Nycfc V Philly Motm & Post-match

I would love to hear thesauerchise thesauerchise try to talk up Jacobson after that game. If it wasn't for wingert he would have been the worst player on the field. He had his normal number of atrocious give aways, but added a new dimension of poor defending. I'll give him the header to deny sapong, but otherwise so bad. Thank God for the CB's.

Well I wasn't able to watch the game but I was glued to the forum chat box. My conclusion is this...

Holy fuck we won!!!! It's been so long and yet it feels so good. Time to destroy Montreal and get things rolling.

Reactions: Kjbert and TommyM
How many minutes was it before Villa touched the ball? How many runs did he make that no one picked out? How many times did he drop the ball off to another player who ended up sending it backwards instead of returning it or continuing the attack? The only thing more maddening than his lack of trust for his teammates is the way it seems to be mostly justified.

I watched a bit of the Orlando-Chicago game after ours. Every time an Orlando player receives the ball someone is running forward. They seem to lack the passing ability to fully take advantage of this, but where is that kind of dynamism and fluidity on our side?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I would love to hear thesauerchise thesauerchise try to talk up Jacobson after that game. If it wasn't for wingert he would have been the worst player on the field. He had his normal number of atrocious give aways, but added a new dimension of poor defending. I'll give him the header to deny sapong, but otherwise so bad. Thank God for the CB's.
First half particularly was not good. He improved in the second half a bit. The first half overall saw spacing problems with the midfield. It seemed like Poku was supposed to play up high, but he often stayed deeper, leading to everyone having to shift. It was odd, and thankfully McNamara was active.

My biggest concern is why were we the tired ones late? Philly played 3 games in 1 week!

Why the fuck are you criticising Villa's attitude for? He worked his ass off yesterday (the first time I've seen him do that), he was coming deep to influence the game, he was making runs in behind he was closing people down, running the channels, running with the ball.

I want villa to want the ball. Did anyone see brovsky dribble into the box then ignore wide open villa and tmac to take the shot himself? Can we get two new fullbacks?
Man, I can't agree more.

I have documented my thoughts on Brovsky. I just re-watched the match this morning, and he was worse than I thought. He is a damn idiot. Pretty much looked like he was the one who let Edu get behind off the free kick as well.

In positive news, Villa was better than I remembered.

I'll give Jacobson credit for a couple of tackles. Of course, he ole'd on 5 times as many.

Eta: it's absolutely criminal that every opposing coach doesn't insist his team constantly attack Brovsky. He's suspect in literally every phase. It's really not his fault. He shouldn't be paid to play soccer.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyM
Other than the fact that we won, what stood out to you guys about the game. Did anyone in an NYCFC shirt stand out to you?

(Btw, super excited that we pulled out the victory!)

More positive: should have had a penalty on the handball just before Mullins goal.

Also positive: Mullins. He may be the hardest working man in MLS. He covers a lot of ground for us. We are better at both ends when he's on the field. Basically, I would start him somewhere every match. I think he could play 7 or 8 positions better than the guys who start there.

Also, maybe Kreis will finally see that Poku and Tommy should get playing time, and Facey absolutely needs to keep Wingert permanently out of that LCB spot.

Jacobson damn near tried to give the game away. He was the worst player on the field last night. If he's not going to defend, we might as well play a 4-3-3.

Grabavoy: just not very good anymore.

Ref: fucking awful.

Other than the fact that we won, what stood out to you guys about the game. Did anyone in an NYCFC shirt stand out to you?

(Btw, super excited that we pulled out the victory!)

The two players that stood out to me was Facey and Saunders. I hope Facey loves NYC and they can extend his loan that's how good he has been. And what stood out to me about Saunders was good and bad. He makes some amazing saves, but his distribution of the ball is crap.

I think P Mull is a great super sub for NYCFC. People tend to forget that our subs are just as important as our starters. Finishing the match is more important than beginning the match.

Reactions: TommyM and LeeNYCFC
How many minutes was it before Villa touched the ball? How many runs did he make that no one picked out? How many times did he drop the ball off to another player who ended up sending it backwards instead of returning it or continuing the attack? The only thing more maddening than his lack of trust for his teammates is the way it seems to be mostly justified.

I watched a bit of the Orlando-Chicago game after ours. Every time an Orlando player receives the ball someone is running forward. They seem to lack the passing ability to fully take advantage of this, but where is that kind of dynamism and fluidity on our side?

That's called coaching.

How many scored as a starter? It's 0
He's good as a sub, he's delivered as a sub, hasn't as a starter.

Ok, but your stat makes absolutely zero sense. Let's take last night for instance: you give Nemec 3 pts just for starting even though his biggest contribution was stealing the ball off of Villa's foot. Yet in comes Mullins for Nemec and he scores the winning goal to get the team 3 pts. The fact is that Mullins is contributing way more than Nemec in fewer minutes.

My biggest concern is why were we the tired ones late? Philly played 3 games in 1 week!
Was wondering this exact thing while trying to follow the match via Twitter. Maybe the altitude got to us.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Why the fuck are you criticising Villa's attitude for? He worked his ass off yesterday (the first time I've seen him do that), he was coming deep to influence the game, he was making runs in behind he was closing people down, running the channels, running with the ball.

Cause I was at the game I specifically watched him a lot off the ball, which you can't see on TV. You said why are you criticising Villa's attitude and then bring up his play. No one said he's not a good player or he's not playing good. He's the best player on the pitch, but his attitude sucks. There's Villa, than the rest of the team. Speaking of...the "rest of the team" won that game yesterday and Villa had nothing to do with it. So sometimes drive and passion trump talent.