Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton fan here. I've liked what Eto'o has done this year. Big fan of him as a player and person. Still super talented. If he joined tomorrow, he's our best player. Sorry David Villa.
Agreed, but what about his hair? That appears to be vitally important also.

If Eto'o comes to NYCFC, the tears from the rest of MLS will be so delicious.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: S1ARK5 and Kjbert
I honestly think it is just a matter of whether we want him or not. With the state that Serie A is in financially, I'd have to believe that CFG could flash more cash than Sampdoria for his wages. And since he was only picked up in a free transfer this summer it should not take a large transfer fee to be accepted

Reactions: Kjbert
News on ESPNFC says that Samuel Eto'o is looking for a new club and is open to a move to the US. Its reported that the Seattle Sounders were interested but just couldn't accommodate him because of their lack of a DP slot. What are your thoughts on NYCFC possibly grabbing him?

Pros: Amazing athelete, great technical ability, clinical finisher, ex-Barcelona player (which means he would fit in well with the style of football we are wanting to play here.), would be a great partner with Villa up front, and former teammates with Frank Lampard.

Cons: His salary might be a little high and he is 33 years old already
ETo would be a great get for nycfc regardless of age. He is still physically gifted and would be a force up top pairing with villa. I hope this is true.

Definitely not. It was a confusing signing from the start and playing him out of position didn't help things at all.

I understood the signing. Some folks thought Kone was done for good. Jelavic was sold. It was essentially Lukaku and Naisy up top. You were heading into European play and needed at least 3 strikers, if not more. But he's run Lukaku ragged and hasn't used Eto'o right. Eto'o and Barkley can't play together.

I would argue that Barkley should be playing deeper where Barry is and have Barry sit in the stands without a uniform. That's just me.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Heath Pearce was not able to come to terms with Orlando City.

I think he's been a quality MLS defender for a while. MLSoccer.com reporting he is exploring options overseas. Is this a guy we should consider?
Absolutely not. His best days where with Chivas and since coming to redbulls in that Juan agodelo trade he has been rapidly in decline and injured and is more worried about his modeling then soccer. Redbulls released him and he went to Montreal where he did at best ok. Maybe if he comes cheap and at best part of depth but I no way would start pearce.

Guys like Eto'o and Drogba could still thrive here. It's the midfielders I worry about.
This is why Kreis is kreis. He knows in order to win in any league especially mls, you need very good midfield play. Look at our mids. I say right now our mids is our strength. If George John can get back to his fc Dallas days and mendoza can be a young olave.....watch out.

With the style of play that Kreis wants with a lot of possession, I agree that our midfield play is of utmost importance.

But you still need to score goals. I just think that the teams that thrived this year, LAG, NER and DCU, had exceptional midfield play.

With the style of play that Kreis wants with a lot of possession, I agree that our midfield play is of utmost importance.

But you still need to score goals. I just think that the teams that thrived this year, LAG, NER and DCU, had exceptional midfield play.
Your absolutely right. Galaxy in my opinion had the best midfield. Bruce is a great coach and he understands the importance of possession soccer with a purpose. With guys like juninho, donovan, heck even robbie Keane going back there sometimes, you can tell that team knows what they are doing when they have the ball. Same with New England. As soon as Jones came in, that allows guys like nguyen, and the rest of the mid to not worry so much about the defensive mid assignments because they knew Jones was there to clean isht up. Then you have Jones as well that can get up there a provide good service its not a coincidence that when Petke finally figured the mid pairing get of Dax and Alexander that Redbull started to be more consistent.

I wouldn't mind seeing us try to hijack Giovinco from Toronto. Very technically gifted player that would be perfect at the top of the diamond. He was very good at Parma but never really seemed to fit at Juventus. Only 27 as well.

Reactions: BxLio91 and S1ARK5
I wouldn't mind seeing us try to hijack Giovinco from Toronto. Very technically gifted player that would be perfect at the top of the diamond. He was very good at Parma but never really seemed to fit at Juventus. Only 27 as well.
Absolutely. He is the exact type of player mls needs and should try to covet moving forward. He would be very effective I think at the top spot of the diamond that maybe can move to the right or left once lampard comes in and then have mix switch depending on where giovinco goes, right or left. Or even have frank play on top with villa and have giovinco as cam, and have mix play an aggressive ram, or lam, keep in mind though in order for a diamond midfield to be great you need a very good cdm. Someone like Dax would be very good, especially with a back line that is not proven.....anyway just food for thought but like I always have said. I trust Kreis and Reyna to bring in quality players that fit the system.

Absolutely. He is the exact type of player mls needs and should try to covet moving forward. He would be very effective I think at the top spot of the diamond that maybe can move to the right or left once lampard comes in and then have mix switch depending on where giovinco goes, right or left. Or even have frank play on top with villa and have giovinco as cam, and have mix play an aggressive ram, or lam, keep in mind though in order for a diamond midfield to be great you need a very good cdm. Someone like Dax would be very good, especially with a back line that is not proven.....anyway just food for thought but like I always have said. I trust Kreis and Reyna to bring in quality players that fit the system.
Dax can lose runners with the best of them. No doubt about it.

And I have done told yall, don't make me raise my voice about Lampard as a 10 again.

Eta: putting him higher up the pitch might not be awful, though. More of an SS, like Deuce...I could see that.

But his value is in playing a true midfield role where his vision and awareness are able to shine. That's what allows him to get into those positions to score. He might lose that if he were working closer to the back line.

He's not exceptional technically (well below someone like Gerrard, even). And he doesn't really do the janky leg like Deuce. So maybe he wouldn't work as an SS.

Sub role it is at this point. When has he last regularly played 90? His effectiveness at MC is probably in large part due to limited minutes. He's been shite when he started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I think with Mix here, Lampard slides into a #8 role in a 4-2-3-1 alongside Jacobson. Or he slides into a RM role in a bunched up 4-4-2.

....ummm......wait...what?
Dax McCarthy gets accused of being good because he's running balls out all the time. If he'd get in good postions, he wouldn't be trying to play catch up all the time.

Are you a ginger? Is that why you are mad?

Eta: the Dax McCartys of MLS are actually exactly why having Frank come out of the mid-field could be so good.

And no hard feelings about the ginger thing. I understand, even those without souls still have feelings. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.