Postmatch Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think us scoring 4 is much more likely than us keeping a clean sheet at home... *sigh* I want to be happy that we at least made the playoffs, but that was such a shit performance.
Shit performance with depressing approach.

Chanot and Brillant were great tonight. They were the only two guys that did anything. It was those two against the entire Toronto team.

Without Pirlo, we are still a mess in the attack. Pirlo is a great calming influence and he slows down the game just enough for our guys to find their positioning. Our midfield depth is awful behind him. We are playing a 34 year old fullback in the midfield, and then rotate thru NASL-caliber guys like Mikey Lopez. And Harrison, Shelton, and Mendoza are complimentary pieces at this point. Our team is still basically Villa and Pirlo, and that's it. It kind of reminds me of Toronto prior to their Will Johnson and Drew Moor acquisition - those squad guys that really complete the team.

Anyway, I started rambling. Props to the defense this game despite the loss. They were setup for failure. I hope Johansen doesn't take it too hard.

We are living on borrowed time for another week.

giphy.gif

Lot of histrionics in this thread but we were six minutes away from a very good performance tonight. It's clear that Vieira is treating the two legs as one extended game rather than taking each game in isolation, so it made sense for us to be so cautious tonight. Their first goal was as fortunate a goal as you'll see in any league. No complaints about that.

Mata is a wonderful player to watch, but there's a reason he's playing in MLS and not in Europe. It's a shame that he chose tonight to remind us of that (NJRB at home was the other glaring example).

Taking off Villa that early was a mistake in hindsight. Clearly PV wasn't expecting us to need to try for a goal late on.

We missed Pirlo a lot today. He was dire last week, but with him gone and Iraola at the back, the midfield had no composure whatsoever.

If we've learned one thing this year, Vieira likes to be bold when we need goals. I wouldn't be surprised to see us switch to (or even start with) a 3-3-4 early on next Sunday. Tonight sucked, but I think it's going to be a great game next weekend.

I'm going to look for the silver lining here and say this should probably convince CFG to give us someone younger. Our playoff issues are entirely due to the fact that older players have a higher chance of getting hurt.

Reactions: Ulrich
We lost the game at 6 pm.

Chanot and brillant were awesome. But you can't ask anyone to just bunker for 90 minutes. The fullbacks were so bad, which is surprising since they are usually a strong point. The midfield was the biggest joke i have ever seen. Lopez is not a soccer player, bravo has to be the most regressed player on the team. Absolutely no service to the forwards.
Lampard played well for about ten minutes which is all I think he has in his tank anymore.
Shelton looked good and if we're going to play lump ball he should have been in earlier.
Vieira fucked us all when he decided he wasn't going to figure out the mix situation and give up on him.
All that said, it's going to make for an insane game next week. Toronto's defense sucks worse than ours, it's not an unwinnable game.

So he benched himself? Like I said, he bossed Bradley last time we played.

While there are clearly those who would love to re-litigate why Mix isn't in the team for the 1000th time, I couldn't give a shit.

But for any player to jump on Twitter a few minutes after the game so they can huff and puff for the benefit of their few remaining acolytes is nothing short of pathetic. Mix jumped the shark a long time ago.

I'm going to look for the silver lining here and say this should probably convince CFG to give us someone younger. Our playoff issues are entirely due to the fact that older players have a higher chance of getting hurt.
That and we played literally the most negative approach possible.

As a fan of us, I hated it. As a fan of the game, it was really sad and unexpected. I thought we would go for a goal early and then sit in.

While there are clearly those who would love to re-litigate why Mix isn't in the team for the 1000th time, I couldn't give a shit.

But for any player to jump on Twitter a few minutes after the game so they can huff and puff for the benefit of their few remaining acolytes is nothing short of pathetic. Mix jumped the shark a long time ago.

Maybe the problem is yours. You can go back and watch the tape of him dominating Bradley. It's not like we're making things up. Nor is Mix. PV failed in that aspect of his managerial duties for some reason. I don't know why. But he should have figured it out. No reason Mix doesn't play from a TEAM standpoint. It's some personal shit that should have been long resolved. Patrick Mourinho is the fucking manager. If he wants to Schweinstiger Mix, then he should explain it.

I think we're fucked but at this stage bringing not using Mix into the discussion is absurd. I've got him on the back of my kit but we achieved everything we did this season without him. Do have to wonder how late the Pirlo decision was made and how much that affected the game plan. Praying for the Impact to hold on I'll at least take the schadenfreude of those Jersey fuck wits going out with us.

Maybe the problem is yours. You can go back and watch the tape of him dominating Bradley. It's not like we're making things up. Nor is Mix. PV failed in that aspect of his managerial duties for some reason. I don't know why. But he should have figured it out. No reason Mix doesn't play from a TEAM standpoint. It's some personal shit that should have been long resolved. Patrick Mourinho is the fucking manager. If he wants to Schweinstiger Mix, then he should explain it.

It beggars belief to me that there are still people so obsessed with Mix that they can watch our most important game of the season, and are still so fixated on the fact that he didn't play. If you think his omission today was the deciding factor in the game then more power to you. But emotionally speaking, I don't know how you're going to handle things next season when he gets cut in a few weeks.

It beggars belief to me that there are still people so obsessed with Mix that they can watch our most important game of the season, and are still so fixated on the fact that he didn't play. If you think his omission today was the deciding factor in the game then more power to you. But emotionally speaking, I don't know how you're going to handle things next season when he gets cut in a few weeks.
If he's cut, he's not an option. The question is why one of our best players who offers exactly what we needed tonight is so on the outs with our manager that he gets no time.

It's not a new opinion, nor the first time it's been offered here. Multiple times this year he would have been exactly our best option.

What's weird is why more isn't made of it, not that some folks here call it out.

Bunkering wasn't the issue. Playing for 0-0 or 1-0 has done several teams well. See Italy, Mourinho's Chelsea.

The issue was spending an entire season molding a team to win 3-2, and to play from the back, only to shift lanes in the most important game of the year. The goals may have come at the end, but the beginning led to the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.