Home Opener - People Flying In - Discussion

AirBnB wouldnt be a bad option

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm more concerned about flight prices though. Just booked my flight to Portugal for my holiday next month and they were about twice the rate I could've got if I booked three months in advance or more. Cross-Atlantic flights aren't cheap.

No not at all. Around $1400+ for me if I want to ever catch a MCFC game :/
Did a quick search for middle of March when opening day might be in 2015.
Falastur Falastur
Here are average prices for round trip from Heathrow to JFK.
image.jpg

Actually fixtures came out late November last year. Would be a much better time frame.

That would make life much easier. I don't want to book in advance before the fixtures come out as, knowing my luck, NYCFC will be away the whole time, making my time out there pointless. It's a shame, because I just looked myself and there's some incredible rates available for booking now. Just did a search myself and found tickets for £360 ($600).

Last edited:
Like most have mentioned already, stay away from Time Square and near the stadium. If you can afford a nice hotel in Manhattan, do it. If you're looking for something more affordable, there are a few hotels in Queens right over the bridge that are good. This Four Points in LIC is in a good spot, and a block from the train:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3540

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Best Western Plaza Hotel on 21st in Queens. This hotel is a block away from one of the worst projects (Queensbridge) in all of NYC. Also, if you're staying in Queens, don't use the M train stop at Queensbridge for the same reason. Walk to Queensboro Plaza and take the 7 or N.

My girlfriend and I use the following as a guide. It's worked pretty well so far. Granted it is assuming that you're starting your trip in the States, but it shouldn't really matter. There is quite a bit of info out there on when to buy flights.

Domestic: 54 days before your flight
Europe: 151 days before your flight
Asia: 129 days before your flight
The Caribbean: 101 days before your flight
Mexico: 89 days before your flight
Latin America: 80 days before your flight

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Like most have mentioned already, stay away from Time Square and near the stadium. If you can afford a nice hotel in Manhattan, do it. If you're looking for something more affordable, there are a few hotels in Queens right over the bridge that are good. This Four Points in LIC is in a good spot, and a block from the train:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3540

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Best Western Plaza Hotel on 21st in Queens. This hotel is a block away from one of the worst projects (Queensbridge) in all of NYC. Also, if you're staying in Queens, don't use the M train stop at Queensbridge for the same reason. Walk to Queensboro Plaza and take the 7 or N.
To further expand, unless you are travelling or meeting with friends, I would suggest avoiding LIC entirely. Getting off at Queensboro, it's a 50/50 chance of either being in one if the most yuppified/hipster areas in NYC and one of the most dangerous projects in the city - all those rough places that Nas and Mobb Deep sang about: Queensbridge.

If you take the 7 or N train, and use the Queensboro Plaza station, and never walk west to the water, you're fine. The area north of the Queensboro Plaza where most of the hotels are is fine.

The yuppy area of LIC you're referring to is actually really nice. I used to live there. Yes, there are yuppies, but there's great dinning and bars, and the park on the water with the views on Manhattan is an amazing place.

I marked up a map so it's easier to visualize.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 33
If you're like me and you don't live in the city and will be flying in for the home opener please use this thread and we can discuss hotels and flights and even game tickets.
I'm from Tampa and will be flying in. Looking to stay in Manhattan, so I'm close to some attractions. Probably will spend a few days there as well.
I'm looking at the Double Tree in Time Square right now.
Yes, please. I'm in Jericho and I won't fly, but still, NYC is one hell of an expensive city.

For game days, it could be nice if the TR or this forum could match up supporters flying in with supporters in the city willing to host them. I live in Bk and would be willing to host supporters on gameday.

For game days, it could be nice if the TR or this forum could match up supporters flying in with supporters in the city willing to host them. I live in Bk and would be willing to host supporters on gameday.
As kickoff comes closer feel free to start a thread. There's enough of us here that we could probably make a few good connections.