Pre-kick Anthem Suggestions (dialogue Encouraged)

I love the idea of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Great buildup to the final verse, home-grown iconic artists, cross-generational appeal, and a fantastic tune. I think for a pre-game anthem the slower pace of the song leading up to a powerful finish is preferable to a more up-tempo song.

Also love New York State of Mind, although I would need convincing that it would work well as a sing-along for 30,000 people...

Reactions: Paul
I like this. Change a couple words around and it could be a NYCFC classic. Great suggestion.

No way I will be allowed to sleep tonight, Mrs E is on tenterhooks waiting for Son E to phone with news of the latest E arrival. So while watching the Man City / Milan game, I decided to have a go at it for you....

My suggestion, not too much different to the original, but how does this work for you ?

When no-one else can understand me (reference to soccer is minority sport)
When everything I do is wrong
You give me hope and consolation
You give me strength to carry on
And you're always there to lend a hand
In everything I do
That's the wonder
The wonder of you (or Blue)
And when you smile (WIN) the world is brighter
You touch my hand (heart) and I'm a king
Your kiss (game) to me is worth a fortune
Your love for me is everything (My Love for you is everything)
I'll guess I'll never know the reason why
You love me like you do (I love you like I do)
That's the wonder
The wonder of you (Blue)

No way I will be allowed to sleep tonight, Mrs E is on tenterhooks waiting for Son E to phone with news of the latest E arrival. So while watching the Man City / Milan game, I decided to have a go at it for you....

My suggestion, not too much different to the original, but how does this work for you ?

In everything I do
That's the wonder
That's the wonder
The wonder of you (Blue)

Very good

I saw someone else had posted the below song as an idea. Again, it is Simon and Garfunkel and as New York as it gets. Lyrics are:

New York, to that tall skyline I come, flyin' in from London to your door
New York, lookin' down on Central Park
Where they say you should not wander after dark
New York, like a scene from all those movies
But you're real enough to me, but there's a heart
A heart that lives in New York
A heart in New York, a rose on the street
I write my song to that City heartbeat
A heart in New York, love in her eye, an open door at a friend for the night
New York, you got winning on your mind
And my words won't make a dime's worth a difference, so here's to you New York

When I think of this I can only think of one song, Frank Sinatra's New York New York. Not only is this possibly the most New York song there is, but it would be amazing as a chant or a song. Also the lyrics are very fitting as to where NYCFC is in its history; Staring up in the big city, wanting to be a part of it, etc. The lyrics regarding leaving somewhere to come here could would most certainly resonate with the players (Villa/Lampard/others) coming from their homelands to 'be a part of it'. Just a thought, heres the link for those who are new to it or forgot the song. Just imagine 30k fans singing ' ITS UP TO YOU NEW YORK, NEW YOOOOORRRRRKKKKK'. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Reactions: Capt.Tsubasa
On the way to watch Coventry City V Barnsley tonight (I enjoy all levels of football, and I go to watch all kinds of random games) I heard a record on the radio.... dont know how it would go down as a football song but it made me think of this thread... Mr Blue Sky (ELO)

In everything I do
That's the wonder
That's the wonder
The wonder of you (Blue)
i REALLY like this idea. i would deffinetely join in singing this

I would stick to New York New York. It's easy to sing along to and most familiar to people.

"Bridge over Troubled Water" was composed by Paul Simon. The chorus lyrics were partly inspired by Claude Jeter's line "I'll be your bridge over deep water if you trust in me," which Jeter sang with his group, the Swan Silvertones, in the 1958 song "Mary Don't You Weep."

Jeter...Yankees...Re2pect...2014. Anyone see the magic here? Just sayin'

I think BOTW is a great song without music it would knock the 4.5 minute song down to about 2 minutes. maybe even faster when sung after a good pre-game.
I think the most NYC song ever(Ramones not included) is Paul Simons "late in the evening". "All the girls out on the stoop" one of the best lines ever in a song if your from the city.
BOTW with a few lines changed. " Silver Girl sail on" becomes some "blue sailing" line something and" im sailing right behind you" becomes something like "im in the car behind you" but I leave that to the wordsmiths

I know someone might rip me a new one for even bringing up another team, but even so i'm gonna go ahead and try to bring up this point.

Personally I would like to see us come up with a song that's similar to RSL's "Believe". When I say that I don't mean that we need to change a couple of words, keep the same tune, and make it our own. What I mean is that we should come up with a song that follows the same magical formula that makes it a great and powerful anthem (we can at least admit that much).

Believe works well in my mind because it is short, catchy, and has powerful meaning. It has only 3 to 4 sentences and is repeaTed as seen fit by the fans. It being short allows for people to easily memorize and follow along. Allowing even the newest of fans to be able to join in. It has almost has like a battle cry catchyness to it which also gives it a I timidating factor to it when everyone sings along.

I know this is all just my opinion and I get some people will cringe just at the sight of RSL being mentioned. But weather or not we like it we have a lot of ties to that organization from even us just having (in my mind the best coach in MLS) Jason Kreis who was as we know their old coach. Plus as a side note I would think having a Battle Humm type anthem for our crowd would give coach Kreis a little taste of his old home which I think he might appreciate.

Would like to hear your opinions on this. Just be gentle if your strongly opposed to it haha

Reactions: einwindir
Off the top of my head "Summer in the City" comes to mind. I can see easy lyrics fixes to match up.

what about doing roll call like the Yankees do? chant the names of all the players until they acknowledge it

When I think of this I can only think of one song, Frank Sinatra's New York New York. Not only is this possibly the most New York song there is, but it would be amazing as a chant or a song. Also the lyrics are very fitting as to where NYCFC is in its history; Staring up in the big city, wanting to be a part of it, etc. The lyrics regarding leaving somewhere to come here could would most certainly resonate with the players (Villa/Lampard/others) coming from their homelands to 'be a part of it'. Just a thought, heres the link for those who are new to it or forgot the song. Just imagine 30k fans singing ' ITS UP TO YOU NEW YORK, NEW YOOOOORRRRRKKKKK'. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

It's cliche but I can't think of a better anthem than that. There isn't another song that represents the city better. And this franchise wants to be the team of the city.

Last edited: