Official Home Opener Traveler Discussion

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
So let's talk home opener and flying in.
Right now the tentative opener is set for 03/15.
Falls on a Sunday. Don't mind this at all. I'll be flying in on Saturday catching Sunday game and flying out Monday night more than likely.
Not booking anything yet but will as soon as this is confirmed.
Best hotel I've found within my budget is The Plaza. Located on the south end of Central Park.
Really liking the location as its close to a lot of places I want to see and the room prices aren't too bad either.
Will be splitting it so will make it a bit easier.
http://www.theplazany.com

Will be flying in Jet Blue. Best rates I've been able to find from FL

Reactions: Brooooooklyn2015
Any idea when MLS will release the 2015 regular season schedule?

Since i'm going to make the most of this opener, i'll definitely be staying overnight in the area. Not sure what area i'll stay in, but I think i'll make some crazy Priceline bids and hope for the best. Should work out well!

also a lot of you guys traveling in from out of state you should look to get hotel rooms get 2 beds or something like that and split it it will be a lot cheaper if you do that or just get one bed and have a few people sleep on sleeping bags...i know this is not for everyone but for me as a college student if i was coming in out of state id definitely do something like this....come saturday everyone meet up at the hotel...go out to the bars sat night then sleep wake up early sunday and pregame in the room then go drink more at the bar before the game with the rest of the supporters

I'll be staying in Park Lane. If you book now they're 40% off so you pay $200 for a $380 room right on top of Central Park. Plus splitting it with a buddy.

Now that we know the date (Sunday, March 15), who else is going to be traveling from out-of-town for the season home opener? I have talked my brother into agreeing to accompany me to NY for the game, but I still have to figure out all of the details and I am hoping that I can get some advice and maybe this could be a discussion place for others who are making plans like myself.

It will be a 6 hr drive or Amtrak trip for me coming from VA, so I am considering traveling up that morning and staying the night after the game. Any recommendations for places to stay?

Reactions: einwindir
Sadly, Orlando is just too far for me to be worth it. Too many responsibilities here to justify that long of a trip. I really hope we have a good support section that goes down though.

Sadly, Orlando is just too far for me to be worth it. Too many responsibilities here to justify that long of a trip. I really hope we have a good support section that goes down though.

Last time I checked, Orlando wasn't the home opener ;)

I'll be flying in from the UK, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

I have mentioned this elsewhere on the forums: Our home opener is a couple of days before St . Patrick's Day, an extremely popular and busy week in NYC.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but hotels are bound to be filling up early that weekend. Start looking and booking now!

I'll be flying in and staying 3 nights. We have a thread for this so I'll merge it for you and we can continue discussion there ;) hopefully get a lot of people together.

I'll be flying in and staying 3 nights. We have a thread for this so I'll merge it for you and we can continue discussion there ;) hopefully get a lot of people together.
Oops! Didn't see it earlier.

So, I've got a college student budget to work with here. The biggest thing I need to figure out is where to stay that will be safe, in a convenient location, and a decent price.

Oops! Didn't see it earlier.

So, I've got a college student budget to work with here. The biggest thing I need to figure out is where to stay that will be safe, in a convenient location, and a decent price.
Months back there was talk of users allowing travellers to stay with them during visits for matches. Feel free to start a thread for that. It would certainly make lodging cheaper.

I'm staying at Park Lane. It looks down on Central Park and is at an amazing location. Affordable if you have someone to split with.

I'm staying at Park Lane. It looks down on Central Park and is at an amazing location. Affordable if you have someone to split with.
Looks nice, but over my budget... especially if me and my brother end up staying 2 nights. I was planning on staying Sat night, leaving on Sun after the game originally.

Try White Plains, Yonkers, New Rochelle They have hotels at half the price or less. But keep in mind that you will have to pay the round trip train fare each time you enter the city.

I have a air matress to stay on for those with smaller bidget. I host friends/ family all the time and its no problem. Please let me know if you need a place to stay. It would be a shame if someone misses out on this game because hotels are so expensive.