Official: Pick At The Bones Thread (post Season Drafts)

Free agents, every one: "Players who remained unselected after Stage 2 will be made available to any MLS club on a first-come, first-served basis."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_Re-Entry_Draft
So NASL/USL bound ??? If not chosen in drafts #2/3, where contracts can be renegotiated, then are these guys really going to be that much more appealing as a FA?

How many seasons will the mls have to host this needless re entry draft with 3-5 players being picked over 2 rounds before they realize this is pointless and just allowed theses players to be free agents?

Whatever the actual figure, I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is "far longer than it should take". I may not be as tuned to MLS as many here, considering that it's not from my native market so I don't hear as many stories, but I get the feeling that there's little appetite to drop the drafts at present. I'm not sure MLS really considers there to be a problem, especially after having made the token commitment of creating free agency.

So NASL/USL bound ??? If not chosen in drafts #2/3, where contracts can be renegotiated, then are these guys really going to be that much more appealing as a FA?

yea i wonder this too. so are they out of a job and free to go literally anywhere? im sure NASL teams would want a couple of them for sure.

Free agents, every one: "Players who remained unselected after Stage 2 will be made available to any MLS club on a first-come, first-served basis."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_Re-Entry_Draft
Not quite. If I'm understanding this correctly, a true free agent in MLS are guys like Moor or Mapp, free to sign with whoever they choose with no restrictions. These guys not chosen in these re-entry drafts can now sign with other MLS teams BUT their old MLS team still own their MLS rights, so any new team who wants them would have to trade something to the old team.

Otherwise there would be a ton of free agents every year.

Reactions: Kjbert
Not quite. If I'm understanding this correctly, a true free agent in MLS are guys like Moor or Mapp, free to sign with whoever they choose with no restrictions. These guys not chosen in these re-entry drafts can now sign with other MLS teams BUT their old MLS team still own their MLS rights, so any new team who wants them would have to trade something to the old team.

Otherwise there would be a ton of free agents every year.
Which conceptually is absolutely ridiculous (and I don't see how it could stand up in court) because each player's original MLS club first waived the player, then refused to draft the player not once but twice. The only way the rights should be retained by the club is if there is a standing offer on the table for the player and the offer is for the the same amount of their last contract (which obviously isn't the case).

With the progress that has already been made via their collective bargaining agreements that could be be used as precedence, some of the current "rights to players contracts" could be ripe for challenge in the courts. Nobody wants to be "that guy" that brings the suit, but shenanigans like this are BS. A player that survives three rounds without being picked deserves to be a FA with zero strings attached. Granted, many of these guys still won't be signed, but trading a 4th round pick or $50K for their rights should not be an obstacle.

Which conceptually is absolutely ridiculous (and I don't see how it could stand up in court) because each player's original MLS club first waived the player, then refused to draft the player not once but twice. The only way the rights should be retained by the club is if there is a standing offer on the table for the player and the offer is for the the same amount of their last contract (which obviously isn't the case).

With the progress that has already been made via their collective bargaining agreements that could be be used as precedence, some of the current "rights to players contracts" could be ripe for challenge in the courts. Nobody wants to be "that guy" that brings the suit, but shenanigans like this are BS. A player that survives three rounds without being picked deserves to be a FA with zero strings attached. Granted, many of these guys still won't be signed, but trading a 4th round pick or $50K for their rights should not be an obstacle.
Isn't all this a direct result of "it's MLS" weirdness? For example, aren't all the players really employees of the league and not the teams? Our expectations of what makes sense may not really be accurate here.

Isn't all this a direct result of "it's MLS" weirdness? For example, aren't all the players really employees of the league and not the teams? Our expectations of what makes sense may not really be accurate here.
I don't have a problem with the weirdness of "being an employee of the league," but I think it'd be hard to stand up in court to say that one "department" of a company has to pay another for the rights of an employee..... we're talking about a lateral move and not even a promotion. That's like Marketing telling Facilities that the only way a fired Marketing manager can be hired by Facilities is if Facilities pays for Marketing's holiday party out of their petty cash fund.

This is why MLS's lower quality guys usually sign in NASL, USL or quit soccer all together. Some other MLS club might take them but aren't willing to trade anything for them.

Pretty strange that the original team would retain a claim under these circumstances. If you've gone through all these steps and nobody claims you, by definition there is not much demand for your services. So, the usual MLS concern about not having teams bidding against each other doesn't apply.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Pretty strange that the original team would retain a claim under these circumstances. If you've gone through all these steps and nobody claims you, by definition there is not much demand for your services. So, the usual MLS concern about not having teams bidding against each other doesn't apply.
Exactly. that's what's so asinine about the rule. If a player can survive the Waiver Gauntlet, then the reward should be unfettered free agency. Play a year in NASL/USL and put up solid stats, then when MLS comes calling the player should control their destination - not a team holding infinite/long-term rights.

I don't have a problem with the weirdness of "being an employee of the league," but I think it'd be hard to stand up in court to say that one "department" of a company has to pay another for the rights of an employee..... we're talking about a lateral move and not even a promotion. That's like Marketing telling Facilities that the only way a fired Marketing manager can be hired by Facilities is if Facilities pays for Marketing's holiday party out of their petty cash fund.
Actually, it's more like the Eastern Division sales team waives someone and is in competition with the Western Division sales team. The company winning and the employee happiness aren't nearly as important to them as them beating the West. So long as the company survives and does fairly well, their own Division beating the other is most important. With that in mind, the East never wants to let the West get someone they waived if it will help the West. Unless of course, the West is willing to compensate them.

Makes perfect sense in that competitive landscape.