First Time At Red Bull Arena: Stadium, Supporters And Those Damn Drums

Wait, so if you RSVP'd to the Third Rail ticket page and have not received a response yet...are you out of luck?

As far as I know, the first batch of tickets was only for people who met 2 criteria: Are 2015 dues paid members and RSVPd on the Eventbrite page. There is a second round of tickets coming that will be for everyone else. If you RSVPd, but are not a 2015 member, then you should get an e-mail when those tickets are available.

It would have been nice if they could have been a little bit more clear.

Well I went ahead and bought tickets. This reinforces my position not to join TR, at least until they get their act together.

Reactions: TommyM
Well I went ahead and bought tickets. This reinforces my position not to join TR, at least until they get their act together.

If you were a paid TR member and RVSP'd but didn't get an email to the link to purchase tickets from NYRB then I think you could be legitimately upset. But this seems to be one of the rare occasions where the TR "got their act together" and actual TR members were able to purchase their tickets as advertised. It only makes sense that paid TR members would have first dibs to the TR tickets. I'm pretty sure they said that non-TR fans would only be able to get whatever TR tickets were left over, if any. If anything, this shows that there are real benefits to being a TR member.

If you were a paid TR member and RVSP'd but didn't get an email to the link to purchase tickets from NYRB then I think you could be legitimately upset. But this seems to be one of the rare occasions where the TR "got their act together" and actual TR members were able to purchase their tickets as advertised. It only makes sense that paid TR members would have first dibs to the TR tickets. I'm pretty sure they said that non-TR fans would only be able to get whatever TR tickets were left over, if any. If anything, this shows that there are real benefits to being a TR member.
Except when I RSVP'd on the site, it made no mention of required membership.

Except when I RSVP'd on the site, it made no mention of required membership.
They didn't say anything specific on the eventbrite page, true, but it's mentioned on the third rail website as I quoted above. At any rate, everybody should know that it's implied like Paul said. If you're trying to get officially-allocated-to-supporters tickets to USMNT games, you need to be a member of American Outlaws. If you're not a member, you're on your own to obtain that shit. It's the same deal here.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Reactions: roxfontaine
If you're trying to get officially-allocated-to-supporters tickets to USMNT games, you need to be a member of American Outlaws. If you're not a member, you're on your own to obtain that shit. It's the same deal here.
Not exactly. Typically you have to pay an extra $5 per ticket for non AO members.

I RSVP'd way back when, paid my 2015 dues months ago and didn't receive an email/ticket offer

Edit: Folks at Third Rail have sorted me out. Thanks R roxfontaine for facilitating

Last edited:
Really excited for the first derby game at RBA. A lot of the points in the original post are right on. It's a beautiful stadium, but unfortunately for the team/fans it's normally pretty empty. I'd estimate I've been there about 15 times. In most cases it's lower bowl full, upper bowl mostly empty. The section right above the goal in the second deck will be partially full, as will the sideline sections around midfield, but the corners are usually 100% empty. You can basically just buy the cheapest ticket available and then sit wherever you want. When Henry was on the team the only thing I really cared about was watching him score, so I’d just buy a cheap ticket and then go sit at whatever end Red Bulls were attacking. Switch at halftime.

I never understood their supporter's group situation. Usually each group is doing its own thing, which takes away from their overall impact.

The PATH situation on the return trip is bad. It’s nice that the station is right there but it’s completely inadequate even when there’s only a crowd of 15K or so. You have to buy your return ticket on the way to the game or you’ll be stuck in line forever. Don’t think I’ve ever been there for a sellout or anything close, although I imagine the first derby will get there or at least be close. And with all the fans from the city it’ll be a real test of the PATH.

Hate to admit it as a sports fan but I almost always leave RBA around the 80th-85th minute just to beat the crowd.

It’s a really great place to watch a game and also a great value in the area. As stated in the original post, you can usually get tickets for next to nothing. I bought face value tickets for the NYCFC game and at $35 or so each they’re probably the most expensive RBA tickets I’ve ever purchased. Normally you can either find a discount code or find secondary market tickets for <$20.

Not exactly. Typically you have to pay an extra $5 per ticket for non AO members.
I'm not sure how it works for home friendlies and qualifiers to be honest, but for the World Cup, there were team-specific tickets set aside for US fans for the US games. For that, you had to be a member of American Outlaws. That's more similar to this situation (Red Bull setting aside tickets for NYCFC).