Philadelphia - Postmatch

I didn’t think the first half was bad. Not great, but I wasn’t disappointed in the play. We had some great chances, sucks that none of them were finished, but 0-0 on the road isn’t terrible. Then they came out for the second half and just seemed so listless and out of sorts. Certainly not the way to build momentum before a big, important matchup

I'm probably gonna get hate from those of you who are still salty about the match but... Let's remember that even with a loss here we have the best points total we've ever had at this point, and even though yes we are going for the shield, all is not lost, and we should be happy with the position we are in right now, because most of the other teams in the league would be extremely happy even being in the position we are in. Does that means I'm happy with tonight's result? Absolutely not, I'm very irritated. But that doesn't mean I'm mad with the season overall.

The one thing I'm gonna say is, I don't understand how a team like ours can start off every season hot and winning and insanely cohesive, and end every single season the complete opposite way.

Even Johnson was spraying balls over their heads and out of bounds. It was all around very poor from everyone. Why were we playing direct half the time? Did any one of those long balls find Berget? I don’t recall. Sooooo poor.

I get that pearl-clutching is kind of your thing, but you should lay off a little.

Nothing I said didn’t happen. He dove three times tonight. He sprung up and was holding his head/face. If his hamstring was really bad, he wouldn’t have popped up. I’m not the only one that called him out on it. If it’s a hamstring, we won’t see him again for weeks or longer, maybe even the season. My guess is we see him before that.

Edit: and saying a player is injured is a convenient way to sit them without announcing a coach’s decision. Callens did not look like he was favoring a knee tonight, he just looked like he was having a pretty bad match. The only part of that tweet I believe is accurate is that neither will play next match, but I’m skeptical of the reasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm probably gonna get hate from those of you who are still salty about the match but... Let's remember that even with a loss here we have the best points total we've ever had at this point, and even though yes we are going for the shield, all is not lost, and we should be happy with the position we are in right now, because most of the other teams in the league would be extremely happy even being in the position we are in. Does that means I'm happy with tonight's result? Absolutely not, I'm very irritated. But that doesn't mean I'm mad with the season overall.

The one thing I'm gonna say is, I don't understand how a team like ours can start off every season hot and winning and insanely cohesive, and end every single season the complete opposite way.

When did this team ever start "hot and winning and insanely cohesive" before this year? NYCFC had horrific starts in 2015 and 2016. Last year it had a decent start but its best stretch was from just before midway to about the 3/4 mark.

And as we haven't even reached the last 25% of this year it's premature to discuss how we finished this year. The team is in a 4-game slump (of which 3 were road games) with 9 to play.

There is no pattern to the team's seasons to date.

But I fully agree with your first paragraph. Thru 25 games, this is the team's best season, and it only feels so crappy because 2 other East conference teams are doing even better.

When did this team ever start "hot and winning and insanely cohesive" before this year? NYCFC had horrific starts in 2015 and 2016. Last year it had a decent start but its best stretch was from just before midway to about the 3/4 mark.

And as we haven't even reached the last 25% of this year it's premature to discuss how we finished this year. The team is in a 4-game slump (of which 3 were road games) with 9 to play.

There is no pattern to the team's seasons to date.

But I fully agree with your first paragraph. Thru 25 games, this is the team's best season, and it only feels so crappy because 2 other East conference teams are doing even better.
2017 and 2016 we started the first half of the year (not necessarily the first few weeks, but throughout the year.) playing nice football and were scoring for fun, and then towards the end our attack petered out and started looking a lot worse.
At least, that's how I've felt watching the team over the past three years.

2017 and 2016 we started the first half of the year (not necessarily the first few weeks, but throughout the year.) playing nice football and were scoring for fun, and then towards the end our attack petered out and started looking a lot worse.
At least, that's how I've felt watching the team over the past three years.
The team had 7 points after 8 games in 2016, and were winless in the first 5 home games. If you can spin that into a good start I don't know how we can have a meaningful discussion.

ETA, in 2016 the team's PPG in the second half of the season was higher than the first half, and the last quarter was higher than the first 3 quarters of the season. They started shit (1.20 PPG thru 15 games) and finished strong (1.89 over the last 19).

Last edited:
Not this year. He's GA no matter what. The more minutes he plays the more likely he graduates between seasons. But after 2 seasons they could graduate him anyway. Also, it's not really that they don't want to pay him but the salary cap hit.
It is strange that they sign 3-4 year GenA contracts but then are graduated early if successful.

The team had 7 points after 8 games in 2016, and were winless in the first 5 home games. If you can spin that into a good start I don't know how we can have a meaningful discussion.

ETA, in 2016 the team's PPG in the second half of the season was higher than the first half, and the last quarter was higher than the first 3 quarters of the season. They started shit and finished strong.
hmmm, that's a good point. Could just be that last year erased my memories of 2016.
I guess it could be because at the time I was comparing 2016 to 2015, so in my mind it was a strong start.

lol. We suck. That was horrible. On every level.

Someone tell me why Lewis can’t play for this dog crap squad. And it is dog crap.

Reactions: canchon
Ugghh I'm not feeling this team as much as the last couple seasons.
You and me both. It’s a gutless bunch of punks.

Which is why I’m checked out of NYC and checked into MLS apathy.

Waiting for the renewal window to open to shave some monthly expenses.

Reactions: NickFromAstoria