Official Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Allocation money changes the expansion draft
The league office recently revealed that teams will be compensated with allocation money for players lost in the expansion draft. That’s the first time this has happened, and it’s a fascinating idea.

Because of that, the loss of these draftees becomes not merely a loss of a player, but an additional opportunity to bring in new blood. A team not only clears the player’s salary from the ledger, but it adds money to the bank for a replacement signing.

The keys are how much money becomes available, something MLS is unlikely to reveal, and whether there will be a tiered system that provides more allocation money for certain players determined to be more valuable, either by virtue of salary, performance or some other factor.

This change could dramatically alter teams’ calculations on who to protect. For example, if you know that you will be compensated more for the loss of a designated player than a regular player, might that make a team more willing to expose a DP in the draft? Is that how someone like Maurice Edu becomes available, for example?

The expansion draft just got more interesting."

This an excerpt from a phillysoccerpage article.

Could we see some bigger names unprotected because of this?

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
"Allocation money changes the expansion draft
The league office recently revealed that teams will be compensated with allocation money for players lost in the expansion draft. That’s the first time this has happened, and it’s a fascinating idea.

Because of that, the loss of these draftees becomes not merely a loss of a player, but an additional opportunity to bring in new blood. A team not only clears the player’s salary from the ledger, but it adds money to the bank for a replacement signing.

The keys are how much money becomes available, something MLS is unlikely to reveal, and whether there will be a tiered system that provides more allocation money for certain players determined to be more valuable, either by virtue of salary, performance or some other factor.

This change could dramatically alter teams’ calculations on who to protect. For example, if you know that you will be compensated more for the loss of a designated player than a regular player, might that make a team more willing to expose a DP in the draft? Is that how someone like Maurice Edu becomes available, for example?

The expansion draft just got more interesting."

This an excerpt from a phillysoccerpage article.

Could we see some bigger names unprotected because of this?

That very likely could have an impact. We won't know how the money is dispersed, but if it is fairly large, we will see some better talent in sky blue next season!

Current theory is the allocation is only $50k so that will make little difference on key players. Don't expect this to be world changing.

Great list.

Personally, these names inrigued me...

Portland - Harrington and Jewsbury
RSL - Borchers, Grabavoy, Wingert and Findlay (deep squad)
NYRB - Meara and Eckersley
Seattle - Cooper and Traore
New England - Goncalves
LA - Rowe
Colorado - Wynne and Labrocca (Labrocca went to HS with me)
Dallas - Texeira (Young DP) and Watson

I think IF the players contract was declined (I think Chicago and Crew declined like 20 players today) then if NYC takes them the expansion draft they get to renegotiate with them. That could be powerful.

Cahill would be protected cuz he is a DP. DPs are automatically protected.

No he isn't and no they're not. The expansion rules posted directly above your post say:
"Designated Players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected."

eh, why read when I have you fine gentleman :D
Wasn't always like that right? must have changed. Or maybe im just loosing my mind, it has been a tough semester.

Reactions: Paul and MagnusPax
Let me add to my previous comment. The new rules say that if NYCFC take ANY player in the expansion draft they can negotiate his contract.

THATS FRIGGIN HUGE!

Let me add to my previous comment. The new rules say that if NYCFC take ANY player in the expansion draft they can negotiate his contract.

THATS FRIGGIN HUGE!

Not sure I agree it should be done though. That must suck for the players. That means we can throw them a lower wage and then they would kinda be screwed and out of a club if they reject it. That is some shit right there. Jesus. McDonalds workers must have a better union then these guys.

The problem with this draft is that it will be difficult to land a solid starter with no issues, otherwise they would be protected. The players that will be left unprotected will either be unproven, injury prone, poor value (overpriced), bad teammate, or about to bolt to Europe.
Hopefully one or two gems make it into the draft and we pick some quality youngsters who can make it!
Brad Evans, current Seattle Sounders captain, occasional US international, was picked up through the expansion draft. It will be harder with two teams making selections but there will be quality players, as in starting quality or better, available. Just up to the staff to pick the right ones.

Great list.

Personally, these names inrigued me...

Portland - Harrington and Jewsbury
RSL - Borchers, Grabavoy, Wingert and Findlay (deep squad)
NYRB - Meara and Eckersley
Seattle - Cooper and Traore
New England - Goncalves
LA - Rowe
Colorado - Wynne and Labrocca (Labrocca went to HS with me)
Dallas - Texeira (Young DP) and Watson

I've gone through the expansion draft four times on Football Manager 15, and each time I've ended up with Kenny Cooper. I know that's totally unscientific and means nothing, but I've got a feeling we see him in Blue.

I've gone through the expansion draft four times on Football Manager 15, and each time I've ended up with Kenny Cooper. I know that's totally unscientific and means nothing, but I've got a feeling we see him in Blue.
He is actually in my FIFA FUT team breaking havoc alongside Villa

I can totally see Cooper being left unprotected and scooped up by OC or NYC. Very plausible.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
Status
Not open for further replies.