NYCFC v Montreal - Postmatch

Caught the second half.

Was having flashbacks to last season, when we'd dominate possession but give up a goal more than we scored on sloppy turnovers or random counters. There was a missed layoff by #49 (who I assume is Ivanov?) to Jacobsen late in the game that was a perfect example.

First time I've gotten to see Matarrita, who looked strong. Pirlo had a beautiful right to left cross that showed he's ready to go. I still get excited every time Poku takes his first touch and charges forward.

The onion isn't too noticeable in action, at least not on a livestream on an ipad.

This pretty much sums up Villa's outing today

tumblr_m7dpsyKjtX1rnsnbco1_500.jpg

People on twitter still defending AJ. What roster spot does he have when we have tmac, lampard, pirlo, mix, lopez, poku, and now bravo in the central midfield?

For me Matarrita has to be permanently part of the first XI on the left side. Didn't see enough of Diego Martinez to decide if he's a starter on this team (didn't see the OKC match where he started). At RB I'd go for RJ over Iraola. He just doesn't have enough speed/stamina to get forward and get back on defense. At CB I've been pleasantly surprised with White and I think Brillant has been good as well. Hernandez shouldn't see the field when Mena gets healthy. Looking forward to seeing Bravo soon.

I thought the defense overall was pretty good but we were lucky not to allow a goal at the very end of the game as well as during the last 7-10 minutes of the 1st half when Montreal forced 3 or 4 saves from Johansen. Plenty of time for the defense to gel and get better. I expect the defense to get better as the season progresses and the starters get more reps together.

Overall, a very encouraging match -- could have easily been 4-1.

Surprised to see the usual mix hate. He covered on defense and was involved in the box three times. Had the most chances of anyone. Hit some nice passes in midfield too.

He's being judged relative to expectations. I'd say Mix was better than White out there today, but White was expected to just be a warm body, and Mix was expected to lead the team. Both played decent, which is great in White's case, and underwhelming in Mix's case.

Overall I think the team look very good tonight. I hope Johansen is our starting GK. I love the way he plays the ball with this feet, he is very confident, his big frame is a big deterrent to the other team and he showed some great composure and reflexes tonight.

I loved the movement with and without the ball tonight. I hope this is a sign of the team having a full off season together and just having better training sessions. Really like what I saw form Mattirata. This kid looks really good so far, very excited about him. Brillant played very well. White even performed well. So far the backline has been revamped and so far we can see HUGE improvements from the scrubs of last year. This alone has me very excited!

Shelton needs to improve his in the box skills. He is young, he has talent but he needs to get going. His finishing is awful, and for a forward that is not something you want to be known as. Overall, I am very very very pleased. The chemistry with Pirlo and the rest of the midfield is greatly improved.

Reactions: Ulrich and Paul
What do you think of the stradegy of constantly playing the ball from the back instead of the goalie kicking it up field? Seemed to work but was shaky at times.

Reactions: NickA
Surprised to see the usual mix hate. He covered on defense and was involved in the box three times. Had the most chances of anyone. Hit some nice passes in midfield too.

I agree and not only for Mix, for some other players too. This is my perspective: There were some good plays, some near goals and we were many times closer to scoring but overall this team is kind of new. Although Many of the original players are still part of the team there has been a big change - A new manager with a new philosophy and not much work history in his resume aside from long glorious days as a footballer.

Some of my concern are the same. Not a coherent midfield and I must say this; that Mr. Pirlo sometimes seemed indolent, like he's taking a stroll the Piazza San Marco with some adoring fans. As for Mr. Lampard, I am expecting that this season, he justify his salary and the long absence from last year. Then maybe I will totally forgive and forget;). I was totally taken with Johansen, he was a capable keeper and time will only tell in the near future, how the coming season will be better than 2015. Lets all be positive.:)

Just a thought, it's preseason and I understand that is why Mullins is getting a lot of extra minutes. But will this trend continue into the regular season? I mean we have Spain's all time leading goal scorer so it makes a lot of sense why Mullins occupies the bench often. But just from Mullins' brief time in games last semester and his pre-season performance I think he has earn starting XI minutes. So how would we get both Villa and Mullins in the game? Can villa play the wing? PV doesn't seem to think so. Can Mullins play the wing? Or does Mullins continue ride the bench?

Missed the game, so came here to get some idea what happened, and there is close to zero consensus. What use is that, people?

Well, you all seem to hate Jacobson, so there's that.
Mix is good bad. Iraola is fine terrible. White should start and never play. Shelton needs to learn to finish which is minor major.
But damn, AJ was bad I take it.