Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday. Friday is the NYCFC/RBNY conference is I believe.

They should invite fans to these sorts of things to go crazy. The press sits there so quiet with their cameras flashing. How about Pirlo walks through some blue and orange and white smoke bombs set off by fans?

Reactions: Kjbert and NickA
Looks like they will be making the announcement tomorrow as well as another European non-Dp
george-costanza.jpg

Trying not to get my hopes up for the non-DP, but I'm kind of getting my hopes up. I guess as long at they're better than Nemec, I'll be happy enough.
According to NYP there's 200,000-300,000 cap space available and not sure if it includes allocation $$$ so could be more. Would be a very good signing.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
According to NYP there's 200,000-300,000 cap space available and not sure if it includes allocation $$$ so could be more. Would be a very good signing.

But spread over 3 players? Doesn't look as hot.

Then again, it's ~$250k, plus the salaries that are pushed off the books, plus potential allocation money. So we could be looking at $200k+ per player.

I guess it's all speculation until announced.

Nick most EPL teams have been running at a loss for most years up to the last couple. More teams are now making a profit and this will continue to grow when the new TV deal kicks in.

For example, the bottom team this past season earned £60m. This will increase to £90m after next season.

Also, most teams are getting the turnover to wages ratio down so this will also help.

I first saw Serie A when Satellite TV first emerged in the UK, and in those days all teams had great players like Van Basten, Gullit, Maldini, Baggio etc

It was definitely the best league in the world at that time. Many things have changed since then and I believe the upsurge of violence within Italian football supporters was another big factor in people stopping going to the games.

I think the decline in Serie A has more to do with the economy of southern Europe and the big money new ownership in PL than it does with violence in the stadiums.

Reactions: whill4 and Kjbert
I wouldn't discount the fact that it's not in English, either. Hell, that's a big money driver for EPL. It's English, so it's easy to follow for Americans.

Their TV contracts are worth more because they have a greater pool based on language alone.

Reactions: joe
I think the decline in Serie A has more to do with the economy of southern Europe and the big money new ownership in PL than it does with violence in the stadiums.

The biggest factor in my opinion is that the Roman Abramovich's and Sheikh Mansour's of Serie A stopped spending or compeletly went out of business. You had billionaire Massimo Moratti at Inter,Sergio Cragnotti at Lazio, Silvio Berlusconi at Milan, at AC Milan's peak they had a wages to turnover ratio of something ridiculous like 95%, but it didn't matter because the owner would just pick up the bill.

Parma were a small town team who yo-yoed between Serie B & C for years, they were bought by the giant company Parmalat, in 1999 they had players like Cannavaro, Thuram, Buffon, Veron and Crespo and then Parmalat went bankrupt in 2004. Serie A also had Roma and Juve who were just naturally strong teams and it made Serie A unarguably the best league in the world back then.

I wouldn't discount the fact that it's not in English, either. Hell, that's a big money driver for EPL. It's English, so it's easy to follow for Americans.

Their TV contracts are worth more because they have a greater pool based on language alone.

That's probably why the international rights sell for more but the domestic TV deals are still far larger in England. The domestic TV rights are still where the Premier League gets most of it's money from.

Reactions: JayH
The biggest factor in my opinion is that the Roman Abramovich's and Sheikh Mansour's of Serie A stopped spending or compeletly went out of business. You had billionaire Massimo Moratti at Inter,Sergio Cragnotti at Lazio, Silvio Berlusconi at Milan, at AC Milan's peak they had a wages to turnover ratio of something ridiculous like 95%, but it didn't matter because the owner would just pick up the bill.

Parma were a small town team who yo-yoed between Serie B & C for years, they were bought by the giant company Parmalat, in 1999 they had players like Cannavaro, Thuram, Buffon, Veron and Crespo and then Parmalat went bankrupt in 2004. Serie A also had Roma and Juve who were just naturally strong teams and it made Serie A unarguably the best league in the world back then.

That's probably why the international rights sell for more but the domestic TV deals are still far larger in England. The domestic TV rights are still where the Premier League gets most of it's money from.

Serie A is in the state its in right now because the stadiums are fucking dumps, so no one wants to go to the games, and the clubs don't make money. Clubs need to build and own their stadiums. Juve did it right.

Then there is the safety issue, so families don't go to matches. I think Serie A needs to do what the EPL did and focus on making the experience more family friendly.

The other issue is that the development of quality Italian players has gone to shit.

Reactions: JayH
Serie A is in the state its in right now because the stadiums are fucking dumps, so no one wants to go to the games, and the clubs don't make money. Clubs need to build and own their stadiums. Juve did it right.

Then there is the safety issue, so families don't go to matches. I think Serie A needs to do what the EPL did and focus on making the experience more family friendly.

The other issue is that the development of quality Italian players has gone to shit.

Add in the fact that they were well behind the EPL, which did a fantastic job of branding "Premier League" capitalizing on a global strategy which Serie A has been much slower and less effective at doing. EPL was always more organized than the Italian league, which I remember several times delaying their season because of TV rights disputes.
Add in greater levels of mismanagement with far too many clubs operating under grossly unsustainable business models and the integrity of the games being questioned with the match fixing scandal to the issues of fan violence and lower quality stadiums among other problems and you get what you get.
It's actually quite remarkable that the league is still as strong as it is, and with good leadership they can reverse this trend over time.

Reactions: Kjbert
We should take our bets on the Pirlo announcement. Starting to think Friday based on the first reports, and selling $20 tickets for the NJRB game, OR Sunday at the game. It'd get lost in the world on Saturday, and most will be talking about the USWNT.

Reactions: DeGrozz
In reality Serie A became popular because of the ban metered out to English clubs after the Heysel Stadium incident. The English league, was up till then, the most popular league.

But Serie A never moved with the times. Poor Stadia and branding/marketing has seen it decline markedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.