Nycfc's Usl Pro Minor League Affiliate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnusPax

Registered
May 3, 2014
So does anyone think that NYCFC will create a USL Pro team in 2015? Seems like NYC is too late for the '15 USL season. Also I am not convinced that NYC will have the depth or academy to effectively use a whole USL Pro team.

However I do think it might be advantageous for any college SuperDraft or academy players they call up in 2015 to have a place to play regularly. Where in USL Pro could NYC effectively affiliate for 2015?

Here is a list of potentials:

Existing clubs
  • Charleston Battery (seasoned USL team with a nice stadium; formerly Vancouver affiliate)
  • Wilmington Hammerheads (above average with ambitious new ownership; formerly TFC affiliate)
  • OC Blues (failing organization that was semi-affiliated with Chivas; might not be around in '15)
  • Arizona United SC (great new org, semi-affiliated with Salt Lake but RSL will have their own USL team)
New clubs
  • Austin Aztex (new/old team back in USL Pro; they were the team that became Orlando City; might affiliate with Dallas)
  • St Louis (seasoned youth academy guys with a nice stadium; rumored to affiliate with Chicago Fire)
  • Tulsa Roughnecks (new club, affiliate? Maybe Houston would jump to Tulsa and leave Pittsburgh Hounds available for NYC)
  • Colorado Springs Switchbacks (new team that apparntly Rapids want no part in; Colorado affiliated with new Charlotte club)
All this said, they could also choose to send a few players to another team's affiliate (Harrisburg or Rochester) which is closer. Or they could just loan them out to NASL teams (Cosmos) or abroad.

It seems like a tall order to not only build an MLS team, but also another for USL pro all in four months. So I see them affiliating with a team for a season or two, and then ultimately building their own like the Galaxy and other teams are doing

Reactions: Kinkladze
It seems like a tall order to not only build an MLS team, but also another for USL pro all in four months. So I see them affiliating with a team for a season or two, and then ultimately building their own like the Galaxy and other teams are doing
I'm curious, which USL Pro side do you think NYC will affiliate with?

I would think Charleston or maybe Wilmington since they have been around a long while and Kreis probably knows them. Also, NASL Carolina team where Watson-Siroboe is playing now, is coached by his former Dallas coach Colin Clarke.

I'd be partial toward Charleston, but that's mostly just because I really like that city.

Too bad NE is already affiliated with Rochester, would be cool to have the team in NYC and an affiliate in western NY.

Reactions: Goodfella
Yeah, Rochester would have been perfect for marketing to the rest of NY state. I would probably go with Charleston as well.

Sacramento currently has two MLS affiliates, which is allowed under the agreement. So NYCFC could still partner with Rochester. However, the Revs only signed a one-year extension with the Rhinos, so that agreement will expire at the end of the year.

I'd be partial toward Charleston, but that's mostly just because I really like that city.

Too bad NE is already affiliated with Rochester, would be cool to have the team in NYC and an affiliate in western NY.
I've got nothing to add. I just get excited anytime I see Charleston mentioned. I worked there for 2 years. They were a tough two years but that city made a huge impression on me. I love it and I can't wait to visit it again.

Reactions: Goodfella
Out of interest, skipping forward three or four years into the future, if NYCFC were to create a B-team to enter into USL-Pro rather than opt for a permanent link-up with an extant side, and say that team were based close to or inside NYC, how many here would actually attend? Bearing in mind that it would be twice as many weekends of the year taken up by football, twice as much money (well, slightly less, but still some money) and so on?

Out of interest, skipping forward three or four years into the future, if NYCFC were to create a B-team to enter into USL-Pro rather than opt for a permanent link-up with an extant side, and say that team were based close to or inside NYC, how many here would actually attend? Bearing in mind that it would be twice as many weekends of the year taken up by football, twice as much money (well, slightly less, but still some money) and so on?
If they were based near NYC, I would likely try to make a couple games a year if they scheduled them the day after a City I match.

Its an interesting question. Some teams in MLS are all in, like RSL or Montreal, who are building the USL Pro side their own stadium and facilities separate from the main MLS club. Others like Seattle or LA seem to be spending far less and are basically pushing their USL team to their training facility.

Since its so expensive to build in NYC, my guess is this potential NYC USL team would either play in some place like Purchase or way out, like in Hartford.

Reactions: Kjbert
Don't know if I'd actually go to a game. But I'd watch most of the games online if they're still streaming them all for free on YouTube when that time comes.

Attending...probably not. I've only been to one Cosmos game and they play much closer to me than Red Bull...or at least it's much easier to access. The only reason I attended that game was because Red Bull were playing. Having a young family is very time consuming. Free-time is a thing of the past, recreation needs be scheduled and reserved months in advance. Such is life. Perhaps when my daughter is older and if she enjoys the game? then I would attend as many games as she wanted to goto.

MagnusPax MagnusPax Great post. Would probably play in Purchase (or wherever the training ground was) but could see the affiliate near UConn or in Long Island where there are a number of college grounds. Or Columbia.

I would attend a few if they were nearby NYC. I attend Columbia U. games here and there. It's live soccer and if they were NYCFC affiliated, why not? I'd have a vested interest.

I would definitely take in a few game, but like everyone else it would depend on where they're playing.

Now since we're talking Div. 3, I wonder if they would have a problem playing at The Ballpark at St George or MCU Park? Damn, the home of the S.I. Yankees is about a 10 minute drive for me.

A minor league club as an affiliate? How about new york red bull, are they minor enough?
Interesting enough, although they talked a lot about it, NYRB bailed on having a USL Pro team in 2015. A lot of doubt now in RB-land if RB are even hanging around.

My money is on Charleston with an outside option of Rochester. At least for 2015.

They also talked a lot about improving their academy and having a boarding school/academy type of set up. The team is falling apart. Even a class guy like Cahill can't stand it there.

My guess is red bulls funds are going to be going to red bull lepzig and salzburg.

They should sell. Id prefer a manchester united vs manchester city type of rivalry rather than a yankees vs mets type of rivalry in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.