Ups and downs. Has potential and I firmly believe an improvement on that spot. Better than hernandez? Will see.

NOTE: He has been with us for literally a week people. Some morons on the chat wanted his head. Probably the same people who wanted to send Facey back to Manchester. Give it time. I doubt Kreis even planned to play him today.

Angelino: Boy is a stud and a half. He better be getting laid every night at least twice. If not I will be making some calls.

Iraola: Pleasure to have on the team. Solid guy.

Saunders: Another overall great shift. His distribution is utter shit and there was one goal he should have saved. Still hes Saunders...

Facey: Solid game again. He will improve, and working with Mena for the first time definitely lead to some issues. Im very optimistic though.

Jacobson: Had a decent night. Went forward a bit too much for my liking. I honestly feel though some are overrating him. I dont feel like we need him anymore especially as the back line begins to gel better.

Ballouchy: Shit. Why does he even start? Such a waste of a starting position. Im fine with him being a sub and to provide some depth (though we dont really need it at midfield) but I dont want to see him starting anymore.

Calle: Solid. I like him going forward. Would love to sign him at the end of the season. Glad he made that goal and wasnt subbed off as some people were asking for in the chat. He just got off an injury and hasnt been playing many minutes with the team and he still performs.

McNamara: First half was utter shit. Some terrible touches. He was all over the place and very sloppy. He works like an absolute sweaty Irish dog though. With the second half subs he began to shine and get his shit together. Great goal and he has potential.

Villa: Love this guy always will. He was with us since the beginning and is working his ass off for us. He moved with a purpose on the field and he is 100% committed to this team. The criticism of him ive seen is bullshit. He has done marvelous this half season despite missing many key games and having shit service and support. Things will only get better from here on out. I was skeptical about him being alone up front but after today's performance I am reconsidering.

Pirlo: Absolute god. I want to have this man's children...not really...but really. Game completely changed once he came on. The calmness behind the ball is amazing. His passes unreal. Idiots said he was too old and we didnt need a midfielder. They were wrong. This guy will win us games and put asses in the seats. Its a win win for all involved parties. All the players around him will improve and Mix has satisfied his birthday wish since his first Norwegian birthday party (sail boat themed)

Mix: What a beauty. He is another work horse and the midfield once again becomes a machine once he steps foot on the pitch. I cant wait to see the things he does with Pirlo now on the roster. We will have the strongest Midfield in the league.

Poku: The fucking man. I love him. 3 assists. He is a great solid player and Kreis if you are reading this HE IS A FUCKING STARTER YOU SCHMUCK. Hes has more the most assists in our whole team and he has had shit in terms of minutes played. He is a provider and a OFFENSIVE MINDED PLAYER. I will virtually bitch slap the next idiot who says he is a CDM "because of his build." He isnt a defensive minded player he has always played as a attacking mid or a striker in his career. Kreis tried playing him as a CDM earlier in the season and guess what? It sucked. He played a full 90 minutes JUST FINE. He has the speed and the physique to be a star with the help of Pirlo and company. I swear to god if he is benched in favor of Grabavoy next week...

To the uniformed idiots saying Kreis is some genius and won us this match..shut up. Putting Wingert on to start, out of position and made of glass was a waste of a good substitution. Ballouchy starting also useless.

He probably would off subbed of Poku if he had the chance. Thank god he didnt. Thank god Ballouchy got a yellow so he had to be subbed off and thank god grabavoy is suspended so I dont have to see that ratchet ass hair blowing in the wind.

Kreis was forced to do things everyone on this forum has been saying to do for a long time (like keep poku on for a full game) because of circumstance..those circumstances helped us win and prevent Kreis from fucking it up.

He always looks useless and cant even break a smile when Poku is getting 3 assists.

Anyway its three points and fat frank and nowhere in sight and I dont really care. Lets kick some Poutine eating ass next week...CMON YOU BOYS IN BLUE!
Good post. I agree with all except the obsequious praise for villa. He played us out of several good chances in the first half. He doesn't have big enough balls to do that with Pirlo on the field.

Also, as o said in chat, Jacobsen is unnecessary. He's not good in any facet. He's not even good protecting the back line. If you can't see that, the you aren't paying attention. He's awful. Mena stepped at the wrong time a time or two. But he was a massive improvement over Wingert. It wasn't close.

We have a team now.

I fully expect FF to show up and fuck up chemistry as he tries to claim glory for his fat head. I really wish that unneeded shitbird would disappear. We have a squad now. We don't need him. And we damn sure don't need his glory seeking ways of play.

Last edited:
Good post. I agree with all except the obsequious praise for villa. He played us out of several good chances in the first half. He doesn't have big enough balls to do that with Pirlo on the field.

Also, as o said in chat, Jacobsen is unnecessary. He's not good in any facet. He's not even good protecting the back line. If you can't see that, the you aren't paying attention. He's awful. Mena stepped at the wrong time a time or two. But he was a massive improvement over Wingert. It wasn't close.

We have a team now.

I fully expect FF to show up and fuck up chemistry as he tries to claim glory for his fat head. I really wish that I needed shitbird would disappear. We have a squad now. We don't need him. And we damn sure don't need his glory seeking ways of play.

I think you are being a little too harsh on Lampard, he's still a class player.