Nycfc V Montreal Motm & Post-game

What is surprising to me is that the media hasn't called Kreis out on this. Like Lalas and Wahl should be bringing attention to this and they're not. Might have to call them out on Twitter.

I noticed that too.If this was Yankees coverage , the coach would be R.I.P'ed in the paper ! Maybe others don't recognize it as easily as us or they don't want to be the first to bring light to the situation ? Usually it takes small time writer to take a chance with the story and others hop on once they know they wont catch any backlash lol

What is surprising to me is that the media hasn't called Kreis out on this. Like Lalas and Wahl should be bringing attention to this and they're not. Might have to call them out on Twitter.
Lalas had a pregame tweet saying something to the effect of "one heckuva bench for NYCFC". Probably as close as you'll get to criticism from him. I replied and also tagged @ericwynalda. He's our best bet to take up the mantle. Damnit. We're desperate. Someone needs to ask questions.

Lalas had a pregame tweet saying something to the effect of "one heckuva bench for NYCFC". Probably as close as you'll get to criticism from him. I replied and also tagged @ericwynalda. He's our best bet to take up the mantle. Damnit. We're desperate. Someone needs to ask questions.

I commented on the tweet. If he sees enough of them, he might speak about it.

Reactions: Narrowback gal
Just watched the game, didn't want to know the score so stayed away. Saw lineup though so was pissed off all day. Kreis is a taint.

Saunders is regressing to the mean.

I just don't know what to say about Jacobson, grabavoy mix and poku.

I'm physically sickened. Huge game, just flushed away.

Villa, Lampard , Pirlo and Diskerud are going to play together?
They did advertise them playing together.
I would want my money back after this game.
I guess still plenty of games left to win to get into the playoffs so they are not really worried.

As much as we all hate Ned, the dispassionate robots at Whoscored? awarded Grabavoy a 6.5 rating. By comparison, our highest rated player was a three-way tie with Villa, Angelino and TMac all rated 7.4 (rewatch the highlight of the goal the three of them put together). Our lowest-rated player was Calle with a 5.7, next lowest was Saunders at 5.9.

But Grabavoy, a 6.5? Here are his match stats:

• 23 passes with 78% passing accuracy (team as a whole was 82% accurate)
  • 2 aerials won
  • 37 touches
  • 3 tackles
That's the sum total of his quantifiable contribution. All other categories are marked zero.
952caf920e62f5b8d808c46fd2fd1d62.jpg

Instead of ranting on here , take it to social media with a hashtag that will grab NYCFC front office attention and Kreis attention. Thats the great thing about social media. We are the voice of the "city" so speak up ! #BenchGrabavoy ? lol

I like the idea. Potential hashtags: #BenchGrabavoy #NoMoreNed #JesusKreis @

I don't understand Wynalda's reply.

As much as we all hate Ned, the dispassionate robots at Whoscored? awarded Grabavoy a 6.5 rating. By comparison, our highest rated player was a three-way tie with Villa, Angelino and TMac all rated 7.4 (rewatch the highlight of the goal the three of them put together). Our lowest-rated player was Calle with a 5.7, next lowest was Saunders at 5.9.

But Grabavoy, a 6.5? Here are his match stats:

• 23 passes with 78% passing accuracy (team as a whole was 82% accurate)
  • 2 aerials won
  • 37 touches
  • 3 tackles
That's the sum total of his quantifiable contribution. All other categories are marked zero.
952caf920e62f5b8d808c46fd2fd1d62.jpg
Lol completely opposite of our ratings.

The Soccer Gods are not pleased with Jason Kreis. Only sacrificing the beard of Andrea Pirlo, the hair of Mix Diskerud, and the blood of Ned Grabavoy will lead NYCFC to the playoffs.

Reactions: JayH
Can I find things to say that haven't been covered? Or at least slightly different spins?

Negatives
  • If Villa were as good at staying onside as Piatti, we'd have tied.
  • It was damn hot.
  • We're winless since Lampard showed up.
  • Final count: he first played 373 days after he was introduced.
  • Getting a bad PK called against us seemed insignificant compared to how our own coach screwed us.
  • Angelino's amazing, but can we afford to have a back line player who focuses so much on offense when the rest of our back line gets beat so much?
  • Iraola has shown nothing since his arrival.
  • Our best looking line-up all season played 35 minutes last week, and 30% of it was on the bench today.
  • None of that 30% was named Jacobson.
  • I was in the bathroom when T-Mac scored.
Positives
  • My seat is in the shade.
  • When Mena is not running from behind, he's pretty good at standing his man up and taking the ball away.
  • I got to meet Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan and his lovely wife.
  • I'm not so caught up in this that I look at photos of kids having fun meeting some of their heroes that I get angry because their dad played for our rival.

Last edited:
That said, before anyone accuses me of jumping on the anti-"Hey Baby" bandwagon, may I be the first person to point out that "Come On You Boys In Blue" is now being over-used far, far more than Hey Baby ever was. We've got a lot of work to do, folks - on and off the field.

not to mention that "new york is blue and white" is a bit silly when both teams are wearing blue and white

I feel physically sickened after what happened today. I should be checked into New York Presbyterian. Everything terrible that could have happened today did (except for an injury, though one to Ned Grabavoy would be nice). The highlight of the day was the I Love Lamp mini-tifo. I write my response in order of terribleness from least to most. And it honestly may be out of order, like I said, physically sick.

The Angelino-Villa-Angelino-TMac combo for the 2nd goal was one of the most beautiful plays we've put together. On the overhead replay it looks even more spectacular.

It was good to see Lampard finally on the field for NYCFC. He was rusty but with time he will be able to mesh with Pirlo, Villa, Mix, Poku & Co. He had brief moments of brilliance today.

The applause to success ratio of Pirlo's corner kicks were a bit off. Too much applause to for little success. But yeah, he's a living legend, he's going to get the applause.

Tim Cahill was in the NYCFC locker room taking photos of himself and his kids with Pirlo and Lampard. I'm sorry, but I don't think Manchester City lets ex-Manchester United players in their locker room to take pictures with Hart, Aguero, and Yaya. Nobody in their right mind should allow an ex-Red Bull to infiltrate the NYCFC locker room.

I do not think our CBs selections have played more than 3 games together. Wingert-Facey, Facey-Hernandez, Facey-Hernandez, Menu-Hernandez, Menu-Facey. Yes, Menu-Facey didn't look too good versus Orlando, but against a speed team like Montreal, you cannot put Hernandez in that role. Especially when Jacobson came off the field for Lampard, Montreal had a lot of counters that got very dangerous.

Saunders made mistakes, which in part was due to the lack of awareness/timing/togetherness of the CBs. The first goal was absolutely Saunders fault. Commit. Even if the ball ends up in the goal, commit. Going to both plays half the time leads to nothing all the time.

There may be too many voices in the ear of Jason Kreis (I'll get to him later). This is a team for stars to be on the field. In the MLSsoccer.com article, Kreis said his training staff thought Lampard should only play 20 minutes. It then said they negotiated to have him play 25 minutes. CFG wants stars to be on the field. I could care less if we have 1 or 3 DPs on the field. I just want a team that wins. CFG, Claudio Reyna, Training Staff, and least on the totem poll, the fans. We wouldn't be complaining if Lampard didn't play if we would have won today.

That Piatti PK call was bullshit. Saunders was in the process of gaining possession and it looks as if Piatti kicked Saunders before Saunders half went and "accidentally" grabbed Piatti who dove. I hope to see this overturned on Instant Replay. Simon Borg can't change the outcome of games, but the refereeing of this match was all over the place and absolutely terrible.

I like to also call attention to the Oduro penalty. He was "injured" and fell to the ground. The training staff came on and we went to the non-bench sideline. He walks back onto the field, the ref didn't seem to let him back on, and immediately charges and fouls Pirlo. I don't see how this isn't a yellow card. Iraola pulled the same bullshit a few weeks ago when he was sent to the sidelines and then came on when the ball was going towards him.

Pending any tactical changes to match up better against an opponent, our best formation seems to clearly be a 4-2-3-1. Angelino and Iraola are clear at the wings. Menu and Facey appear to be the right CBs. Pirlo and Jacobson work well together as the 2. Villa is is the 1 up top. The 3 is the difficult part. You have many options here: Lampard, Mix, Poku, TMac, Calle, even Mullins, Khiry (if we want to keep Villa on the field). However, Grabavoy is not a net positive to this team. We are not running the RSL system in New York City. We are running the CFG system in New York City. Jason Kreis's choice of Grabavoy over Mix Diskerud or Kwadwo Poku is an absolutely disgrace to this club, its fans and the city it represents.

I do not trust that Jason Kreis can lead NYCFC to an MLS Cup victory. And if he can't do that, there's no point in having him be the coach of this team.

As Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan said, I do not think Jason Kreis can handle the pressure to perform consistently in New York. I don't care that it's only been a year, or that new/star players are only on the squad now. Every MLSsoccer.com reporter picked us to win this game. I don't think this was an upset for Montreal. This was just a let down at the hands of Jason Kreis and what he put on the field.

As I said in the pregame thread, Mix and Poku seemed visibly upset that they weren't starting. If there isn't a players only meeting at some point soon, there is a problem with the club. Though, Ned Grabavoy would be a rat and tell Kreis everything. I'm full #KreisOut #NoMoreNed. Yes, we will win more games this season, but I don't think that it will be at the genius of Kreis.

As for the playoffs, I'm not putting any hope in that anymore. I think we're too far out with not enough time and not in the right mindset. If we do great, I will be happy. But it's not working now, maybe 2016. CFG invested a shitload in this club. Villa-Pirlo-Lampard ends after 2016, if we don't win an MLS Cup or Supporters Shield, this would have been a complete failure...

I demand a team that wins games, not just sells jerseys.

For the sake of my health, I'm going to try and not want/read too many highlights, reports, videos, etc. etc. of this match. And if we lose or even really tie the Red Bulls next week, it's going to be long time until March 2016 for the next campaign, hopefully under a different coach and system.

Very well put!!

I think he needs to play 4-3-2-1 every game from now on. We will create chances but we need to make stops in the back.

Iraola- Mena - Facey - Angelino
Mix - Pirlo - Calle
Poku - Mcnamara (Lampard)
Villa

Massive Understatement of the Match:

"We need to work on defense. We took six goals in a couple of matches. That's the main thing we need to work on for sure." - Andrea Pirlo

I just don't understand how the league as a whole is so bad at this, though if we can just fix ourselves up that be the best.