Home Opener - People Flying In - Discussion

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
If you're like me and you don't live in the city and will be flying in for the home opener please use this thread and we can discuss hotels and flights and even game tickets.
I'm from Tampa and will be flying in. Looking to stay in Manhattan, so I'm close to some attractions. Probably will spend a few days there as well.
I'm looking at the Double Tree in Time Square right now.

If you're like me and you don't live in the city and will be flying in for the home opener please use this thread and we can discuss hotels and flights and even game tickets.
I'm from Tampa and will be flying in. Looking to stay in Manhattan, so I'm close to some attractions. Probably will spend a few days there as well.

STAY AWAY FROM TIME SQUARE.

Hotels are all foreigners and risk bed bugs. I like the Carlton on Madison right by Madison square park. Also the Hyatt by grand central is nice. There are sometimes deals at Bryant park hotel, palace, and Waldorf but otherwise they are very pricey.

Thanks for the info that's exactly why I made the thread. I searched for hotels near the stadium and nothing within a mile if I remember correctly

Do the Yankees have an official hotel closer to the Stadium?

You don't want to stay near Yankee Stadium. There's not much else around there, and it's not the cleanest neighborhood in the city. Stay somewhere that is close to the B/D or 4/5 trains and it will be easy to get to the game.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but there are really nice hotels around Columbus Circle: Trump International, Mandarin Oriental, or JW Marriott Essex House. Those are close to the D express train, which would get you to the Stadium in 4 or 5 stops (15 ish minutes)

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I would suggest avoiding staying near YS if you plan on staying in NY a few days. Not much to do in the Bx if you aren't from around there.

Avoid Times Sq or anywhere in Midtown. There are cheaper options. If you don't mind a small commute you can look into staying in Bk or Queens. There are a couple hotels near me in Flushing/Bayside that are under 100/night. A ride on the 7 train will take about 40 minutes to get to Times Sq or Grand Central Station.

Maybe we can even open a Game Day B&B type thread come gametime for people who don't mind providing a couch to sleep on for travelers.

Yeah, avoid Times Square. You might even be better off looking at the Marriot or Sheraton in Downtown Brooklyn, might be cheaper then places in the city

Perhaps I mis-posted. I meant to say, do the Yankees have an official hotel in the city that they give their supporters/season ticket holders perks at? Might be a good place to build a base, since NYCFC is using YS and are co-owned by the Yankees.

Perhaps I mis-posted. I meant to say, do the Yankees have an official hotel in the city that they give their supporters/season ticket holders perks at? Might be a good place to build a base, since NYCFC is using YS and are co-owned by the Yankees.

I don't think they do. I found this page on the Yakee's website and it just lists an bunch of generic hotels in Manhattan. There really isn't any decent hotel close enough to Yankee Stadium to merit it being the "official" hotel.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=local_area_info

I used to work near Le Parker Meridian hotel and visiting baseball teams would often stay there.

http://www.parkermeridien.com/home/

I stayed here recently http://www.thepodhotel.page-hotel.co/

Pod 39. Rooms are really small, but clean and in a cool way, and it is cheap. The rooftop bar is insanely cool. More liek a crash pad, you dont want to hang out in the room all day, but I don't expect you would want that anyway in NYC on holiday.

Not until early next year. January/February.

Hmm. That's going to make it hard to plan. I'm also planning on coming in for a few days, but am nervous about prices skyrocketing if I can only book a month in advance.

It doesn't matter where you stay if you're in Manhattan. Everything is a short train ride away. I would, however, suggest staying somewhere in the Gramercy area if you can. Plenty to do, quick, easy access to the 4 train and avoiding all midtown nonsense. Definitely stay away from midtown!

Reactions: einwindir
Glad I started this thread. Some great feedback.
I'll probably be up in January as well so I'll have an opportunity to catch some sights and stuff. This way when I go for the opener I can focus on NYCFC related activities.