Pre-season Schedule Announced

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
From NYCFC.com:

As New York City FC prepare for their historic inaugural MLS campaign, they have scheduled two exhibition matches vs. European clubs, St. Mirren and Brondby.

New York City FC will face Scottish Premiership side St. Mirren on February 10 in a 2:00pm kick-off. Based near Glasgow, St Mirren have lifted the Scottish Cup three times in their history and won the Scottish League Cup in 2013.

On February 15 in a 7:00am kick off, NYCFC faces Brondby, a Danish Superliga team chasing a Europa spot.

These two games round out the team’s pre-season schedule which also features two games as part of the Carolina Challenge Cup which kicks off on February 19th in Charleston.

Head Coach Jason Kreis believes the pre-season plans will help to give New York City FC the best possible start to its first season in the MLS.

“St Mirren and Brondby will provide top class opposition for us ahead of our first competitive MLS game against Orlando on March 8th. We’re delighted to be taking on such strong opposition at a very important stage of our pre-season.

“Following our training camp in Florida these matches will provide the perfect opportunity to test our progress as a team.”

St. Mirren and Brondy. Not very sexy, but who's complaining? Wonder if they have any plans to stream either match?

Reactions: Kjbert
New York City FC will take on St Mirren and Brondby at City Football Academy on February 10 and 15 respectively.
Jason Kreis's men will face Scottish Premiership side St. Mirren on February 10 in a 7pm kick-off at the new CFA Stadium.

Based near Glasgow, St Mirren have lifted the Scottish Cup three times in their history and won the Scottish League Cup in 2013.

This encounter will be followed five days later by a match against Danish Superliga outfit, Brondby on February 15 at 12pm.

These clashes commence the team’s pre-season schedule which also includes two games as part of the Carolina Challenge Cup which kicks off on February 19 in Charleston.

Kreis believes the pre-season plans will help to give New York City FC the best possible start to its first season in the MLS.

“St Mirren and Brondby will provide top class opposition for us ahead of our first competitive MLS game against Orlando on March 8," the NYCFC Head Coach said.

"We’re delighted to be taking on such strong opposition at a very important stage of our pre-season.

“Following our training camp in Florida these matches will provide the perfect opportunity to test our progress as a team.”

Ticket details will follow in due course.

Spending some preparation time at Man City's new training complex presumably as both games are at the academy stadium.

From NYCFC.com:

St. Mirren and Brondy. Not very sexy, but who's complaining? Wonder if they have any plans to stream either match?
I would be staggered if they didn't.

Spending some preparation time at Man City's new training complex presumably as both games are at the academy stadium.

Yes, it makes sense. The squad fly out and are there for @ a week.

From NYCFC.com:

Not sexy but sensible. Both should provide competitive opposition. It's a preparation game for Brondby too, before their season resumes a week later.

Was expecting English lower league opposition (some of the local Greater Manchester clubs) but really the opponents are largely irrelevant. Both of them are top flight clubs in their respective countries. It should be easy to stream the match considering the facilities are better than some lower league clubs have. They have also done the logical thing by making the fixtures open to the public as well. Would have preferred the 2nd fixture not to have been an early Sunday kickoff (bit annoying if there's train delays) but chances are I will attend both. I'll hopefully get a firsthand look at the new facilities before the upcoming FA Cup game.

Was expecting English lower league opposition (some of the local Greater Manchester clubs) but really the opponents are largely irrelevant. Both of them are top flight clubs in their respective countries. It should be easy to stream the match considering the facilities are better than some lower league clubs have. They have also done the logical thing by making the fixtures open to the public as well. Would have preferred the 2nd fixture not to have been an early Sunday kickoff (bit annoying if there's train delays) but chances are I will attend both. I'll hopefully get a firsthand look at the new facilities before the upcoming FA Cup game.

I'm thinking that those times are EST?

Yes, we've known that since early December:
New York City FC are crossing the Atlantic and heading to Manchester in February.

Ahead of their first campaign in Major League Soccer, Jason Kreis’ team will play two exhibition matches during a 10 day training camp at City Football Academy – the soon to be opened first team and youth development training facility next door to Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium.

Two exhibition matches will take place at the 7,000 capacity Academy Stadium on the City Football Academy site on February 10th and 15th. Opposition to be announced shortly.

The visit marks a special period in the club’s short history, as New York City FC will train alongside sister club, Barclays Premier League champions, Manchester City FC at the new facility, which also provides a global headquarters for the wider City Football family.

Before departing for Manchester on February 6th 2015, the team will come together for the very first time during a warm weather training camp in Florida from January 24th to February 2nd, 2015. The team will train at Patton Park in Jacksonville.
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/12/03/new-york-city-fc-announce-pre-season-plans

Vinjay, the St Mirren game is 7pm, and the Brondby game is midday GMT. I'll be at both hopefully.

Sounds good. Both teams are about the right level for this game - challenging opponents on their day, both likely to be taking it relatively easy with a mix of young and old. Both games should be a good test for a brand new team, while at the same time still not quite on the same level as the league games City should face.

I hope to be at both games. I'll probably have to take time off work and stay overnight for the first game, though.

Will hopefully get to both games. I suppose it depends on the capacity and interest

The academy stadium holds 7500, but is only allowed 2500 at the moment until it receives it's full safety certificate, which hopfully should be before these games.

Sounds good. Both teams are about the right level for this game - challenging opponents on their day, both likely to be taking it relatively easy with a mix of young and old. Both games should be a good test for a brand new team, while at the same time still not quite on the same level as the league games City should face.

I hope to be at both games. I'll probably have to take time off work and stay overnight for the first game, though.

St Mirren are woeful unless the 0-1 defeat against St Johnstone just before Xmas was a one off. Everything goes through the one paced and overweight Isaac Osbourne, who was a fringe player at Coventry about 10 years ago. You would be lucky to remember any of the others 10 minutes after the match had finished.

Brondby is more exciting, they produce decent youngsters like Wass now and of course the Laudrup brothers and later Peter Schmeichel made his name there before moving on. Dan Agger is back there along with Johan Elmander, Thomas Kahlenberg plus Albrechtsen. If anything they will be a much better test and a fair amount of nous.

Will any of our Manchester members planning on going to either of these games?
Blue moon members are planning on it... here have a look at their planned support:

NantwichBlue
Re: NYCFC Announce Two Manchester Fixtures
by NantwichBlue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:50 pm
Tanzeylee wrote:All the City fans going to these games should wear lampard masks...

Brilliant!

0001061.jpeg

STOM
yucky.gif

Blue moon members are planning on it... here have a look at their planned support:

STOM
yucky.gif
TROLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

okay guys, let's try to be grownups. Some of these "fans" are almost as lame as Cosmos supporters. I hope they wear Lampard masks this way they can feel like fucking idiots when no one cares.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10