NYCFC v Montreal - Postmatch

I thought our backline was great tonight. Drew a lot of offsides calls so they were in synch but fell off in the second after a lot of subs.
I don't mind Pirlo as CDM at all if that lets us get Mix Lampard in there

Missed the game, so came here to get some idea what happened, and there is close to zero consensus. What use is that, people?

Well, you all seem to hate Jacobson, so there's that.
Mix is good bad. Iraola is fine terrible. White should start and never play. Shelton needs to learn to finish which is minor major.
But damn, AJ was bad I take it.
I thought Mix was great. He had a great work rate and his ball control is superb. Iraola was fine. Didn't have an issue there. White was good and didn't make any mistakes. I think the backline did a great job finding our midfielders and pushing the ball forward. Shelton was a 180 from last year. Took on defenders and was very physical and took some shots which you wouldn't have seen him take last year. But yeah the majority of the guys had an issue with finishing or tried to do too much before taking a shot and having that window close on then.

Last edited:
What do you think of the stradegy of constantly playing the ball from the back instead of the goalie kicking it up field? Seemed to work but was shaky at times.
I love that strategy if the defense is playing off of you. Keeping possession is very important and you have to do it whenever you have the opportunity. I loved the way Johannsen came off the box as another option to pass.

Missed the game, so came here to get some idea what happened, and there is close to zero consensus. What use is that, people?

Well, you all seem to hate Jacobson, so there's that.
Mix is good bad. Iraola is fine terrible. White should start and never play. Shelton needs to learn to finish which is minor major.
But damn, AJ was bad I take it.
This post somes up this thread perfectly. Some of you are way too harsh and some harp praise at players who don't really deserve it.

Mix had a good game and got into good positions in the box. White played a much better game than I think a lot of us thought he could. He made one glaring mistake and that was on the last play of the game. Other than that he worked hard and was pretty good 1v1. Iraola was fine and had a few good moments, especially the cross into the box for mix. Shelton needs to learn to finish which is something we can all agree on. Villa stop running 2 miles in front of the defenders! Someone get Mullins in the staring 11.

Last edited:
Saunders
Iraola, Mena, Brilliant, Matarrita
Lopez, Pirlo, Mix
Lampard, Poku
Villa

Thats my team when healthy. I emphasize that we need a solid midfielder who can defend next to Pirlo or else we are going nowhere.

Reactions: SayWhat44
I liked how aggressive we were and controlled most of the game.
  • Villa and Pirlo have built chemistry which is amazing. They'll be a force.
  • TT on wing was a great move, he played great.
  • Mullins and Shelton played good and took shots that last year they didn't.
  • Mix is disappointing,he should be the top of the non-dp's and he is pretty much always over shadowed.
  • Iraola and Brilliant often misplayed balls and often gave me flashbacks to last seasons TERRIBLE backline.
  • White played good but had the big mistake in stoppage time which should've counted as a goal.
Jane, you ignorant slut.

Reactions: Ulrich and LionNYC
Surprised to see the usual mix hate. He covered on defense and was involved in the box three times. Had the most chances of anyone. Hit some nice passes in midfield too.
Why surprised? Haven't you been on here enough to expect it from some folk? What the agenda could be, I don't know. But it's not objectively valuing contributions to our team. Beyond that, who knows. I thought Mix was outstanding. Same chances two weeks from now, even though they were difficult, and he's got a couple of goals. Some of his passing and vision tonight was of the very highest caliber. Guess if you run by people and let ball trickle over the end line or fall at the edge of the box, you seen doing it right. Some people, man.

It's crazy to me how many people here cut/praise players after a single preseason game. Did you learn nothing from our preseason last year??
Yeah. AJ is shit. Held up, I think. By I knew he was shit before we got him. Send hum back to ride the pine in Norway. He's awful.

Learned Saunders wasn't very good. That's held up, too. Everyone else I thought was a bag of ass for the money is now gone. I'm doing pretty well I think. I'm going to redouble my efforts this year.

I don't understand what everyone wants from Mix. He did exactly what he was supposed to do better tonight than in a while. The guy was playing the ball in the box and would then bust his ass back down to the back line to help defend. He had a H/H work rate and that's what we want in that position. If you didn't notice the difference between the way Mix played compared to AJ in that spot, then I don't know what else to tell you. It was so nice to not have to wonder where the hell the midfield help was all game with Mix in there.

First half:
-I thought we dominated them for the first 40 and should have scored 2/3, in the last 5mins the came back into it with some corners.
-Pirlo's passes were incredible, hes gonna get a ton of assists this season
-Some more shooting practise for Shelton, well actually some more shooting practise for everyone would help!
-Taylor looked good again, surely he has to be one of our starting wingers
-Defence looked very solid

Second half:
-Again i thought we were the better team although not as dominant as the first half
-Thought lopez looked really good when he came on
-Surely Mullins deserves a chance to start

Overall:
We play the offside trap well
We could have quite easily scored 4 or 5, they could have scored 1 or 2 aswell.
Really impressed with the team, especially the first 40mins
Perhaps adding another winger to the squad may be needed as cover incase of injuries

Reactions: Ulrich and gbservis
I don't understand what everyone wants from Mix. He did exactly what he was supposed to do better tonight than in a while. The guy was playing the ball in the box and would then bust his ass back down to the back line to help defend. He had a H/H work rate and that's what we want in that position. If you didn't notice the difference between the way Mix played compared to AJ in that spot, then I don't know what else to tell you. It was so nice to not have to wonder where the hell the midfield help was all game with Mix in there.
He's overated. Messi is better than him. He's not putting up Messi numbers. Trade Mix.

With the dearth of talent we've got up front, it's going to take a real manager to keep everyone happy. Do you start Pirlo and Lampard 2 of every 3 games, and keep them "fresh"? Mullins has been finding net well, but I'm not sure he can provide what we'll need on the wings if last night's tactic was what we should expect in a few weeks.

I really appreciate the recap everyone, and I mean that in a good way :) had plans last night so I couldn't watch the stream. Based on what I can gather, im very excited about some of our young, fringe players making an impact such as Mullins, Lopez, White, and Johansen. I believe all of them can at least be impact players off the bench and be capable starters when PV rotates them in.

I think we can all agree that the depth of this team has greatly improved, the team has bought into PV's system, and the overall team leadership and chemistry has looked better. All these variances in opinion from everyone can only be a good thing and is a testament to our depth this year.

Personally, I'm rooting for Lopez to force himself into the starting XI and for Mullins to be our breakout star of the year. Love Mattarita's game, he's going to be huge for us this season.

Reactions: Jock and Goodfella
The only way some of you will be happy with Mix is if he is scoring a brace of game. Absolutely ridiculous. He was passing phenomenally, was making all the right runs, and was tracking back on defense. Some of you play too much FIFA if you think he was below average tonight.

The combination of the additions of Matarrita and Brillant with the greatly improved chemistry of Pirlo and Villa makes us 12+ points better at least IMO. They were all great tonight.

#53 the trialist. He didn't look great but he had one sequence late in the game where he dribbled through like 4 guys in a tight space and got tackled from behind. It was filthy. That alone makes me want him to sign a contract for at least Wilmington.

Saunders to the bench IMO. I think he would have made most the saves Lurch made tonight but the distribution tonight was head and shoulders better than Saunders last year.

I don't understand what everyone wants from Mix.

Everyone has different expectations of Mix. Sometimes he amazes, sometimes he come up short. But... the potential is there and everyone here has seen it at some point during his career. I'd say he comes through way more than he lets down. Lets see is Viera can get him performing on a higher level. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Taylor had some good spells and Shelton some nice runs, but he has very little end product. Looks like he doesn't know what he's going to do when he gets the ball and runs at someone.

That just means Shelton needs more time on the pitch to hone those instincts.

By the way, thanks for this thread. I only got to catch the last 30 minutes or so last night, so it's been great catching up on everything. I wish there were some highlights up somewhere.

Did Saunders play at all last night? Should we be reading anything into the fact that for our one preseason match against an MLS team, Johansen was the choice?

Last edited: